Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can I just ask, does it come down a bit more, or was it people getting their €60 and £60 mixed up? Want to get one, but not necessarily in a rush if it's sometimes a bit cheaper again?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 missfarmer

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Can I just ask, does it come down a bit more, or was it people getting their €60 and £60 mixed up? Want to get one, but not necessarily in a rush if it's sometimes a bit cheaper again?
    Just bought this today Macy0161. The same station was in Maplin in Cork in January for 209 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

talkabout wrote: »

This is the UK site , and advertised in Sterling ,if I reserve on the website what price can i expect to pay in store when i collect it ? , someone mentioned it being over 200 euro in Irish stores recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

More than likely you can't reserve in UK and collect in Ireland.

If you're able to collect in Belfast (for example), you'll pay discounted price.

• Advertisement

I bought it online on the UK website. Cost - 70 pound sterling including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

missfarmer wrote: »
    I bought it online on the UK website. Cost - 70 pound sterling including delivery.
    Ive just ordered from the website too..

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Ive just ordered from the website too..
    :)
    Here’s to the start of a new adventure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

Just a quick word of warning, i ordered the B grade USB touchscreen wireless weather forecaster £44.99 and got it delivered to parcel motel in northern ireland. However parcel motel just emailed me saying the package is oversized and i can either collect it in the nightline depot in Finglas or have it delivered to my address for an extra €10.50. Collecting it in Finglas is fine if you live in dublin, but i live in waterford so its going to cost me €10.50 plus the €3.50 normal motel charge. Just something to be aware of.
    Its cheaper to pay maplins £8.50 delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

Let me quickly correct my last post, i rang parcel motel this morning and a very nice very helpful lady told me they now forward over sized parcels to your nearest Nightline depot for collection, it would have cost €7 but she only charged me the initial €3.50, maybe because it was the second of my free stays, anyway i'm a happy customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how big is the maplin weather station?

anyone care to post a picture. i love to get one but i dont want a huge weather station.

This is mine attached to my garden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I just bought one of these am very excited, I hope it can cope with the storms.

This is mine attached to my garden shed.

thanks for sharing that Talkabout , i presume most/all of the pole is your own though and didnt come supplied?

Yeah, i bought a pole in Homebase but you do get a small two piece pole (about 2 ft) with the station that i used to attach to the main pole. This is my second station, the first lasted two years and started playing up. For the money you pay its a great starter station but i would eventually like to get a Davis Weather Station. It will provide you with enough stats to keep any geek happy :)

Yeah, i bought a pole in Homebase but you do get a small two piece pole (about 2 ft) with the station that i used to attach to the main pole. This is my second station, the first lasted two years and started playing up. For the money you pay its a great starter station but i would eventually like to get a Davis Weather Station. It will provide you with enough stats to keep any geek happy :)

Thanks for all the info , think im going to pick one up.

Mine arrived today :D. I wont get a chance to set it up until the weekend. :(

How far away from the house does it need to be ? :confused:
    How high does it need to be ? :confused:

(No, I have not read the instructions yet):rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Here's my weather station :P

Obviously I don't own it, I use it and am responsible for it so it's as good as mine :D
    DSCF1417_zps0f0ad716.jpg
    vbulletinDSCF1417_zps0f0ad716.jpg

there is actually more out of shot too

Mine arrived today :D. I wont get a chance to set it up until the weekend. :(

(No, I have not read the instructions yet):rolleyes:

Still waiting on mine:confused:

Unregistered Users

[...]

[...]

It's important to have temperature unit couple of meters apart from building (IMO at least 3 meters) to have proper readings. Not higher than 2 meters above ground level.

But wind gauge should be as high as possible (well, reasonably high ;) ).

They're all wired up together, so out-of-a-box cables are quite short tbh.

I've wind gauge 1.7m above roof, temp gauge and rain gauge on the pole in my garden. Bought 25m of standard telephone cable and cable coupler to have them connected.

Everything works perfectly. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Mine arrived today! have got it set up, was a bit fidly but managed it. The instructions are a bit crap. I have attached it to my hen run at about 2.5m from the ground.

I am trying to get to grips with the display thing, have figure out mos stuff but can anyone explain the "Tendancy" feature for me please.

Have got it conected to the pc now and its great so far.

Also am very impressed with the speed of the delivery and the fact that the courier found me at all this is a first for any courier, usually have to find them lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Unregistered Users

At least one of them BIOS (did not check all) is a clone of FineOffset sold by maplins.

I am trying to get to grips with the display thing, have figure out mos stuff but can anyone explain the "Tendancy" feature for me please.

I'm assuming it refers to the pressure tendency, which is basically how the atmospheric pressure has changed in the last 3 hours. So the general rule of thumb is low pressure = bad weather and high pressure = good weather. So if you are at around 1010hPa pressure and the tendency is downward and stays that way you could guess that bad weather is on the way, if its upwards then some good weather. Of course its far more complicated than that and you cant really tell without looking at an actual regional pressure map, but its supposed to just give you an idea.

Combining it with the wind direction will tell you a bit more too, as again, generally, west wind means wet and mild, north cold, east cold in winter, warmer in summer, south warm. So decreasing pressure tendency and a SW wind would point to a low pressure system coming in off the atlantic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For all the new users, a quick update for you.

There is an excellent alternative to the Easyweather application available from Sandaysoft, it does work with the Maplin stations

Cumulus is the software, it's at This Page , and in answer to the inevitable question, No it's not my page, and the only involvement I have is as a user of the software.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Put up the weather station today, all working well and no problems.
    Its probably not the best place for it as its a bit close to the roof of the shed but its the only place in my garden where it will get the wind from all sides.

ws2_zps5a05f24c.jpg

ws1_zpsab6426f1.jpg

Put up the weather station today, all working well and no problems.
    Its probably not the best place for it as its a bit close to the roof of the shed but its the only place in my garden where it will get the wind from all sides.

Looks great! It makes me want to buy a private one if I had somewhere to put it.

One thing just to bear in mind is that the height where the sensor is installed is important if you want to compare it to other measurements. Temperature measurements are standardized at 2m for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm in an apartment and have mine in the corner of the balcony. Not ideal, but an interesting data collection thing in its own right. We did have to oil the moving parts though as there was a LOT of friction in it when we bought it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Have mine on my apartment balcony too, only downside it only gets wind from the front and right I building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭jirafa

Advertisement