Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

• 29-12-2013 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

With the old thread locked and the faux thread fauxed, it would seem that a new thread is required for general serious :eek: discussion of the various risks of another significant event.

On consensus of five leading models, the daily timetable looks something like this:

SUN 29th DEC -- peak wind gusts 110 km/hr, borderline level 1
    MON 30th DEC -- peak wind gusts 100 km/hr, sub-alert
    TUE 31st DEC -- peak wind gusts 110 km/hr, borderline level 1
    WED 1st JAN --- threat largely shifts south, needs to be watched
    THU 2nd JAN --- most likely a waiting day with increasing winds late
    FRI 3rd JAN ---- a strong signal for the first of two possible level 2 events (a)
    SAT 4, SUN 5 JAN --- could remain quite or very windy
    MON 6 to TUE 7 JAN --- GFS develops major windstorm, level 2/3 ??? (b)

(a) This system would develop directly from a blizzard moving southeast through the Great Lakes region merging with a coastal low on Sunday night near Cape Cod, New England. It would then move to east of Newfoundland around NYE and cross the Atlantic, in a vigorous westerly jet stream ... so far no model develops this much beyond a rather low end level 2. With the tidal peak of 1 Jan, this one has storm surge potential despite that limited degree of development.

(b) This second apparent possible major storm develops from a very strong low progged to be off the New England coast on Sat 4 Jan and moving into the south Greenland Sea during Sunday 5th, then redeveloping a centre further south that arrives over northern offshore waters between late Sunday 5th and mid-day Tuesday 7th Jan. Some model depictions currently show a windstorm quite similar to the one just ended with what would appear to me to rise to the borderline level 2 and level 3.

The other theme that is likely to be of increasing interest is a gradual cooling trend that appears to be trying to push south from the far northern Atlantic around the time storm (b) is approaching, thus introducing the prospect of a kind of Greenland Express ending to that storm. Reality may of course become more complex and require a secondary to lead in the colder air.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say about all of these prospects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

How many weeks of continuous storms?? Rhetorical question.

Looking good for a SSW, that could stop these storms.

Thank you for all the help MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I dunno, Rick, between Christmas and this weather, I feel like the stuffing has been knocked out of me by the non-stop onslaught of gales, meals and sparkly objects on the tree. I think we've had about two weeks now, it was placid and very mild to about the 12th or 13th IIRC then started to get more unsettled, we've had three fairly significant storms (one mostly just a pressure phenomenon of some note) and now I am looking at three or four more. May need to work alternate days at Odd Day MTC and get an Even Day forecaster so I can sleep regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Wexford, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Southerly winds 55 to 65 km/h (strongest on exposed coasts), gusting 90 to 110 km/hr.

Issued:Sunday 29 December 2013 06:00Valid:Sunday 29 December 2013 13:00 to Monday 30 December 2013 05:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Rain will become persistent and heavy at times especially this evening/early tonight with the risk of spot flooding. Totals of 25 to 35m

Issued:Sunday 29 December 2013 06:00Valid:Sunday 29 December 2013 13:00 to Monday 30 December 2013 06:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Oh lovely..(I don't think!)is my opinion of this storm train.
    It's going to delay proper winter Untill it stops and if systems keep barrelling out of NA into the jet stream towards us,probably delay it until March or April again at this rate making it a nuisance rather than exciting.

Have spoken to esb crews locally and was told nationwide lines were just patched up to get power back where there was tree damage and these are fragile enough still to cause more rural black outs with not too much wind.
    They are hoping for periods of fine weather to do permanent repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

whitebriar wrote: »
    Oh lovely..(I don't think!)is my opinion of this storm train.
    It's going to delay proper winter Untill it stops and if systems keep barrelling out of NA into the jet stream towards us,probably delay it until March or April again at this rate making it a nuisance rather than exciting.

Have spoken to esb crews locally and was told nationwide lines were just patched up to get power back where there was tree damage and these are fragile enough still to cause more rural black outs with not too much wind.
    They are hoping for periods of fine weather to do permanent repairs.

I totally agree, i know it is not very scientific but i feel the longer this unsettled period goes on the later our winter will be. Can see it stretching into May like last year.

• Advertisement

Keep an eye on that secondary low at around 42 hours. Nothing to be concerned about as of now. But could yet prove troublesome.

gfs-0-48.png?6?6

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Beginning to sound gusty now in Salthill, Galway & judging by the radar rain not far off either.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

It looks like Clare could avoid the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

branie wrote: »
    It looks like Clare could avoid the worst of it

You are continuously on here with your troll like comments about Clare avoiding stormy winds etc. Back your analysis up.. what makes you think or even know that these potential future storms will somehow miss an entire county on the western seaboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

looking like " so far " that the up coming lows aren't going to be too severe. but it will be interesting to watch them as they approach to see if they intensify and turn into something more potent, every possibility that one might, given the highly unstable atlantic flow were having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

met eireann have updated there warnings downgrading there wind speed from gusts of 90- 110kph to only 80kph .... seems the rainfall amount will be the issue with this system.

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Southerly winds 45 to 65 km/h, gusting 80 km/h, strongest on exposed coasts
    Issued:
    Sunday 29 December 2013 12:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 29 December 2013 12:00 to Monday 30 December 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You are continuously on here with your troll like comments about Clare avoiding stormy winds etc. Back your analysis up.. what makes you think or even know that these potential future storms will somehow miss an entire county on the western seaboard?

I spoke to Clare,she's on holiday in Tenerife:pac:

BBC forecast last night mirrored what's been forecast here,basically one low after another.

howlinwolf wrote: »
    met eireann have updated there warnings downgrading there wind speed from gusts of 90- 110kph to only 80kph .... seems the rainfall amount will be the issue with this system.

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Southerly winds 45 to 65 km/h, gusting 80 km/h, strongest on exposed coasts
    Issued:
    Sunday 29 December 2013 12:00
    Valid:
    Sunday 29 December 2013 12:00 to Monday 30 December 2013

Yeah that little low is tracking a bit further south, so just windy for the southeast coast for a while, nothing significant at all really apart from the spot flooding risk due to rain.

13123003_2912.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Not my area of knowledge but there's an interesting analysis here of the potential for sting jets between the SE of Ireland and Wales in the next few hours.

From http://www.weatherweb.net/wxwebtv2.php

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Bit of a horrible day here today. Pitch black outside already. Windy and lashing rain for the past 3 hours. Getting cold now too. It's been such a mild Winter so far but the last few mornings there's been big patches of ice in our yard (result of rainwater running down from the fields).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Icy start here in Cork, swiftly followed by a rapid thaw and rain quickly followed. Not as windy as the stephens night storm but non stop rain so spot flooding will certainly follow. Reports of trees down and a few minor accidents and with the week to remain unsettled we're not out of the woods yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

my power has been going on and off for the last couple of hours here near Limerick and its not even that windy and i only got it back on yesterday after been without since St Stephen's night. im dreading another windy night as i suspect the esb only did a quick fix in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

It's fine where I am

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Quite windy here (4 miles south of Gorey, Wexford, and 400' up) at the moment, not much rain yet.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Starting to blow a bit in NCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

greysides wrote: »
    Quite windy here (4 miles south of Gorey, Wexford, and 400' up) at the moment, not much rain yet.
    Ah now have you been out at all :D It's been quite wet since 5pm and that's a fair bit of rain,I'm just 10 miles north of you.
    Wind is noisy like a windy night,nothing serious.Gusting 38mph at the moment up here by the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its alot more windier here in north east meath then it was stephens's night and wetter.

18z NAE develops this little low overnight a bit more.

Could be some strong enough winds , more especially in the Irish sea, but interesting to check the Obs later.

13123009_2918.gif

Some strong enough winds for some southern coasts and then perhaps some very strong westerly winds for the east coast as it clears late morning.

13123006_2918.gif

13123009_2918.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Quite windy in south tipp(Clonmel) now.a lot more sustained rainfall as well.Stephens night more gusty wind,but is more constant wind and rainfall at the moment.these threads have been fantastic over the past few days.from a complete "thick" as regards weather maps,thanks to those who are posting with information.

EURO4 developing a very cheeky looking feature, only out to 12hrs at the moment though.

But some parts of UK could get a fair smack from this yet. & the south and east possibly here too.

13123006_2918.gif

If this were to materialise would be quite nasty.

13123009_2918.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Its alot more windier here in north east meath then it was stephens's night and wetter.

Definitely alot more windier, a large branch just fell from the tree at the front of the house, dont know how it missed the palin and road but it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brianville

Hey all, am I loosing it or does tonight seem a tad worse than the last few nights. Im outside bandon , wsw winds seem to be quite strong and persistent along with constant rain for the past few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Im in an exposed spot in south cork too, its not too far off the other night at all

• Advertisement

Could be a nasty one for Blackpool-Liverpool area. EURO4 showing it winding up to 65mph on the coast. Always have to be wary of those little lows that deepen quickly like that.

13123012_2_2918.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement