Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible dusting of snow for east/northeast tonight?

• 04-12-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Well it's possible, a small trough feature moves southwards through England and brushes the northeast and east of Ireland as winds veer just northeast. A much colder airmass lies behind the front and will result in a harsh frost before dawn for many before things settle down through tomorrow Wednesday.

May be worth a lamp-post watch from around 3-6am!:D

12120503_0412.gif

Dew-point 3am

12120503_0412.gif

Dew-point 6am

12120506_0412.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Hopefully, but if it ends up as rain roads will be dangerous.
    Cough mAyo cc cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

hmmm.....

231372.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

:DWeathercheck, Great to get a new post with possibility of snow tonight.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Met Eireann mention potential for Snow on higher ground tonight in East.:)

As I am not up to speed on reading all charts. If one was to go on Lamp-post watch in the east, At what lamp post height would one potentially see some white stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

eeeeeeee! makes me want to get up early tomorrow :D
    *prays to snow gods*

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82034082 think i asked about this a couple days ago seen it in the charts:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So the cold front is now moving into the north coast.

You can see the wind shift here.

xcweather.co.uk

& satellite here... http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Cold air should catch up with front through the night.

Note dew-points at or below 0c in southwest Scotland.

Lets hope the front is surprisingly active as it travels south.

Even Tiree is reporting a negative dewpoint tonight, a pretty rare occurrence!

Tiree @ 2220 = 3c/-2c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well it's possible, a small trough feature moves southwards through England and brushes the northeast and east of Ireland as winds veer just northeast. A much colder airmass lies behind the front and will result in a harsh frost before dawn for many before things settle down through tomorrow Wednesday.

May be worth a lamp-post watch from around 3-6am!:D

Dew-point 3am

12120503_0412.gif
    The 3AM dp looks a bit better

231453.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest HiRes charts show the intensity dying quickly with little if anything south of border falling excluding higher ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The science of this is above me, apologies in advance.
    I just do not understand why it has not really snowed.

Temperatures seem to be close to perfect.

I've often noticed a marked and relatively rapid drying effect prior to snow - that's clearly absent currently; what's different now?

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    Latest HiRes charts show the intensity dying quickly with little if anything south of border falling excluding higher ground.

high res precip forecasts are highly error prone in these situations, nowcasting is more appropriate imo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

high res precip forecasts are highly error prone in these situations, nowcasting is more appropriate imo.:)
    Yup radar watching and now cast situation alright but I wouldn't expect much

oh no, the radar has got my interest with that developing band, and i wanted to go sleep :(:D

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Will the Mournes kill it? likely rain now anyway but maybe the cold can catch up with it. + Irish sea showers poss. later.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

here is the thickness18_12_ukthickness.png?cb=372

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

oh no, the radar has got my interest with that developing band, and i wanted to go sleep :(:D

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Will the Mournes kill it? likely rain now anyway but maybe the cold can catch up with it. + Irish sea showers poss. later.

Looks like it should make its way down :eek:

231456.png

Curtain twitchers at the ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

3 degrees at the moment, surely the temp won't drop enough?!!

AloKildare wrote: »

Its the dew point you want to look for rather than the temp,

There is a post in here from Su Campu about what you should be looking for

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447334

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

AloKildare wrote: »

It can snow as long as the dewpoint is negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Well, that's my night sorted.
    Arm chair turned to face the street lights! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Temp 2.5c here
    Dewpoint 1.3.
    Not expecting any here but maybe the hills will get a bit.

• Advertisement

Well if it does rain , careful how you go on the roads in the morning folks its going to be chilly one , this is 8 am

231457.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Id say rain i it makes it to Dublin and maybe light sleet/snow later in the night if temp/dew point drops, 4.7c here with dp at 1c.

Dan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

just had a heavy sleet shower with an odd wet flake thrown in. temp now 2.4c and dew 0.6c. id say high ground could have lying snow above maybe 300mts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

just had a heavy sleet shower with an odd wet flake thrown in. temp now 2.4c and dew 0.6c. id say high ground could have lying snow above maybe 300mts.

Where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

On the Donegal weather channels facebook it shows a photo of a dusting of snow , pic taken in Redcastle.

secman wrote: »
    Where ?
    monaghan town.

Pangea wrote: »
    On the Donegal weather channels facebook it shows a photo of a dusting of snow , pic taken in Redcastle.
    was driving west towards enniskillen on tuesday and nearly sure i could see snowcapped mountains. think it was the cuilcagh range but would need comfirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate rain here at a little under 100m ASL plus temp has gone from 2.9 to 3.2 since the rain began :(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Rain in Navan too, black ice already being reported in some parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭highdef

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Rain in Navan too, black ice already being reported in some parts.

In the Navan area? If so.....that was quick. Not in work in the morning, thankfully

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement