Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

• 13-02-2010 8:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Mild v Cold next week.

A complex situation next week as Low Pressure comes right down over the country from the North. Bands of showers or longer periods of rain, sleet and snow from Monday. Not snow all the time and not everywhere at the same time but I think most areas will see snow at various times next week as the airmass remains very cold. Heavy rain expected at times aswell. Not nice really. But it should not be too windy at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Im hugely confused ted! Sky news weather has a snowstorm over midlands and west of ireland on Wensday, what the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any precipation is welcomed , Getting bored now of the dry weather, let it snow then let it turn to ice sheets ,then we can call it a big freeze again. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just to add here that snow, when it does occur, will be heavy and persistent so I would expect appreciable amounts of accumulation esspecially later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The latest model runs side more with rain/sleet than snow for most of the country next week. The highest ground will see snow next week. Looking at the latest runs, it is very likely that above 200m will see snow at some point on late Tue-Friday. Chances of snow falling elsewhere are low at this point. Tomorrow's runs will paint a better picture. I notice that Met Eireann are forecasting rain showers or longer periods of rain but this is not reflective of the entire country.

By mid week, we will be in an unstable cold airflow, which at this time of the year always springs surprises.

The most memorable snowfalls are always the ones ME and others did not flag in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The latest model runs side more with rain/sleet than snow for most of the country next week. The highest ground will see snow next week. Looking at the latest runs, it is very likely that above 200m will see snow at some point on late Tue-Friday. Chances of snow falling elsewhere are low at this point. Tomorrow's runs will paint a better picture. I notice that Met Eireann are forecasting rain showers or longer periods of rain but this is not reflective of the entire country.

By mid week, we will be in an unstable cold airflow, which at this time of the year always springs surprises.

The most memorable snowfalls are always the ones ME and others did not flag in advance.

Meh i wouldnt say low at all, great potential next week, many changes will occur between now and then but not far off a potentially very snowy spell of weather. Be it likely to be wet snow.

Hilly areas and mountains will get plastered at some point.

Hopefully we can drag enough cold down to get this to low levels, i am confident of temporary coverings of snow at low levels.

• Advertisement

Meh i wouldnt say low at all, great potential next week, many changes will occur between now and then but not far off a potentially very snowy spell of weather. Be it likely to be wet snow.

Hilly areas and mountains will get plastered at some point.

Hopefully we can drag enough cold down to get this to low levels, i am confident of temporary coverings of snow at low levels.

My reading was based on the current runs WC. I do share your confidence.

ps...what does meh mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    My reading was based on the current runs WC. I do share your confidence.

ps...what does meh mean?
    It is like the sound 'meh':D

It's ok WC

Looking at number 4 I am presuming you are a young or baby dragon:pac:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Meh!! (number 4)

For a while I thought you had tourettes

By the way, weatheronlone have posted their long term outlook

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=205&DAY=20100213

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The way I see it tonight there is virtually NO chance of snow below about 250m this week. We just don't get the really cold air, we're on the wrong side of marginal. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

rain or showers will spread down from the NW Sunday night. Then Monday there will be rain and drizzle in all areas. Tuesday will be slightly colder with rain and sleet on high ground. The rest of the week sees a continuation of the cold and unsettled weather with sleet at some lower levels and snow over the hills

Temps will generaly be from 3 to 5c in the North to 7 or 8c in the SW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

And the way i see it by looking at the NAE dewpoints +48

There could be pockets of negative dewpoints wrapped up in this low that could produce heavy snow at times.Mostly rain and sleet though.

10021518_1318.gif

National Forecast
    hr.gif

14 February 2010 05:09

Today Frost in many areas at first, with a risk of icy patches, but the frost will clear gradually and most places will be dry and bright during the morning. However, patches of rain and drizzle in parts of the north and northwest will spread slowly southwards as the day progresses. Amounts will be very small and most of Munster and the southern half of Leinster will stay dry. Maximum temperatures 5 to 9 Celsius, in a light west to northwest or variable wind.
    Tonight

Tonight, there will be further patches of rain and drizzle, mainly along Atlantic coasts. Not as cold as recent night, but there is still a risk of frost where breaks of cloud occur, mainly in parts of Munster, Leinster and east Connacht. Minimum temperatures Minus 1 to plus 4 Celsius. A few mist or fog patches also. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, more persistent rain will spread from the north, followed by clearer weather, with scattered showers. Turing very cold later, with a risk of wintry showers on hills in the north and northwest. Max. 6 to 9 Celsius, in a moderate west to northwest wind.

Outlook

Headline : Cold and unsettled for the rest of the week. From Tuesday to Saturday, inclusive, there will be some, dry intervals, but occasional showers will occur in most areas also, especially on Tuesday and on Wednesday, when showers are likely to be most widespread. Some of the showers will be heavy and of hail, with a risk of thunder and there is also a risk of sleet or snow, mainly over mountains. It will be cold, with daytime temperatures in the range 5 to 8 Celsius and frost will be widespread at night, with a risk of icy patches. Breezy much of the time also.

Thursday AM. High ground in west munster, connaught and ulster most at risk but moderate risk fo snow at lower levels at times, according to latest GFS for midweek.
    h850t850eu.png
    uksnowdepth.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

looks to me like a week when you're better off sticking you're head out the window and hoping,i have a feeling we will all get a nice surprise at some stage during the week.

jambofc wrote: »
    looks to me like a week when you're better off sticking you're head out the window and hoping,i have a feeling we will all get a nice surprise at some stage during the week.

i love the showery set ups coming from the NW. Keep an eye on the radars and you might just be lucky enough to be in the path of a heavy prolonged shower or thunderstorm. Love the way the sky turns dark navy and you can see the precip rolling down the mountain towards you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

well netweather and other sites are forecasting maxes of 2c from monday and sleet and snow constantly and not much rain so a mixed type of preciptation.... they are also forecasting mins of -7c aswell so id say that if any snow comes it has a chance of staying rather than like last week...

The thing about next week is that the cold and mild airmasses will be having a good fight and cold will win out, which is unusual, but also means we have a very good chance of a snow event next week at some stage. Most likely in the second half of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Su Campu wrote: »
    The way I see it tonight there is virtually NO chance of snow below about 250m this week. We just don't get the really cold air, we're on the wrong side of marginal. :rolleyes:

Ever the voice of reason Su Campu, I think I will go with your forecast after the disappoinments of previous weeks. I think rain is most likely for Ireland given the marginality of the situation allied to the often overlooked fact that we are in the firing line of the Gulf Stream!

Darkman2, love your ramps however most of the time they are wrong :)
    I hope though this week you are right, would like to see a bit of snow.....however instinct tells me snow will not materialise :mad:

Derek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the charts on page 1 of this tread seems to suggest tha snow will be mainly confined to the west and north with some in the midlands, with nothing in the east and south. Is there much chance of snow in Eastern counties this week apart from the higher areas of Wicklow?

derekon wrote: »

Darkman2, love your ramps however most of the time they are wrong :)

I don't think so. It's the opposite in fact. And im certain this week will be as the OP suggests. Wait and see. ;)

WC has the right idea. Unlike others he seems able to grasp and understand the evolution this week properly wrt snow potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    I don't think so. It's the opposite in fact. And im certain this week will be as the OP suggests. Wait and see. ;)

WC has the right idea. Unlike others he seems able to grasp and understand the evolution this week properly wrt snow potential.

Well if there is snow at the lowest levels this week then I will in fact admit I was wrong, no problem. This isn't a competition, like you seem to think. Just everyone giving their opinions, so quit the paranoia...

well i dont know about you but next week is turning into a very cold week with -10c possible again! just look at this.. itll likely be downgraded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

There does seem a slight upgrade on the possibility of some sleety type wet snow showers at lower levels this coming week, but I am sticking with my original thoughts that this week will be nothing but a load of crap regarding anything significantly wintry. It will feel cold, yes, due to the colossal dampness of the air brought about by the slack area of low pressure forecast to sit over us for the coming week. A typical dirty Irish Feb week coming up I think, cold, damp with occassional cold rain or sleet/wet snow showers and generally mank overall. Nothing to get remotely excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

did anyone catch the bbc country file forecast? if so what were there precipitation charts showing for midweek?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Well we have a very divided camp. I imagine the weather will meet somewhere in the middle which means cold biting vicious rain, occaisional sleet and a bit windy (in Dublin at least, I wouldn't dare presume for anywhere else in the country!)

OwenC, enjoy your 12" when it arrives. (i have the sneaking suspicion that he has been talking about pizza all along) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Well if there is snow at the lowest levels this week then I will in fact admit I was wrong, no problem. This isn't a competition, like you seem to think. Just everyone giving their opinions, so quit the paranoia...

Maybe not but I know if I was having a bet who my money would be behind :P

I already said you are on my ignore list.:rolleyes: That means I don't want to read your posts and I don't want posts from you directed at me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There does seem a slight upgrade on the possibility of some sleety type wet snow showers at lower levels this coming week, but I am sticking with my original thoughts that this week will be nothing but a load of crap regarding anything significantly wintry. It will feel cold, yes, due to the colossal dampness of the air brought about by the slack area of low pressure forecast to sit over us for the coming week. A typical dirty Irish Feb week coming up I think, cold, damp with occassional cold rain or sleet/wet snow showers and generally mank overall. Nothing to get remotely excited about.

if that is the case then some night during the week there could be accumulations in the west and north west. anything that falls by day i'm expecting to be of rain and sleet. the ideal scenario would be if the low cleared off to the south west. yr.no is showing snow next weekend for me. so at the moment they must think the low will eventually clear off allowing north easterly winds in. however, it'll more than likely be showing something different tomorrow. i have a feeling we could be seeing this low merge with another one and eventually push back up from the south west.

for frig sake didnt anyone see that image it said 2c maxes and -9c mins how is there going to be rain in that!!!!! and most of the time going by that it will probably be below 0c as we are usually alot colder than those temps (if it stays like that!).... why do people always make the south sound like the whole country is getting the same weather as them !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

if that is the case then some night during the week there could be accumulations in the west and north west. anything that falls by day i'm expecting to be of rain and sleet. the ideal scenario would be if the low cleared off to the south west. yr.no is showing snow next weekend for me. so at the moment they must think the low will eventually clear off allowing north easterly winds in. however, it'll more than likely be showing something different tomorrow. i have a feeling we could be seeing this low merge with another one and eventually push back up from the south west.

yr.no have been showing snow showers for me as well over the last 5 or 6 days, and always 5 or 6 days away. Probably will happen sometime if a trend is being established, but whether it snows or not, there is nothing in the output today to suggest anything memerable or unusual is on the way.

Of course, little features in the flow may surprise us, but going by the last 3 weeks of promised interest, I'd not hold my breath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement