Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 DCM (& Limerick & Berlin) Graduates Log: How far can we go?

• 25-11-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

As our treasured novices thread is unstickied, it’s time for us graduates to pull up our big girl/boy pants and embrace the bigger world of running.

We are a mixed bunch of runners, all ages, all speeds, all keen to move on and progress after the superb mentoring of ariana`and her backroom team of Kellygirl & skyblue46. They were consistently amazing.

Our first marathon has had a huge impact on our lives, taking over every spare moment as the weeks grew closer, the distances longer, until ultimately, that precious medal was put around our necks. Now that it’s over, I think it’s fair to say, we all need some structure, guidance and motivation to get us back into the swing of things. I’ve been asked to get things started.

So the graduates plan, devised by Testosterscone, is here
    Pacing calculator link

Previous threads are here:

2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

I really hope boards running regulars and elites will click ’follow’ and pop in now and then to check up on us. Most importantly, one super and sound runner has selflessly agreed to take a special interest in us and pass on his wisdom and call us out when we get notions.

I give you OOnegative, running regularly since 2010, has a log here, recent DCM pacer who achieved a marathon PB in Cologne this year in a seriously very impressive 3:15:10. I’d list more of his PB’s if he was on Strava. Maybe we can work on that :D

In keeping with previous years, a few questions to get us started (flagrantly copy and pasted):

A: What are your next goals?
    B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?

Let's get logging!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks juke, I will do my best to help along the way. Just one point to start if I don’t know something I won’t answer it, I don’t want to be handing out advice that is wrong. Ok mentor hat off, I followed the 2018 Novices thread closely and know there is plenty of fine runners going to be joining in here. Best of luck with the next step folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

To support a few local charity runs over Christmas.
    Maybe the Berlin marathon if I get in or DCM 2019.
    Dungarvan in Feb and the Mallow 10 in March.

I will tip away 2 short mid week runs and a long weekend at the weekend.

Another sub 2 half marathon under my belt
    Break 4 hrs 30 in a marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck to ye all on this. You're in very safe hands with OO- :)

As for telling people to slow down, thankfully my days of needing to do that are over. You have a shiny new plan with a pace calculator attached. Please trust it. Myself and a few others can attest to the benefits of using the paces indicated even if they feel strange at first. The very easy run days will keep you fresh for the session and long run days so do your best to stick to them.

May ye all have a great year and I'm sure I'll be reading about ever tumbling PBs :)

I’ll answer these to seeing as i’ll be part of the thread:

Sub 18 min 5k at the CPC 5k next March

A 10 week block of 5k specific training leading up to above mentioned 5k, starting base building towards that this week.

Having run PB’s from 5k to marathon all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Delighted to see this start and great mentor for you too. Best of luck all of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good to everyone and I will be following with interest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭chabsey

Ran the Florence marathon today, that's it for me in 2018.

chabsey wrote: »

Say you got wet? Seen some of it on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

chabsey wrote: »

Ahhh....now I know who you are. Welcome fellow graduate, and well done, impressive :D

Get back lifting heavy weights I mean, run, regularly and consistently and somehow find a bit of speed :p

Hoping to follow the base building plan in part for the next couple of months. I've entered Jingle Bells and am thinking about Raheny. I need motivation in winter, though, I don't to 'the dark'.

No marathon for me next year - but I do want to see how I can progress in shorter races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭chabsey

OOnegative wrote: »
    Say you got wet? Seen some of it on Facebook.

Soaked through while waiting for the start, it only got worse from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

juke wrote: »

Thanks juke and 00Negative!

A. get quicker at 5k and 10ks (but first rest this dodgy shin)
    B. I was planning on easy, easy running and looking at my form but apparently more rest is needed. I do still want to try a mile race at NIA Live however, all going well.

C. I hope I'll have achieved 5k and 10k PBs, and be raring to attack another marathon in 2020...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Thank you Juke for starting this thread and thank you OOnegative for taking us on.

A: To take my marathon training to the next level with the grads plan.

B: I start my training for Manchester in December. That will keep me busy until April. At the moment I'm working my way through the base building plan.

C: I hope to be a stronger runner, with my half marathon and full marathon times improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nice one Juke for getting this of the ground! OOnegative, I am thrilled that you have agreed to guide us along the way, thank you!

I'd like to focus on my pacing, first and foremost and also develop a better understanding of my limitations.
    Would like to have a couple of races under my belt by March/April, hopefully with a couple of PBs along the way!

I am aiming to have completed the base phase plan by around the first week of January, before tackling the 5-10k plan.

I'd like to be an overall stronger runner with a lot more running knowledge behind me.

Not sure what people’s plans are post doing the grads base building but from my experience and time in Ireland the following are great races and are all well worth running:

Raheny 5 mile January
    Trim 10 mile February
    Bohermeen Half March
    Kinvara Half March

Apologies to those living in the South who are here, have no knowledge of races in that part of the world. Just some ideas to throw out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    Apologies to those living in the South who are here, have no knowledge of races in that part of the world. Just some ideas to throw out there.

I think the Road Races 2019 thread is a great resource to highlight some of the more well known races. Happy to give feedback on any of the ones I've done for anyone looking for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah brilliant to see this started up! Best of luck to all of you on your onward running journey. You are in very capable hands with OONegative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks, Juke, for getting this up and running. In good time, too, as my running usually falls off a cliff in December.

Thanks to OON for agreeing to help us out.

I didn't participate as much in the Novices thread as I was following a different plan, so I'm looking forward to being more involved in this thread.

These change daily, but now I'm settled on a plan, they should stick a bit more. The main aim until the summer is to get faster at 10k. It's the distance I've had my best and worst performances at. Then, DCM 2019 will be the focus for the second half of the year. I'd like to race a half on the road to DCM too.

I'm nearly finished the Grads Base Plan, but through injury and illness, I followed it in a bit of a haphazard way, so I've another base plan to follow until the end of January, before starting the Grads 10k-Half Plan. If I'm feeling in good shape at the end of December, I might hop aboard the Grads plan then.

Faster, fitter, better, stronger. Aside from PBing lots and lots, I've a couple of less concrete goals that I want to achieve, one of which is structuring my year better, so that I don't lose consistency after a goal race. I've an awful habit of training really hard, running a goal race and then just messing about for a month of longer after. It would be much better if I took some planned time off post goal race and then got back into training with a renewed vigour. I also need to stamp out 2018's habit of signing up for races that don't suit the plan I'm on.
    Not sure what people’s plans are post doing the grads base building but from my experience and time in Ireland the following are great races and are all well worth running:

Raheny 5 mile January
    Trim 10 mile February
    Bohermeen Half March
    Kinvara Half March

I'm already signed up for some of these. #eager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Wooop, we have a grads thread! Delighted to see this :) Thanks juke for getting it started and thanks OONegative for taking us on!
    I'll answer the questions later. Looking forward to reading everyone's answers and plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Raheny 5 mile January
    Trim 10 mile February
    Bohermeen Half March
    Kinvara Half March

I am definitely doing Bohermeen and I'll take a look at Trim too.

Really enjoyed Ratoath half this year so would like to tackle that one again!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

Thanks for setting this up and for taking us under your wing 00negative . I've been a bit lost and haphazard of late with running so looking forward to ticking runs off a color coded spreadsheet.

Run clare series 5k, 5m, 10k, 10m.
    Kinvara 10k.
    Galway 5k series.
    Killarney half in July DCM19. And hopefully another half or two thrown in along the way

B: What type of training do you intend to do over the winter? Currently doing 5k 3 times a week. But looking forward to following a plan again but unsure which one?!

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? I want to consistently run a sub 25 min 5k. My PB is 24.07 but that was by pure chance. A sub 55 min 10k and knock 16 mins off my DCM time of 4.46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Helenasca wrote: »

C: Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? I want to consistently run a sub 25 min 5k. My PB is 24.07 but that was by pure chance. A sub 55 min 10k and knock 16 mins off my DCM time of 4.46

Snap. Very similar times to me and to what I'm aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

Very excited to see this up and running and to read everyone’s answers! Thanks to OONegative for taking us on, and Juke for setting this up. Similar to Huzzah! I did a different plan to everyone for the marathon so didn’t post a lot so excited to be more involved.

To finish out the rest of this year nice and easy, enjoying the festive runs, work on short fast stuff the first half of next year and Dublin marathon all over again for the second half. I would love to break 22 mins in the 5k early in the year and dare I say 21 mins possibly by the end of next year.. races coming up are Waterford ac half, few festive short runs then and John Treacy 10 mile in February.

No plan for now, just work in a Tempo, speed session and long run each week. I’m not sure yet whether to go with a plan from January or not, but I will be working on 5k and 10k speed I think.

I would love to break 21 minutes in the 5k but that might take a little longer than 12 months. Hopefully 1:45 or faster in the half, and maybe 3:40 in the full. I just want to be more experienced, have better form and stay injury free mainly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thanks a million for setting this up, juke! And for OO for looking out for us.

Currently on the bench getting physio for the next 4-6 weeks, so the immediate goal is to get back running.

Once I've the injury behind me, I'm planning on following the Grads Base Plan and then the 10km-Half plan. No marathons for 2019, so Half is as far as I'll go for a race.

Not sure how realistic / achievable these are but would love to get sub 50 for 10k and sub 1:55 for a Half. Current PB's are 52:30 and 1:58:06. (I was considering saying sub 1:50 half, but that sounds very ambitious to me).

More importantly tho, I'd hope to have a full injury-free year behind me. I've missed it so much in the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Delighted to see this thread up and running. Thanks Juke and OONegative.

A. What are your next goals?
    I feel like my fitness has slipped a bit since DCM as I took a few weeks off so I want to get back running regularly and hopefully get fitter.

B. What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Hoping to get out for two or three short runs during the week and a longer run each Saturday morning.

C. Where to you hope to see yourself in 12 months with your running?

I really want to improve at the shorter distances, 5k, 10k and Half. No more marathons for me so going to focus on these distances. Would love a sub 60 for 10 k (PB is 60 min 32 seconds so should be doable next year!), really want a sub 2.30 Half (current PB of 2.36 from the DCM series in September).

I want to continue to love running and just get out on the roads and run for the sheer enjoyment of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

So, paces.

I have a few questions :o

Using the calculator, we work off our most recent 5k time, I understand.

The plans uses a few different terms though. Where does 'hard' fall on the table terms?
    And recovery? I'm guessing very easy?
    MP, based off the table - or actual DCM pace?

Very Easy |Easy |Easy/Moderate|Moderate|Easy Tempo|Tempo

Threshold|CV|Aerobic Power|V.O2 Max|Anaerobic Endurance|Anaerobic Power|Speed Endurance|Speed

Also how should I approach a progressive run? Eg week 1 has '60 min progression, easy to MP'.

I did this Sunday and just cut it down into 4 blocks increasing the time every 15 min. Should it be more a more subtle and gradual increase? I found it very hard to try be consistent. I mainly failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Thanks to Juke and Oonegative for this thread. Very much appreciated :)
    Just starting to get back to running with a bit of speed. It's taken a few weeks for the legs to remember but getting there.

A. What are your next goals?
    Immediately is Jingle Bells 5k so I can figure out what my paces should be. Honestly have no idea as last 5k was half a year ago. Hopefully less than 28mins. Do a lot more races in coming year.

B. What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    I like the cold and dark! Not so much the rain but can put up with it. Sessions with my club, cross country races, mountain running, start doing drills, and get back to strength training.

C. Where do you hope to see yourself in 12 months with your running?
    To reach these times: 5k-25mins 10k-55mins Half Marathon-1:59 Marathon-4:15

So, paces.

I have a few questions :o

Using the calculator, we work off our most recent 5k time, I understand.

The plans uses a few different terms though. Where does 'hard' fall on the table terms?
    And recovery? I'm guessing very easy?
    MP, based off the table - or actual DCM pace?

Very Easy |Easy |Easy/Moderate|Moderate|Easy Tempo|Tempo

Threshold|CV|Aerobic Power|V.O2 Max|Anaerobic Endurance|Anaerobic Power|Speed Endurance|Speed

Also how should I approach a progressive run? Eg week 1 has '60 min progression, easy to MP'.

I did this Sunday and just cut it down into 4 blocks increasing the time every 15 min. Should it be more a more subtle and gradual increase? I found it very hard to try be consistent. I mainly failed.

If skyblue46 or Testosterone are about i’ll let them answer the questions re the paces for grads plan.

The progression run as I would do it is would start 15mins Easy, 15 mins Easy-Steady, 15 mins Steady and finally 15 mins MP. Try and keep the paces as consistent as possible would be best but may take a few tries to get used to that.

Steady pace would be 20-30secs slower than MP, Easy-Steady a pace between Easy pace and Steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Do we have to use a 5k time specifically? I thought it just had to be a recent race?

Do we have to use a 5k time specifically? I thought it just had to be a recent race?

I would use your most recent race, if that’s DCM then that gives you the truest reflection of what paces you should be using for the plan. That would be my interpretation anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

Thanks Juke for setting up and OOnegative for coming on board.

I’m off running for a few weeks as need to recover from this injury. My low impact exercising so far has been lacklustre to say the least. For the next few weeks I plan to swim twice a week, and one session of cycling in the gym. And do my physio exercises.

Hoping to be back running for Jan, and start the grads base plan. Also want to introduce some strength and conditioning which I completely skipped in marathon training!

Get back to my pre children times of sub 60 10ks regularly and sub 27 min 5ks. Would like to do one half marathon, but no marathon until the kiddos are older and I am faster!

Advertisement