Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm starting to wonder how all of you have so much more to look up - all I can think of are bigger families (my fathers side acted traditionally COI even if some generations were RC - often two/three kids max) or I really did spend FAR too much at the GRO in the past.

I did sometimes bring my mother and/or my partner in to break the daily limits. More than once.

Or you're working down far more than I do?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I need staff for all the work I've made for myself!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I also worked the relative train but I have a full time job so my visits to the GRO are limited and so are my funds.

I'm also going over everything in my tree and making sure I have every possible cert now that I can.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

O.M.G. Searching for one family and just saw a marriage record not connected to me where the bride and groom had the same surname, living at different addresses, not unusual you might say, however their fathers have the same names too?? I'm gonna take it that the registrar made a mistake, and move on quickly!

I've found that there were two girls of roughly the same age in Dublin called Dorothy Walters, both had parents called George and Mary. And they grew up near each other but are totally unrelated.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Tullyneasky

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    O.M.G. Searching for one family and just saw a marriage record not connected to me where the bride and groom had the same surname, living at different addresses, not unusual you might say, however their fathers have the same names too?? I'm gonna take it that the registrar made a mistake, and move on quickly!

It may not be a mistake, Jellybaby. I have a similar situation, where the bride and groom had the same rare surname and both fathers were called Denis (different occupations, though). Turned out they were cousins (church register showed dispensation). Both mothers were called Ellen, too! You won't believe what they called their children....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder how all of you have so much more to look up - all I can think of are bigger families.......Or you're working down far more than I do?
    I’m in that position also – I’ve not much to follow-up on. For many of us I think the age /generation gap is important – my grandparents were born in the 1890’s, so it never was difficult to obtain info. on them – family knowledge, gravestone ages, etc. But most are not in the online GRO as most of their deaths are post 1965. Seven of my eight GGparents were born pre-1864, so GRO does not help on births. Researchers now in their twenties - thirties would have far more people in the GRO records.

Prior to the launch of the GRO online, I used CLDS and copied/saved the GRO references, refining them as more info became available, until I had it narrowed to 1 or 2. Knowing children’s birth dates put me on track for parents' marriages, and the NLI baptism microfilms provided the necessary info. The few of those GRO searches have now been done, I’ve left the GRO reference on file but not bothered to copy the certs., because ‘readers’ change whereas GRO references do not. (I have often saved NLI baptism s as .jpgs).

Where I had a few minor successes was on death certs – normally bereft of geno. information, one gave – as the informant - the married name of a first cousin 2 x removed (born 1890’s, daughter of my GGaunt) One other birth is eluding me, post 1915, but a death should be there so I've to work with just one half of the equation.....

But, do I really need this far out? Where does one stop? How much detail is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

But, do I really need this far out? Where does one stop? How much detail is enough?

Never enough - I started collecting information on everyone with my surname in the general area where my great great grandfather was born. I have an excel spreadsheet with nearly 5000 names now. I've managed to find the links between various branches of the family by checking back on what seemed to be irrelevant information...

Another great grandparent was born on an island, and I'm busy setting up a database on all who were born there - they were all related to each other. Happy days.

I really wish I'd created a good Excel spreadsheet. I used to use one and I unfortunately let it drift but I understand how useful it can be for cross referencing. Something to do in the winter of my life, which has more or less already begun.

I've really opened up my great-grandmother's family, who have a really common surname and a lot of children. I've finally figured out which of 9/17 children lived to adulthood and married most of them off, found the next generation.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Through a birth record in 1866 I just discovered my great great grandparents were in Castleblayney Workhouse. Breaks my heart imagining such a thing. He was noted as being a pauper. :(

Mollymoo19 wrote: »
    We may not do knighthoods, but you can vote to make her a rockstar :D
    http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/2016/09/rockstar-genealogists-2016-voting-now.html

http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

John Grenham = Silver
    Claire Santry = Bronze

"The "gold award-winners", Superstar Genealogists, will be posted tomorrow."
    http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

John Grenham = Silver
    Claire Santry = Bronze

"The "gold award-winners", Superstar Genealogists, will be posted tomorrow."
    http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/

Well deserved to both!

Now, how do we go about getting Boards.ie/Genealogy nominated for next year!

I have not heard his name before. :confused: But then I'm not really interested in genetic genealogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I have been gathering loads of certs and tying up loose ends. I even managed to figure out one particular family mystery (a stepson living with my relations but no idea who he was and how he fit into the wider family). The downside is I've been staying up really late every night and I'm exhausted :p

My serious regret is not doing research a few years ago when they put up the whole index. Few deaths in the 50s - 70s I would love to pin down.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The downside is I've been staying up really late every night and I'm exhausted

Me too! Because of the experience with the disappearing indexes, I decided to go at it hell for leather, as sure as hell someone is going to pull the plug. Especially when someone figures that that a revenue stream has disappeared from the government coffers. I figure I've already not paid over 1000euro for certs I've downloaded, not to mention the many red herrings I've managed to check and chuck out of the database.

Yep, I've had a few late nights too. Gotten lots of good stuff. I've not paid about €400 in certs because of it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One marriage alone has saved me €160 quid (assuming it ended up being the last cert to order). Managed to look at every cert for my mother's obscure surname in an entire registration district which has given me various bits and pieces - €300 at least there.

I've saved a lot of money too. I don't think the GRO should worry too much about losing this income from me as I had stopped buying records and they wouldn't have got it from me anyway. The further out from the stem I go the less I am inclined to hand over any money. I did pay a heck of a lot of euros for the most important ones, and even for a lot of irrelevant ones I didn't want. They have had more than enough out of me already.

• Advertisement

I agree with you Jelly but the thing is that if I had been presented with an online ordering system with immediate certs, over time I would have handed over lots more money for more distance relatives' records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Anyone else going to Clare Roots this weekend?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

One of my ‘other’ hobbies is sailing. A favour is needed for Fergal, our popular Mod over on Sailing & Boating . He, in the odd half hours free from caring for wife and son (in wheelchairs) builds boats. Beautiful boats. He is a finalist in Ireland’s “DIY King” competition and neck and neck (51 : 49) with a person who paints sheds whereas THIS is his competition entry, built entirely from scratch (including a complete engine rebuild) in his back yard, under an awning. The winning prize would greatly help progress on his current project* (see below).

I am asking you to please support him by registering / voting here – it only take a minute. Please do it!!
    *His current project is a wheel-chair friendly cruiser to enable his family spend time together on the water. That project started with a sunken wreck, salvaged from a riverbed. You can see the work in progress here here . Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

I wonder if anyone could advise me on Dublin newspapers in 1892. I have a death cert for a possible relative who died as a result of injuries from a fall from a cart. I wondered if such a thing would be mentioned in the paper, and would anyone know them well enough to suggest where I should start.

Find My Past have a good newspaper archive which might be as good as any to start with.

If you'd like to mention the name in post I can check for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Find My Past have a good newspaper archive which might be as good as any to start with.

If you'd like to mention the name in post I can check for you.

Thanks for that! I'm going to the NLI this week, so I was more wondering which papers to order. You could search for James Fay- his death cert says he had the accident on June 27th, and died on July 4th. It was registered in the North Dublin district- though I can't make out the name of the hospital. Thanks again.

No need to order papers - just use one of the pcs in the Genealogy Room, where they have free access to both the Irish News Archive and Findmypast which has access to the British Newspaper Archive, containing many Irish papers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

rhapsody wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I'm going to the NLI this week, so I was more wondering which papers to order.

The Dublin newspaper microfilms are in self service filing cabinets in the microfilm room.
    The main papers for the time were Freeman's Journal, Irish Times, Evening Telegraph and Evening Mail,

Thanks folks for the Dublin newspaper advice- I'm looking forward to getting some more details on this, as well as the 1921 suicide I mentioned in the handwriting decipher thread :)

• Advertisement

On the subject of newspaper archives I note from Claire Santry that the Irish Times is in the process of being added to the Find My Past newspaper archive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement