Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christanity derived from paganism

• 28-05-2004 10:55pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I am just reading the da vinci code here and there is a section on how the catholic beliefs were derived for a majority of pagon symbols as set up constantine. I've searched the web and found lots of different bits and pieces. I was just wondering if you could tell me what you know on the subject.
    Espically the voting on Jesus stance as the son of god.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I'm no expert on the subject (and i haven't bothered to 'become' one by googling) but obviously a lot pagan traditions were incorporated into christianity. Things like cycles of fasting and feasting, celebrations at Spring time etc. Does the date the 25th of December have any bearing on when Jesus was supposedly born (3 days after the Winter Solstice) ? Was he really crucified in the Spring, coincidentally at a time of rejuvenation in Nature ?

Organised religion probably began with the first agrarian societies as it played a very functional role in day to day life. These traditions weren't going to simply go away once Christianity came along..

davej

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

A lot of catolic celebrations were placed at the same time as pagan ones to cover the old ways and introduce the new.

Granted the calender is so out of whack that it only reflects this occasionally.

It was all adapted for change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Some of the borrowing was quite conscious and deliberate, Christmas is an example; the best date one could put for Christ's birthday would be some time during the lambing season if the shepherds felt it necessary to be out at night, but Christmas is the time of the celebration of the nativity, not an aniversary and it was chosen to coincide with and compete with Pagan ceremonies.

Other practices continued because they were just what people were used to doing.

Of course everyone borrows liberally from everyone else. The pentagram loved by witches we probably borrowed from the Christians (although they don't use it much any more themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

A lot of Christians seem to associate that symbol with Satan, even though it's the inverted one that is the one associated with Satanists. To my knowledge, the 5 points represent the elements and the spirit, self or something like that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yep, thats the one. Four elements and Spirit. Although I wouldn't associate it with satanists. Wiccans perhaps.

• Advertisement

I used to wear one (a Pentegram) a lot, till it started giving me a rash around my neck. I lost it now, however...

I've seen both of them and I can see why people mix them up...

People just aren't aware.

The churches tend to uphold this state of unawareness....

This is true. Perhaps people do not wish to be aware. Ignorance is bliss.

It's easier to just not care and go to church every now and then.

But if they are happy, then who is to stop them.

True enough :)

Oddly enough though, I've noticed that people are willing to learn, or at least interested...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kennett
    A lot of Christians seem to associate that symbol with Satan, even though it's the inverted one that is the one associated with Satanists.

The inverted pentacle is also used as a symbol of the Second Degree in Wicca.

It's worth adding, perhaps, that the inverted cross, is not solely associated with Satanism either, but also with St. Peter.

I wasn't actually aware of this. Thanks for the info :)

Originally posted by Kennett
    True enough :)

Oddly enough though, I've noticed that people are willing to learn, or at least interested...

Yeah, generally are interested. But generally aren't interested enough to get up and investigate. :)

True. Just so long as I don't get branded a worshipper of Satan, I'll be fine, lol

Good luck with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Beatrix

There's a very interesting *but difficult to read* book which has been thoroughly researched called "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail". It researches the possibility of Jesus not having died on the cross at all. In fact it investigates a lot of possibilities which go against the basic Catholic beliefs and all the possibilities seem quite relevant. In my opinion I don't think that Catholicism derived from Paganism. I think that it did, however, overthrow the Pagan beliefs through the Crusades and suchlike.

Constantine merely accepted Catholicism. Contrary to popular belief he was not an advocate of Christianity as he became somewhat Christian on his deathbed. He allowed Christianity in his kingdom because the Christian beliefs didn't conflict with all the other numerous Pagan ideas floating around his kingdom. Only beliefs which would upset the peace in the country were stopped. Catholicism entering the country then was just a policy of Laissez Faire than anything akin to converting. This could be how people could mistake the idea that he influenced Catholicism. It wasn't anything to do with him. It was the people blending with the other cultures as a result of the laissez faire which resulted in confusion of religion...

Or so it appears to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by Beatrix
    There's a very interesting *but difficult to read* book which has been thoroughly researched called "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail". It researches the possibility of Jesus not having died on the cross at all. In fact it investigates a lot of possibilities which go against the basic Catholic beliefs and all the possibilities seem quite relevant. In my opinion I don't think that Catholicism derived from Paganism. I think that it did, however, overthrow the Pagan beliefs through the Crusades and suchlike.

Constantine merely accepted Catholicism. Contrary to popular belief he was not an advocate of Christianity as he became somewhat Christian on his deathbed. He allowed Christianity in his kingdom because the Christian beliefs didn't conflict with all the other numerous Pagan ideas floating around his kingdom. Only beliefs which would upset the peace in the country were stopped. Catholicism entering the country then was just a policy of Laissez Faire than anything akin to converting. This could be how people could mistake the idea that he influenced Catholicism. It wasn't anything to do with him. It was the people blending with the other cultures as a result of the laissez faire which resulted in confusion of religion...

Or so it appears to me.

You are on the right track there....
    Constantine was not infact Christian and only allowed christianity to become the governing religion because the masses were going that way and he didnt want to be on the losing side.
    He infact, was only baptised on his deathbed, against his wishes.

When the Holy Blood & The Holy Grail came out in the eighties it caused quite a stir, my belief because what it talks about is true and people are too comfortable with what they have been fed on religion to attempt to understand or to even want to know the truth.

Cristianity was infact built on many pagan beliefs and rituals, its funneh really.

btw, beatrix...havnt seen you in creative writing lately...hope to see you post soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Beatrix wrote:

Or so it appears to me.

The Da Vinci code says all that, but it's a much easier read (I read in 2 days) it also goes on about pagan symbols which da vinci and others put in their work of arts. Da Vinci code is well worth a read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ancathach

Talliesin wrote:
    The inverted pentacle is also used as a symbol of the Second Degree in Wicca.

It's worth adding, perhaps, that the inverted cross, is not solely associated with Satanism either, but also with St. Peter.

I was looking back over the arhives. An excellent point- the inverted pentagram is also connected to magics of density- that is to say magics that primarily manifest in Malkuth.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kennett wrote:
    True. Just so long as I don't get branded a worshipper of Satan, I'll be fine, lol

Just to add my two cents, Satanists don't worship the devil. They opposed the Christian Church when it went all radical and started trying to gain power around the world. Satanists called themselves that to anger the church and chose the sign of St Peter who represents the "real church" in their eyes. It's just through Hollywood that it became a sign of the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Talliesin wrote:
    The pentagram loved by witches we probably borrowed from the Christians (although they don't use it much any more themselves).

Most historians agree that the pentagram was originally a viking symbol. My uncle spent a lot of time studying this and that's what he told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I always associated the pentagram with Judaism, (y'know the star of david thing?)
    did someone say Malkuth?

How to perform the Quabbalistic Cross
    Firstly, extend the first two fingers on the right hand.

Touch your forehead, and say:
    "Ateh" (A-tay)

Touch groin, and say:
    "Malkuth" (Mal- koot)

Touch right shoulder and say:
    "Ve geburah" (Vay geb-oo-rah)

Touch left shoulder and say:
    "Ve gedulah" (Vay ged-you-lah)

Touch heart and say:
    "Leolam" (Lay-oh-lahm)

Cross arms on chest with hands to shoulders (right arm over left) and say:
    "Amen".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

there is a difference between the star of david tf-933.gif

and a pentagram
    pentagram.gif

Thaed wrote:
    there is a difference between the star of david...
    and a pentagram
    Though associating the two has been used to represent 5=6; that the macrocosm and the microcosm are one.

Both symbols have also been used to represent sparkly bits in completely aesthetic (though not often successfully aesthetic) designs too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭akari no ryu

iguana wrote:
    Most historians agree that the pentagram was originally a viking symbol. My uncle spent a lot of time studying this and that's what he told me.
    I don't think so. I am led to believe (from a quick google) that it predates the vikings massively.
    It was used by greek philosophers, who I suspect took it from the middle east.

Hi all,
    Jes Jes asked me to share some timing details for you.
    Christ was born under a wandering star called Antares and it merged for 14 days with the planet Mars on the Spring Equinox about 4 years before ad began. His birthday was shifted to suit the displacement of a persistent pagan practice called the winter soslstice. The summer solstice 21/22 June is displaced to the 27th and renamed St John the Baptist. It was Constantines mammy who was the Christian. In 432 ad he created the Catholic (universal) church to use as single authority over his lands and the souls of his subjects. A shrewd move. The bizarre details of how Easter is calculated today are at http://www.druidschool.com/site/1030100/page/471149/site
    Grá
    Con

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

First can I just say that on the topic of the Da Vinci Code, it's just a book, and in my opinion not a very well written one. Also there are quite a lot of questions over the theories and research in both it and the book that inspired it The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. As to Christainity deriving it's beliefs from paganism, it didn't. As the Christain church spread through pagan and heathen europe the local customs and practises were adopted and converted to make recruitment easier. Which is why Christmas is at the solstice and not in the lambing season ie. Spring, as it should be. As to the Pentacle, it was in fact used long before the Vikings and as was previously mentioned was used by the Ancient Greeks. The early Christains are also believed to have possibly used it. And on the topic of the rather unusual method of dating Easter, first sunday after the first full moon after the equinox as far as I remember, in the defense of the Christains, the Jews used a Lunar calender.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well personally a lunar caldenar makes a lot more sense.
    13 lunar months , 28 sayds in each.
    That way pregnacy is 10 lunar mnth, that is 280 days and not 9 and 1/2 ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ancathach

On the point of the dating of the birth of the Christios on the 25th, it is the festival of Mithras and from this it has its attribution.Mithras is himself quite a Jesus figure.

Originally the birth of Jesus of Nazereth wasnt attributed to a day, but the attribution was given as some early Gnostics focusing primarily on the spiritual nature of the Christ and treating him totally as a spiritual force as opposed to a spiritual force incarnate in physicality.

The incarnation of the Christ impulse in the physical body of Jesus was another early Christian teaching. If we look at the early Jesus we see the potential of destiny, but we also see this huge gap during which he went off to find himself- the turing point, and the manifestation of the Christ impulse occoured at the time of the baptism by John. After this we see the manifesting Christ force.

But what is Christ. The term Christ comes from the Greek Christios, meaning "anointed"- the baptism of the physical body of Jesus was an initiation and caused the spiritual manifestation of the Christ impulse, the spiritual side attributed to him, within the incarnate body of Jesus.

Jesus never claimed to be the son of God, only the son of man, the initiated incarnate, ie manifesting the divinity.

On the point of the pentagram, is is a Jewish symbol. It is the symbol of Solomon, of the knowledge of the four elements and the fifth pointed upwards denoting the asentitive philosophy. ie natural knowledge towards assention. Microcosm.

The six pointed star, the shield of David (commonly known as star of...) is a combination of polar opposites, fire and water, male and female, the symbol of the transendental deity which includes and encapsulates both poles. Macrocosm.

When I said the inverted pentagram is associated with dense magics, that is to say those that work primarily in malkuth I was saying the downpointed top represents spirit so it represents spirit manifest in the physical (malkuth).

As such the inverted pentagram is a very apt symbol for the Christios as a manifestation of spirit in malkuth.

It was mentioned as the symbol of the second degree in Wicca, quite true and we see this theme reiterated here in the Legend Of The Descent. Here the lord of dread is ruling the very earthly occurance of death, the Goddess descends into his realms, manifests through her love for the dread lord spirit in the physical and creates a new mystery, of the manifestation of spirit, reincarnation, in the physical earth.

Further paralells can be drawn using the tetragramaton and pentagramaton.

On the point of the pentagram as a Christian symbol it was once used to represent the five mortal wounds of Christ.

OK, id better stop now, but will gladly elabourate on anything if asked and if I can.

LVX

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭kieranwaldron

One of the main teachings of the Catholic Church, that man has an immortal soul, is based on pagan beliefs. The CC then built the doctrines of heaven, hell and purgatory on this false premise. There is nothing in the whole of the Bible to substantiate the belief that the soul lives on after death; the Bible indicates that man goes nowhere when he dies except to the grave.

Advertisement