Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ross O' Carroll Kelly

• 15-03-2004 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Just want to see if there's any other fans out there!

Issue 1 goys: Favorite moments from Ross's life

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Having read the episode in yesterdays Tribune, I think he's losing his edge. Him and the Simpsons- they're just getting tired and predictable, trotting out the same old muck dresssed up in different scenarios. It's not being kept fresh and it no longer amuses me the way it once did.

'twas funny when it lasted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

shutup-ross is like totally focking brilliant roysch. every moment is absolute class.high 5s all around goys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by rymus
    Who?

you read my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Ross O' Carroll Kelly
    R O C K
    > Blackrock ----> Blackrock College ----> well to do south dublin rugby school.

its just this comedy newspaper column about this d4 jock stereotype character Ross O' Carroll Kelly. its just about he xdrinks heino and oes to anables to chase 'berds' and takes the 'darsh'.

• Advertisement

he drinks 'ken',chases 'birds' and gets the 'dorsch' ...roysch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He's loike totally Kool and the gang roysh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

He's got two books out too...exactly the same style. mildly humerous.

4 books out actually-1 of them is an adapted version of another tho.they are pretty hilarious.

Only 2 in print at the moment though.
    Teenage Dirtbag Years and Orange Mocha Chip Frapuccino Years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Originally posted by lacuna
    He's got two books out too...exactly the same style. mildly humerous.

Tell me your focking joking?
    Mildly humerous?

Ross is a focking legend roysh. Maybe your skobie mind may not comprehend but for those of us who understand the term 'affluence' Ross remains a focking god amoungst men.
    Birds want him and goys want to be him.
    Well i'm off to UCD bor to meet the goys for a few scoops but check the bage page of the Tribune for all you ill-educated folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

R O C K
    > Blackrock ----> Blackrock College ----> well to do south dublin rugby school.

all signs point to blackrock, but i think he actually went to a ficticious school called castlerock in his stories

i agree with dod, after reading the last installment on sunday he is losing the edge a little bit, come on paul pick it up; although ross has done an awful lot of things, he can only go so far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

As a non south-side (in fact non-Dublin) rugby player, I found it utterly cringeworthy - to the point where I had to stop half-way through the book and leave it for a couple of weeks before being able to pick it up and read more.

To think that people associate my beautiful sport with these fucking eejits?! I'm disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

total legend is ross.

the time when he woks for Hook, Lyon & Sinker estate agents is class

:D:D:D

as is the time when hes addicted to creatine and the whole senior cup saga in the first book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Originally posted by Trojan
    As a non south-side (in fact non-Dublin) rugby player, I found it utterly cringeworthy - to the point where I had to stop half-way through the book and leave it for a couple of weeks before being able to pick it up and read more.

To think that people associate my beautiful sport with these fucking eejits?! I'm disgusted.

What happened was that Paul Howard followed a schools rugby team that shall remain nameless around on a tour to write a series of factual features based on the on- and off- pitch antics of this well known team.

When his editor saw the material, he refused to publish it on the grounds that it left them open to lawsuits alleging defamation, libel etc., and the well-heeled parents of the players were considered more likely than not to sue the newspaper.

In response, Howard created this fictional schools team and composite character based on what he had observed and hammed it up.

Cringeworthy, yes. Entirely fictional? Perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I always thought it was Neil Francis; since he is a rock boy and it started in the "turbine" when he had hng up his boots and had started writing for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

started reading the teenage dirtbag years and didn't like it much at all.
    i know it's suposed to be taken with a pinch of salt but it was just too pretensious for my likings.
    my brother read the whole thing and still didn't know what roysh meant!!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

that column must be going for 4 or 5 years now. was v funny at first when he was playing on the senior team, but is soo played at this point. knew guys like ross when i was in school, the character is not entirely fictional.
    unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Originally posted by ferdi

its just this comedy newspaper column about this d4 jock stereotype character Ross O' Carroll Kelly. its just about he xdrinks heino and oes to anables to chase 'berds' and takes the 'darsh'.

Isn't he meant to be from Foxrock?

KR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by dod

In response, Howard created this fictional schools team and composite character based on what he had observed and hammed it up.

Cringeworthy, yes. Entirely fictional? Perhaps...

dod, what disgusts me is just that: it's not a million miles from the truth - there are similiar characters out there in D6 playing for XYZ rugby school and driving daddys beamer.

That they are associated with the sport I play saddens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

You can't take it too seriously, though, and I would say that there is a sense of balance, too - while we are laughing at the main character, he is laughing at other stereotypes - in what other forum would you get away with describing Tallaght as 'Knackeragua', etc. I still enjoy reading i each Sunday, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Originally posted by klong
    total legend is ross.

the time when he woks for Hook, Lyon & Sinker estate agents is class

:D:D:D

Apparently they had to have Ross fired from his job there cos the estate agents were all complaining to the paper about it. They didn't like the way that they were being portrayed in it!!! Ah only in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I know a guy that swears by the books, calling them his bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hes good.

Why is it that hes staying in a hotel at the mo and owes them 8 grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 carl carlson

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    I know a guy that swears by the books, calling them his bible.
    Dam focking roysh there his bible . "the teenage dirbag years " is the old testement and "the orange mocha-chip cappucino years " is the new testement . I swear by man. He is my god . All hail Ross O' Caroll Kelly. The biggest legend to hit the south side of dublin

you the man ross,you the man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Gerry

Does anyone know where "The Miseducation of Ross O' Carroll Kelly" can be bought? I can't find it anywhere.

It's out of print.
    When I last asked in the bookshop (can't remember which bookshop) they said it would be out again sometime early this year. So I suppose some time this year. The Teenage Dirtbag Years was out of print too but was re-released a while ago.
    You might be able to get the miseducation in a library.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 G-RÓID

ross o carroll kelly-living legend need i say more!

cant stop the rock!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement