Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calm or headspace

• 24-08-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Looking at using the VHI money back for one of these apps but can't decide which one. Not really a mindfulness / meditation person but looking so see if it will help me destress, sleep better etc. Has anyone on here used them. Which would you recommend any why? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

While I have never used either of those apps, I do know that they are very popular. Even more popular, and with a much bigger selection of free meditations is "Insight Timer" which is the one I use. It is possible to pay for premier membership on IT, but I dont find it necessary given the huge selection of free meditations, unless you wish to do courses.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spotlightsix.zentimerlite2&hl=en_IE

https://insighttimer.com

https://www.integrativenutrition.com/blog/2018/04/meditation-app-review-insight-timer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have the Calm app, I've just renewed my prescription for another year. I find it really good, and use it mostly for the sleep stories. You can have it running on your phone and it just stops when the story is over. I've never heard a story all the way through, it works so well for me. You can download the app for free, there's enough content to give you in idea whether you like it before subscribing.

I can't comment on the other app because I've never heard of it before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Not really a mindfulness / meditation person but looking so see if it will help me destress, sleep better etc.

As you are considering giving mindfulness a try, as well as an app, you might consider reading up on mindfulness. An app does not give you an understanding of what mindfulness is all about. Having a basic understanding will help you get the most benefit from your meditations. If you do decide to do some reading, I would recommend "The Miracle of Mindfulness" or "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Mindfulness-Manual-Meditation/dp/0807012394

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I have the Calm app, I've just renewed my prescription for another year. I find it really good, and use it mostly for the sleep stories. You can have it running on your phone and it just stops when the story is over. I've never heard a story all the way through, it works so well for me. You can download the app for free, there's enough content to give you in idea whether you like it before subscribing.

I can't comment on the other app because I've never heard of it before now.

I signed up to Calm for the sleep stories, rarely get to the end of the story before nodding off! The guided meditations are pretty good too, definitely worth the subscription fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

Rigsby wrote: »
    As you are considering giving mindfulness a try, as well as an app, you might consider reading up on mindfulness. An app does not give you an understanding of what mindfulness is all about. Having a basic understanding will help you get the most benefit from your meditations. If you do decide to do some reading, I would recommend "The Miracle of Mindfulness" or "Peace Is Every Step" by Thich Nhat Hahn.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Mindfulness-Manual-Meditation/dp/0807012394

Headspace explains what mindfulness is, teaches a lot about it and has any amount of resources linked with the app

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I’ve just signed up to the free trial of Calm. Anything in particular I should look at within the app?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I mostly use it for sleep stories, though I have used some meditations too. I've recently discovered that the VHI will reimburse you for part of your subscription to the Calm or Headspace app now! It applies to any bought since May, you just take a photo of the email receipt and upload it to the VHI website. I've sent mine in :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was coming here to ask teh very same question for the same reason :D Would I be right in thinking that Calm os more for aiding sleep and Headpsace is for stress/anxiety?

I have no experience of Headspace, but going by the name you might be right miamee. There are lots of collections of meditations on Calm too, I just mostly use the sleep stories.

Advertisement