Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valheim (EA )

1235»

Comments

Is it available for other platforms apart from the PC? I'm using Nivida Geforce Now to play. Says there's partial controller support, but having no issues using an Xbox controller so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Is it available for other platforms apart from the PC? I'm using Nivida Geforce Now to play. Says there's partial controller support, but having no issues using an Xbox controller so far.

No just pc. Pretty normal for pc games to have controller support even if they're pc only

Anyone else play this non stop for around 2 weeks then drop it entirely?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yep while the building is fantastic ive just no interest in building longterm so theres nothing left to do once you kill all the boses.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Will put it to the side once I've cleared all the biomes. Just finishing up the Dark Forest after 30 hours solo play, so I've a good ways to go yet.

Then I'll be back after a few updates to either continue the existing save or start fresh.

• Advertisement

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Will put it to the side once I've cleared all the biomes. Just finishing up the Dark Forest after 30 hours solo play, so I've a good ways to go yet.

Then I'll be back after a few updates to either continue the existing save or start fresh.

Reading this from the publisher https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1370370423687364609?s=19

Will be starting a new world with same character when the new biome drops.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's a joke. No way am I starting again.

I guess that's what you get with early access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Its not that unusual for procedural games to do that.

The saving grace here might be you can bring your character to a new world with whatever they can hold iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Exactly. It's the same as Terraria. You can easily transfer your inventory over to another world, so it's not as if you can't teleport ores, etc. You just log off, log into the new world and deposit.If anything, it's a circumvention of the no teleporting rule if you run two worlds.

Doesn't really inconvenience you a whole lot at all, just means you get to build another central base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The fun is in the journey not the destination. I don't mind at all starting over from nothing, especially if with friends and some who might be new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Know no-one playing. It's getting hard out there for a lonely Viking. Anyone interested in teaming up? Maybe a server?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

Got a decent 57 hours out of this, but there's not all that much content and I can't say I've enjoyed the swamps, the plains or the mountains at all. I found solo play boring enough, so I only played with a couple of friends.

They could have at least added some building pieces by now, but the latest patch only introduces yet another change to the terrain editing. I know it's only a small development team, but post-launch support hasn't been too amazing so far.

At least it wasn't expensive and was a lot of fun at first - but early access is early access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I have also played close to 60 hours so far but personally still loving it; playing one or two sessions a week with my brothers and we've just reached silver mining in mountains. We've intentionally been taking it slow enough to get the most out of it.

The first big content update is focused on building and they've been working on it parallel to the fix patches. I believe the terrain thing was high on their priority list because the original terrain system was adding more network instances(?) and it was one of the most widely reported issues that was causing massive loading and/or FPS issues.

I think you have to manage your expectations and bear with them given the size of the team. It's a game that's been worked on for 5 years and it's been in early access for two months. Though I'm sure they have recently hired more staff or are at least in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Early Access and a small developer,there was never going to be 100s of hours of content right away.

For a survival early access game I feel its rather polished in what it sets out to do,and does it well.

I feel in the long run people will get value from the game with mods. There's a few already and givin how popular the game has become I can only see a bright future for mods.

For an early access game I feel it has a very solid base and also it's still quite cheap.

I hope they integrate a lot of the mods into the base game. I can't install any of them because of my system. Being able to use items straight out of storage, auto stacking, first person mod etc.

Little bit worried about their content update process as well. It seems they want to cook up big updates while just teasing it out to everyone via the steam community page. This is god awful. They should switch to a more gradual release. Like here's a few new roofing recipes and building parts. Small updates each week like that are great for testing and can keep players interested too. They've been doing a few system updates like this which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah I've suffered early accessitis.

It's a great game and I got my monies worth many times over in the 100+ hours I quickly put into it but there are definite issues.

3 players made the game progress very very fast, none of the bosses were in any way difficult. We were on Bonemass when they supposedly increased the difficulty and it was a 2 minute affair.

On the other hand I'd imagine trying to play this game solo would be an absolute slog (hello iron) so you sort of have to either cheat or play online but again almost zero protections for your stuff/world if you invite people in or go on other player servers so if you don't have friends who play you'll likely have a poor time.

The world is huge but just repetitively so and building lacks some crucial pieces that could easily have been released already. The community was clamouring for one of those upside down triangle yokes literally from day 1. The devs could easily have whacked that out by now.

But either way I'll likely never revisit the game which is sad as I imagine fully fleshed out it would have been quite something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My problem with this is that none of the friends who I played with work a 9-5 like me and so when I logged in, I'd find they'd have spent the entire day (or night as was usually the case) building a giant castle or hunting a big boss and so there's nothing to play for since they're all off doing all the cool stuff.

Playing solo as Canis says is a slog. I think a nice compromise would be to let solo artists bring metals through teleporters.

I played the whole thing solo. It is indeed a slog but an adventure in its own right. Definitely wanna coop it for the new biomes. Streaming it help keep me going. Don't think I could play it quietly without chatting about various things.

Either way looking forward to the update and hosting a proper server for friends.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shiminay wrote: »
    My problem with this is that none of the friends who I played with work a 9-5 like me and so when I logged in, I'd find they'd have spent the entire day (or night as was usually the case) building a giant castle or hunting a big boss and so there's nothing to play for since they're all off doing all the cool stuff.

Playing solo as Canis says is a slog. I think a nice compromise would be to let solo artists bring metals through teleporters.

I played with friends and on my own. Playing with others definitely makes mining a lot less monotonous. It's still a bit crap but you have people to chat with and have craic with. On your own it just bored me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I played with friends and on my own. Playing with others definitely makes mining a lot less monotonous. It's still a bit crap but you have people to chat with and have craic with. On your own it just bored me to tears.

Yea I played with 5 others and it's definitely a game meant for multiplayer teams.

Like Shiminay said above, there'd be times when others were on and progressing mining or whatever, but we would normally agree a time at night to meet up online and go kill the next boss, or raid the swamp or whatever.

These are guys I know 20 years and we have daily group chats outside of games as well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Have almost 300 hours in solo. I'm only in the mountains now and full iron gear maxed out makes it a lot easier (that's mostly a bad thing).

There should be a matchmaking system to group interested players. A reliance on already knowing who you'll be playing with just isn't feasible. An mmorpg-like persistent world with base protecting wards, etc. would be fantastic, I think. As an addition to the standard game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hearth and Home out today, might start a new game I say to an empty forum :D

Still here! Haven't played in a few months, have a nice base and farm just haven't been bothered to finish off the plains biome as it's a bit repetitive at this stage.

May give it another go when the Irish weather gets worse.

Advertisement