Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accident dog!

• 25-02-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

So basically I ran over family member dog big vet bill in 2000 euros plus (if he give go ahead for ct scan surgery ect)
    so can he put in claim against me and do insurance company pay out on claim like this ? (more than happy if insurance pay for dog vet bill as otherwise dog might be put down if don't recover from leg damage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The dog is essentially property and you have damaged it. As such the owner is entitled to claim against you. Given that you can't claim against yourself for your own negligence, make sure the dog does not 'belong' to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The dog is essentially property and you have damaged it. As such the owner is entitled to claim against you. Given that you can't claim against yourself for your own negligence, make sure the dog does not 'belong' to you.
    Surely that depends on the circumstances and location of the incident.

For instance, if you collide with a loose dog on a road, you are obliged to report the incident to AGS. This is mainly so that the owner of the dog can be traced and potentially prosecuted for allowing their dog loose! In this event (dog loose) the dog owner is liable for damage to the vehicle, not the other way round!

If the OP's incident happened in a public place, their insurer may well deny any liability.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I agree with the above. My presumption was on the basis the OP was admitting negligent driving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

What if the dog as loose on the dog owners private property?
    or
    if loose on the OPs property? without permission, or not with specific consent but not declined?

I had always thought to some extent that the driver of a vehicle would be more responsible for a collision with an animal, but I was told by someone more in the know about dealing with these situations (they were not in the legal profession), that they as a driver could claim or sue for damages to their property if the animal was loose in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes, the law is probably used more against owners of livestock etc. I know it does not apply to cats for some reason - probably because they cannot be kept under control when allowed outdoors.

@OP Is there any way you could foot the bill yourself? It might well come to that if/when your insurer says no. I know you may feel responsible even if technically you may not be. Was the dog loose in a public place?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whocare wrote: »
    So basically I ran over family member dog big vet bill in 2000 euros plus (if he give go ahead for ct scan surgery ect)
    so can he put in claim against me and do insurance company pay out on claim like this ? (more than happy if insurance pay for dog vet bill as otherwise dog might be put down if don't recover from leg damage

Where did the incident happen? Because an animals owner is supposed to keep it under control so if in most cases you won't be responsible for the animals bills if you hit it and if your car was damaged the animals owner would be liable for your bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Whocare

It was on dog owner yard and basically I was completely at fault turning around dog in front of car though he was going to move he didn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Whocare

Update on this dog is lot better so probably be ok walking around and all so should be ok with a bit rest

Advertisement