Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you ask somebody ''How were they feeling/How was their mental health''?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭

I think I often heard it in campaigns.
    I have never really done it. People have sort of opened up to me when they were drunk before but it was sort of discussed briefly and the next day they clearly didn't want to talk about it again.
    If I did think there was an issue I believe I'd try.

Would you ask somebody ''How were they feeling/How was their mental health''?
    If you did how did it go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Everyone in Ireland is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I think it's an amazing thing to ask someone/a friend.

I have struggled with a lot of things over the years and if I had a friend who asked me that, I would be very grateful.
    You're only going to really ask someone that that you feel is in need/have a gut feeling about it. If they aren't great place they will really be grateful. If they are fine, they probably won't care that you asked them.

More people should have your attitude. Everyone puts up all those 'Are you OK' things on FB on whatever day of the year 'Are you Ok' day falls (!?!), but they rarely actually ask anyone the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I have asked close friends and tbh we speak about it on an almost daily basis now. I opened up about my struggles and now my friends are more open. Such an important conversation to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have done so when I knew the person was having, or had had, some difficulties. It's no way awkward and always seems to allow the person to relax and talk things through.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

It’s not about asking the question. It’s about whether you will listen to the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If I know a friend struggles with their mental health then I’ll ask from time to time, I like to think that if I ask often enough if they ever aren’t ok they know they can talk to me.

Yes. If I know any of my friends are going through a tough time I check in regularly. Even when they are are well I still ask. A simple "how are you really" or "is everything ok"? can make all the difference.

A few weeks ago someone asked me how I was. It was most unexpected for reasons I wont go in to but so real and open that part of me wanted to share. Anyways it meant alot. Sometimes the person may not want or be able to tell you how they are but to be asked is enough.

I remember things like that the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I do always ask if I think someone's not right but nobody ever asks me and tbh, I wish they would now and again.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I do always ask if I think someone's not right but nobody ever asks me and tbh, I wish they would now and again.

Sorry to hear that. That made me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I do, a lot. Because I genuinely care. I'm very sensitive to changes in people and Is say I'm pretty good at noticing when something is "off".
    I want to be there and listen to my friends and family because we all go through rough patches and when I was facing one years ago after the suicide of a close friend nobody was there for me. I don't wish this on anyone so I try being the person I so desperately needed back then.

First and foremost I'm there for my husband, I care so much about his mental wellbeing and when he needs me to be there I am. And if it costs a night of sleep because we talk, happiness and support is a lot more important than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Me neither, but I internalise things and it appears that all is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Yes because I hope someone would do it for me if the situation was reversed.

I have lost count of the number of male friends who have raised something with a few drinks on board, only to refuse to discuss it again when sober but I'd like to think they know I'm there for them if needed.

I know it's a sweeping generalisation, but I think women tend to share their feelings more & suffer from depression much less as a result. It's never a sign of weakness to talk, purely a sign of strength- we all need people to lean on from time to time & owe it to ourselves to do so when times are tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I do like being open with friends.

Nearly any issue becomes smaller once it's said out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Lesalare wrote: »
    Shaking head.

I am presuming this a piss take?

Certainly not. There were no mental health problems, before the delicate generation grew up to realise their lives wasnt all instagram-perfect, and they needed to label their discomfort at that imperfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Genuinely, are you ok? and if not, please do talk to someone. Anyone

Certainly not. There were no mental health problems, before the delicate generation grew up to realise their lives wasnt all instagram-perfect, and they needed to label their discomfort at that imperfection.

What an utter load of toss.
    Maybe someone needs to ask you are you ok?...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So suicide is a new thing then yeah?
    Nonsense.

You have a point somewhere. I do think we are living in a more self absorbed age however it's good to check in with people. There are and always will be those who suffer and those who are lonely. Be a good human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

No, because i don't care, I've enough to be thinking about without worrying about anyone else, callous maybe but that's who i am, i genuinely lack empathy towards people, i find the suffering of animals more upsetting than the suffering of other people, fcuk people is really what I'm saying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

A woman down at my gym asked me how I was one day and when I gave the usual stock response of ah fine she asked again "no how are you?" real sincere, I ended up spilling a few of the negatives going on in my life, she works in that field but I just thought it was a good way of approaching things like she'd heard the ah fine line a million times

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No. A problem shared, is a problem doubled. Not my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Ignorance of the highest order. Mental health is not something that's only surfaced recently, despite your comment about the 'delicate generation'. Absolutely disgusting attitude towards mental health, and another fine example of the 'up-themselves' generation, to use your own vernacular, who have an opinion on things they haven't the slightest clue about.

Robin Williams, born in 1951, aged 63 when he died of suicide. He a part of this 'delicate generation' of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I heard an answer from a friend recently to my question "howya doing"

Ah ok, could be better, but feck that, I'll be grand. And he carried on the convo about kids, schools, work and so on in a superficial way but looked strained.

I really did not know how to react.

What do we do? Intervening is great if there is a crisis, but if people think they are fine, well that's it isn't it? Privacy and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Hobosan wrote: »
    Everyone in Ireland is grand.

Yep. I'm always grand, even when I'm not.

I would ask close friends how they're doing but it's only with a good few pints that we'd ever have a proper chat, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Personally, my own mental health needs attention, constantly, so while I would like to be that person who asks, I've enough of my own stuff to deal with that I couldn't give an honest and unbiased opinion, and would probably cause more damage than good. Similarly, I don't expect anyone to ask me. Depends on the person I suppose. Myself and the best mate usually discuss it somewhat every now and again.

Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose I'm now too selfish to care. I used to be the go to guy for help and assistance, but I realised (way too late) that I was being taken advantage of. Thinking back, I was blind to the abuse my good nature was getting, so I've nearly done a complete 180 and keep to myself these days. I'll still help if people ask, but very few do anymore thankfully.

It's a hard situation to be in. I don't like it being brought up, simply for the above reasons and nothing else. There are plenty out there who would have better advice than I can, and my current advice is 'smoke a joint', seems to help with most my issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

After a life time of struggling with mental health issues, I still struggle to talk about it, and to enquire about others well being, it's a strange world, but thankfully it's changing. heard a scary story yesterday about mental health issues, a lot of respect to the chap involved, gives regular public talks on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Every single day! Not the same person obviously but affording that space to open up is one of the greatest gifts that you can give someone who is struggling or feeling disconnected. And yes, as a poster above said, simply asking the question is not enough (but is a great start!), really listening and responding is so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Lesalare wrote: »
    Everyone puts up all those 'Are you OK' things on FB on whatever day of the year 'Are you Ok' day falls (!?!), but they rarely actually ask anyone the question.

This. I swear my sister has actively stopped about 5 different people from jumping into rivers at night over the last few years but if I reach out to her she completely blanks me- I stopped bothering. In whatever circles she's moving in it must earn her some kind of brownie points to say she's done it but it's disingenuous, unhelpful and honestly I think anyone who believes her could only really tend toward disingenuity themselves.

I've dealt on and off with issues for almost 20 years now myself. When I'm well, I'm really well, but it's impossible to forget how low I can be- I would hate for anyone else to be there so I try to read the signs and do what I can to help. Even when I'm unwell, just last week in fact, I feel it's important to not hide your own struggle. It's so difficult to actually put it in words when you're right in the middle of it, but trying to can if nothing else show people that it's not uncommon and they are not alone. I spent years trying to give the whole world the impression that I was flying when in fact it probably came across as sociopathic. I won't be doing that again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I heard an answer from a friend recently to my question "howya doing"

Ah ok, could be better, but feck that, I'll be grand. And he carried on the convo about kids, schools, work and so on in a superficial way but looked strained.

I really did not know how to react.

What do we do? Intervening is great if there is a crisis, but if people think they are fine, well that's it isn't it? Privacy and all that.

I find "are you ok?" and when they say they are I'd ask '"would you tell me if you weren't?" make people think about it they don't even think about it when they say 'yah I'm grand' - it's just a stock response. My stock response when I'm not but know I will be is "I'll be ok" thats supposed to mean I'm not ok right now, but I'm handling it.

Advertisement