Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

• 01-01-2019 9:45pm

allelitewrestling.jpg
    Source - Wrestling Observer
    After weeks of speculation, All Elite Wrestling is now official.

AEW was officially announced at the end of a Being the Elite episode that was uploaded at midnight Pacific time on January 1, 2019. In addition to the promotion, the episode also announced "Double or Nothing" -- the sequel to All In.

The Young Bucks, Cody Rhodes, and Hangman Page were included in the reveal of AEW and Double or Nothing. SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky) were also part of the episode.

There will be a Double or Nothing rally at TIAA Bank Field (the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars) in Jacksonville, Florida at 5 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, January 8, with more information about Double or Nothing and AEW being revealed then. The advertisement notes that the rally will include a "special announcement from The Elite." The Young Bucks, Cody & Brandi Rhodes, Hangman Page, Daniels, Kazarian, and Sky are featured on the ad, and it says that there will be more special guests.

The rally will be free to attend and will be taking place at the parking lot in front of West Club at TIAA Bank Field. Live stream information for it will be announced soon.

AEW has been rumored since October, with trademarks for the promotion being filed in November.

As the announcement was made, Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez discussed the details of AEW on Wrestling Observer Radio. Here are some notes from the episode:

- There are guys signed to the promotion, including Cody. The Young Bucks aren't officially signed yet but could be within 24-48 hours.

- There's no television deal for AEW yet, but there are "multiple offers out there." Meltzer said he's confident enough to say that he thinks it will happen.

- People are being signed to multi-year contracts.

- Tony Khan (of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham FC) is the head of the company. He's a longtime professional wrestling fan and the son of billionaire Shahid Khan.

- What happens with AEW and New Japan Pro Wrestling is "100 percent up in the air." Everyone in All Elite would like to have a relationship with NJPW and would like to continue working with them. Whether or not NJPW will do it is up in the air.

- The success of All In wasn't lost on certain people in the TV industry. Those who watched it were very impressed.

- Meltzer doesn't think ROH talent will be working for AEW -- they'll be competing for the same wrestlers. Meltzer called this the greatest thing for talent since the WWF/WCW war, with WWE, AEW, and ROH now all competing for talent. They all wanted Bandido, and ROH got him.

Really interested to see how they do. I think a good TV deal will be essential and obviously filling the roster with good talent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

ALL In proved that there really is something there.

There is no doubting that my greatest days of wrestling were at the peak of the MNWs. With the backing of a millionaire there is a bang of WCW of it.

Don't like Cody but I think he could be very much his fathers son in terms of booking/running a fed.

All that said, can see WWE not letting this become a major powerhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,265 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First in with the sign Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Would love for this to take off big time , Vince will be sour faced having supposedly offered them all deals

Don't want to hark on the WCW comparisons but you'd wonder if they were to "make Cena the third man" how close would it make them to WWE.

When you compare the feds, who is second and how far behind the top dog are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Don't want to hark on the WCW comparisons but you'd wonder if they were to "make Cena the third man" how close would it make them to WWE.

Jericho more likely I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

brianblaze wrote:
    Jericho more likely I'd imagine

Or Punk maybe...

Any non preforming big names that might be a 3rd man are more than likely tied to WWE Legends contracts.

I really hope they don't get JR for commentary. He was awful with NJPW.

I could definitely see Punk being signed.

Also if they can't get a working relationship with NJPW would that mean no Kenny Omega or would he leave to join I wonder.

A utterly motivated Punk out to sock it to Vince & Co could be absolute lightning if it happens.

Would love to see them be attractive enough and powerful enough to poach some talent already at the WWE that are miles from being has beens. The borderline boys like Balor and his ilk. Maybe get the likes of Cesaro and give him a bit of a fresh start Ala Christian Cage in TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would they not of bought TNA or whatever it's called now and made that the promotion ??

So we have WWE vs TNA vs ROH vs AEW now

Reckon they will sign a lot of ex WWE guys who will get released etc

Will we see the return of the wars in 2019 ??. Different era, different formats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The only wars would be between ROH, Impact and AEW. And that's unlikely as I'd say they may want to try and work together occasionally.

I'm trying to think when the last big batch of releases was. Seems if WWE are taking all the indy guys, they're less likely to release ones who aren't asking for release.

If AEW runners can manage their egos and don't make themselves the title holders it may be OK. They need to look more at the pre Hogan TNA and avoid the trap of bringing in loads of names. Daniels and Kasabian have that experience from their time there.

As for them buying Impact, that is a damaged brand at this point

There will be a Double or Nothing rally at TIAA Bank Field (the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars) in Jacksonville, Florida at 5 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, January 8,

Smackdown is on in the same City that night.

AEW Tank?

I wonder what they plan for Wrestlemania weekend. I'm sure the MSG event was planned with all these guys involved

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

I'd agree that AEW is more likely to be competing against the likes of Impact Wrestling and ROH (And Lucha Underground), and will do well to just survive.

I don't see any problem with them using ex WWE wrestlers, they have to draw eyes to their product, and that's one of the ways to do it. Even before Hogan arrived in TNA it was full of ex WWE/WCW/ECW wrestlers (Christian, Angle, Raven, Sting, Steiner, Scot Hall, Kevin Nash, etc, etc). Even Christopher Daniels previously had contracts with both WWE and WCW (even if they were developmental/short term).

Personally I reckon both Jake Strong (Jack Swagger) and Johnny Morrison/Mundo/Impact both could bring value to it.

OF course, AEW could end up being just another Global Force Wrestling.

Cody Rhodes has confirmed that himself and the Young Bucks will be executive vice presidents of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Cody Rhodes has confirmed that himself and the Young Bucks will be executive vice presidents of the company.

If (and it's a big if), they can remain impartial, and not insert themselves into the main storylines constantly, this could be good. The Bucks are Merch magicians, and Cody has a serious lineage and mind for the business.

I think for this to work, they have to stick to the All in Formula. Stay away from the gimmicks (f*ck the 6 sided ring), and all that crap. There is a genuine thirst for good pro wrestling without the tripe WWE is putting out. Hell, if they can just get the camera work correct, it'd be a huge start - i hate the epilepsy cam that WWE have adopted.

Remember when Raw was re-launched a few years back, and they experimented with new camera angles etc, left the shaky zoomy cam out? That was great.

I'd like to see them have a working relationship with the likes of Impact, ROH, NWA & NJPW.

I wonder will Arrow sign up.

I wonder will Arrow sign up.

I wonder could Amell help out with getting them a TV deal? Is the TV network Arrow on a big one?

I wonder could Amell help out with getting them a TV deal? Is the TV network Arrow on a big one?

The CW was once the original home of Smackdown when it was called UPN.

It's the 10th most watched Network in America.

It markets its shows to the young adult market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Everything seems very silent on whether omega is joining up. I wonder if that's them trying not to ruin the main event of wrestlekingdom or he's still signed to new Japan for another year or it's them trying to work out a working agreement with them

• Advertisement

Just thinking who are the biggest names they could potentially sign?

Punk - I'm not a huge fan myself but it would be a big signing for them if they could pull it off.

Omega - Either by getting a working relationship with NJPW or getting him to leave NJ and sign as he's mates with the bucks etc.

Jericho - Rumours that he will sign.

Styles - Supposedly his contract is up in a few months and he wants a lighter schedule. A long shot.

I saw Goldberg's name mentioned on one of the news sites :P

I'd love to see a list of who from the WWE will have contracts expiring in the next few months!

Neville/PAC?

I know what will draw for them..

The reunification of Enzo and Big Cass.

These guys are Money!
    My name is Enzo Amore, and I am a certified G, and a bona fide stud. And you can't teach that!

And this right here, this is Big Cass, and he's 7 foot tall, and you can't teach that!

Bada boom! Realest guys in the room! How ya doin!

How you Doing?

giphy.gif

Only if they compete against Cryme Tyme.
    Money, money. Yeah, yeah

I just really hope they don't go down the tna route and mention wwe all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I can see them having a working relationship with NJPW, what with the majority of The ELITE in action @ Wrestle Kingdom 13 tomorrow morning, Cody, Kenny with their respective Championships being defended, & The Young Bucks competing in a 3 way for the IWGP Tag Team Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Pentecost

sky88 wrote: »
    I just really hope they don't go down the tna route and mention wwe all the time

What are Endo Morone and Cazz doing in the Elite arena?!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I can see them having a working relationship with NJPW, what with the majority of The ELITE in action @ Wrestle Kingdom 13 tomorrow morning, Cody, Kenny with their respective Championships being defended, & The Young Bucks competing in a 3 way for the IWGP Tag Team Championships.

I guess that all depends on there relationship with Roh and when that ends or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This seems a promising thing and as it's a fresh start they have they will have the advantage if they can use it of start right and start as they mean to go on. I say that because there have been enough wrestling companies down the years and within recent times that have made stupid avoidable mistakes. It will also hinge on getting a good TV deal which has been important since wrestling was first on tv in the 1950's. I'd love for them to be members of the NWA which has had a bit of a resurrection which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A $100 million investment is a lot of money and could attract sum big boys

A lot of guys in wwe will be keeping on eye on this organisation and might decide it's for them

Styles wwe contract is up in April and he might go too AEW for the limit schedule ??. I'd miss him in wwe

Advertisement