Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Qrt wrote: »
    I really don't think he can be described as "leftist" in any way, shape or form.

This I can agree on. Fine Gael don't seem to do...much at all? Donohue must be one of the most reclusive finance ministers we've ever had.

What i mean is Leo is constantly virtue signaling to the leftist political ideology in his actions. This virtue signaling can now be seen in all actions the government takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we have a politics forum for this crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Politics is >>>>> That away!

This is about infrastructure. The only politics allowed is Nymbyism and Parishpumpism - as practised by many politicos.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That's just nonsense.

And you think that everything happens in the Park in some sort of bubble whereby the locals don't enjoy it?

Nice little earner for the State rather than the city? What is thatmeant to mean at all? And why would you think DCC would do a better job at "managing" the Park?

When paid events close off the park no one except the patrons can use it. Other events also cause sections of the park and its roads to be put out of use for anyone except the participants. That's less irritating to me than the paid events though.
    The earner comment was a sly dig I suppose, but assume OPW must charge a hefty fee when the park is used private events like pop concerts.
    Surely they don't just give it to the promoters/event managers for nothing?

The park is a big chunk of land and roads almost in the centre of Dublin.
    The OPW are yet another state body sharing part of responsibility for poor transport for in Dublin. Whetever about effectiveness of DCC, reducing number of quangos etc involved in transport in Dublin would be a good thing IMO.
    Why so against teh "closures" at the weekend? Does it interfere with your race through it?

Ha, I don't race. Given your irritation here, you're probably the kind of driver who is crawling up my exhaust pipe because I'm not breaking the speed limit by at least 10 km/hr. It has caused me trouble as the closures of the roads are random & I forget to keep an eye on what events are on. Section of road I've needed to use is usually not closed though, unless its some very large event.
    Running passenger service buses (tours already use it) through the park is a no go and tbh very stupid. For starters as soon as you get out of the park (NS) you hit Castleknock and then what? Have huge queues of buses waiting to get through teh one-way gate at the top of Cherstefield Avenue.

Would have thought it would be good for express type services from Blanchardstown and beyond that are not stopping till they get close to city centre. Especially if cars were banned from the main avenue
    It is not beyond abilities to change gate layout to take 2 lanes.

They would be better served fixing up the Blackhorse Avenue priority and the road itself which is a disgrace and allowing the 37 travel the full length of it to Aughrim St rather than that mental diversion via the Navan Road and then Skreen Road. That should come first before the amount of work that would have to be done to allow buses to use the Phoenix Park as a commuter channel.

Maybe my memory of this route is incorrect, but fixing that properly not need use of part of the Phoenix Park for new bus lanes on that route (as opposed to CPOing hundreds of houses and some blocks of flats)? Doubt the OPW would like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Jarrett Walker on Twitter:

Just arrived in #Dublin. Big announcement Monday about a new bus network for Ireland's capital!

https://twitter.com/humantransit/status/1013019485509472256?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just read a very interesting update from dublinbuses.com about the hybrid bus trial with Dublin Bus.

Updated 26 June...Nine hybrid buses are expected to be trialled by Dublin Bus during 2018 and 2019. They will be supplied by three manufacturers and used on one specific route. A full order of a quantity of hybrid buses is expected approximately a year later.

http://dublinbuses.com/

I hope that we will hear more details from Jarret Walker tomorrow about these new buses. It is possible with this figure of new hybrid buses that it is not going to be continue from Wrights if two more manufacturers are involved. There could be a possibility here that other manufacturers could overtake Wrights as being the main winner of this new hybrid trial once the tests are finished sometime next year. This is really big news to take in from Dublin Bus & the NTA, If the other manufacturers overtake Wrights with a significant new order of hybrid buses; this will suggests to us that the relationship Wrights & Dublin Bus will be changing to more of a possible maintenance role for their remaining vehicles with Dublin Bus. This relationship with Wrights & Dublin Bus has currently in place for 10 years. We hear a lot from posters on boards that the SGs are not very favourable with lots of Dublin Bus drivers. The quality of the Wrights vehicles with Dublin Bus over those 10 years have been a mix of good and bad. The VGs & GTs have notably had a really positive mood among both drivers & passengers alike. The SGs have been the biggest failures for this current tenure of operating in Dublin. They are slow, clunky & their build quality have been really poor.

Wrights still has strong relationships in place for the future, through the NTA, with other operators Bus Eireann & Go-Ahead Ireland. But most of us here don't know how much longer that relationship with Wrights is going to last with Go Ahead Ireland. This is because they have yet begun their running their Irish operations yet from their new depot in Ballymount. I'm not sure of the current status of Bus Eireann's relationship with Wrights becuase I very rarely use their services. The last time that I had used their service as a passenger was in 2004 when going between Wicklow Town & Busaras.

For any bus passenger or driver going around Dublin right now while being stuck with the new SGs for a good few years. This to them sounds like great news as there were knowingly fed up with how these buses have increased the likelihood of having slow unreliable services for years because of increasing traffic issues in Dublin since the Luas Cross City is now here and because of increasing unreliability within their own fleet making some of their scheduled bus services becoming cancelled due to increased breakdowns.

If you were contemplating having nine hybrid buses for Dublin Bus. We have live up to reality here that we will have a mixed bus fleet available to us when they arrive in Dublin meaning we don't know how that is going to be made up. That could become a bit of a challenge because these buses are only going on one route. What would be your preferred route for these new vehicles if you had the choice?

I would say either the 44 & 140 as my own choices here. Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I just read a very interesting update from dublinbuses.com about the hybrid bus trial with Dublin Bus.

Updated 26 June...Nine hybrid buses are expected to be trialled by Dublin Bus during 2018 and 2019. They will be supplied by three manufacturers and used on one specific route. A full order of a quantity of hybrid buses is expected approximately a year later.

http://dublinbuses.com/

Interesting so they must be being introduced on a high frequency route which needs a lot of buses. Let's hope they don't suffer a similar fate to last hybrid buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Interesting so they must be being introduced on a high frequency route which needs a lot of buses. Let's hope they don't suffer a similar fate to last hybrid buses.

46a so

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Key Points
    Why are we redesigning the network?
    - The city is growing and we need to plan the bus network to cater for that growth.
    - The current bus network is complex which makes it hard to remember and use easily.
    - There are few orbital routes, making it hard to move around the outer parts of the city.
    - There are many overlapping routes, where the bus services are not evenly spaced.
    - There is a need to better integrate our networks of bus, trams and trains.

How will you make the network better?
    - Increase the overall amount of bus services.
    - Provide new and frequent orbital services connecting more outer parts of the city together.
    - Simplify the bus services on the key radial into “spines” where all buses will operate under a
    common letter system and buses will run very frequently and be more evenly spaced.
    - Increase the number of routes where buses will come every 15 minutes or less all day.

Will we have more or less bus services?
    The redesigned bus network means an increase in bus services by over one quarter (27%), with much of that increase delivering additional “all-day” services. So there will be substantially more bus services operating across the Dublin region following the network redesign.

What are the benefits of the proposed new network?
    Overall the proposed new network of bus services will enable more people to travel to more places more easily. Some of the specific outcomes will be:

- Nearly one million Dublin-area residents will be located within 400 metres of a bus service operating every 15 minutes or better, an increase of about 30%.
    - The number of residents located within 400 metres of public transport service operatingn every 10 minutes or better will increase by 35%.
    - The number of jobs or students located within 400 metres of public transport service operating every 10 minutes or better will increase by 19%.

Will people have to change buses more?
    Many people won’t need to change buses but some people will. In some cases, people whocurrently have a direct service may have to change buses to get to their destination. However,because these two buses will operate on routes with a much higher frequency of service, inmost cases people will be able to get to their destination in a shorter overall trip time.

What about the fares?
    We will simplify fares across bus, Luas and DART. There will be two Leap fares:

- A “90 Minute Fare” that covers all bus, DART or Luas trips started within 90 minutes.
    - This 90 Minute Fare will allow you any combination of bus, Luas and DART for your journey, subject to the last leg commencing within 90 minutes of the start of the overall trip.
    - A short distance fare paid each trip for short journeys.

Cash fares will continue to be available but will be payable for each trip.

Is this proposal fully decided?
    No, the National Transport Authority (NTA) has put these proposals forward for public consultation. There are details available on www.busconnects.ie and you can give your views online or by post. The public submissions period will start on Monday 16th July and run to Friday14th September.

Will there be information meetings for the public?
    Yes, the NTA will be arranging a series of local information sessions at various venues around the Dublin region. Those information sessions will be staffed by both NTA personnel and by Dublin Bus personnel and people will be able to get information on their particular queries.

Details of the venues and dates will be uploaded to the website www.busconnects.ie and will also be advertised in various newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

devnull wrote: »
    After a cursory browse through that doc, the first thing that jumps out at me and is a welcome surprise is just how positive the results of the initial public consultation survey are. This bodes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

I saw a tweet from an old lecturer of mine, labelling it a precursor to privatisation, and I have to agree with him (and disagree with privatisation) but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

I saw a tweet from an old lecturer of mine, labelling it a precursor to privatisation, and I have to agree with him (and disagree with privatisation) but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

That's a pretty big jump from reorganising the network to privatisation! What parts of the plan make you most worried, is it the improved frequency, changes to the ticketing or the fact that there's a plan at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

xper wrote: »
    After a cursory browse through that doc, the first thing that jumps out at me and is a welcome surprise is just how positive the results of the initial public consultation survey are. This bodes well.

While it is positive, until people actually study the detailed plans (contained in chapter 7) and how they affect them, I’d take that initial consultation with a loose pinch of salt as it was VERY high level in nature.

On first glances there is an awful lot of good stuff in the report, but it will require a lot of in-depth reading to fully assess the strengths and weaknesses.

But what I will say is that there is a need for the associated infrastructure improvements to be put in place before these changes are implemented if people using low frequency connecting routes are to have any form of certainty about making connections off the high frequency spines. Otherwise confidence will slip away very quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Privatisation/Tendering is already policy on the Dublin Bus network, with or without BusConnects. Naturally new routes that are created under this plan will be open to private firms to tender for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,913 ✭✭✭tom1ie

Just wondering what is the opinion on privatization of the bus service on this forum?
    Good, bad, and why.

Also the plan appears to rely on Parliament St being used two way by a large number of routes - something DCC is not keen on!

tom1ie wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the opinion on privatization of the bus service on this forum?
    Good, bad, and why.

Bad. Just look at England. Franchising is a mess got trains, and the free for all bus operations outside of London are a mess.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Also the plan appears to rely on Parliament St being used two way by a large number of routes - something DCC is not keen on!

I don't understand the DCC position, buses will be too polluting but taxis and private cars aren't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Bad. Just look at England. Franchising is a mess got trains, and the free for all bus operations outside of London are a mess.

That's a bit simplistic though. Publicly run Dublin Bus has a virtual monopoly and it's hardly poster boy for an efficient transport system. If it was there would be little reason to turn to privatisation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So far, BusConnects looks good to me. Be interesting to see the response from a broader audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

LXFlyer wrote: »
    While it is positive, until people actually study the detailed plans (contained in chapter 7) and how they affect them, I’d take that initial consultation with a loose pinch of salt as it was VERY high level in nature.

On first glances there is an awful lot of good stuff in the report, but it will require a lot of in-depth reading to fully assess the strengths and weaknesses.

But what I will say is that there is a need for the associated infrastructure improvements to be put in place before these changes are implemented if people using low frequency connecting routes are to have any form of certainty about making connections off the high frequency spines. Otherwise confidence will slip away very quickly.

Just did what you said. I'm from Celbridge and was really encouraged with all the orbitals routes planned between other towns and and connections to trains stations in the area.

I then noticed that the 67x will go from approx 10 services in each direction a day to 3. Also the route is far less direct.

I can see the point of bus connects is to try and get people to use the train more but the vast majority travel by bus to the city centre at the moment. It will take a massive shift in habits for people to go for this. I wonder is this the same around the city

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Where are the high res detailed maps everything I can see on the site is low res

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Where are the high res detailed maps everything I can see on the site is low res

https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/dublin-area-bus-network-redesign-public-consultation-report/

Download the PDFs

The key chapter is Chapter 7 which has all the detail on routes, frequencies etc. and full maps.

https://www.busconnects.ie/media/1239/chapter7recommendednetworkplan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Taxis are sustainable transport?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭prunudo

First of all, apologies to anyone that isn't familiar with the area but was just having a quick look the proposed new route replacing the 184 which will now bypass kilpedder village completely, with buses staying on the n11 both north and south. It also doesn't go to the Glenview hotel anymore. Afaik the route they are suggesting isn't possible as there is a weight restriction on the link road at Barry's bridge therefore it has to go to the Glenview to loop around.
    This is local to me, hence why I looked. It's a welcome that they propose linking up with Newcastle but I've always felt the Kilmacanogue bus should come to the Glenview too, thus creating a way for people to connect this way rather than having to go through Greystones and on to Bray to change buses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Weight limits are sometimes fictional to create a HGV ban rather than actually structural.

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    First of all, apologies to anyone that isn't familiar with the area but was just having a quick look the proposed new route replacing the 184 which will now bypass kilpedder village completely, with buses staying on the n11 both north and south. It also doesn't go to the Glenview hotel anymore. Afaik the route they are suggesting isn't possible as there is a weight restriction on the link road at Barry's bridge therefore it has to go to the Glenview to loop around.
    This is local to me, hence why I looked. It's a welcome that they propose linking up with Newcastle but I've always felt the Kilmacanogue bus should come to the Glenview too, thus creating a way for people to connect this way rather than having to go through Greystones and on to Bray to change buses.

It could be an oversight.

Advertisement