Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Right, here is my essay on reoiteog mharfach. Note the theme i am using is sadness and it works out at about 1 A4 page. THe whole essay can abbreviated into one word:

RiTSaTaRiCMaBBULDITI

The capital letters are the ones that start each sentence. Once the word is learnt, the sessay should just come easily.

Rinne mé stáidéar ar an dán "Reoiteog Mharfach" a scríobh Déaglán Collinge. Tá cur síos ann ar bhrón an fhile nuair a fheiceann sé timpiste ina bhfaigheann leanbh bás. Sa dán pléann sé an t-ábhar seo. Tá téama an-bhróin go láidir tríd an dán.

Ritheann buachaill óg amach ar an mbóthar agus buaileann carr é. "Chuaigh tú de ruthar ó chúl an veain amach". Maraíodh é ar an bpointe mar thit sé i gcarnán cosúil le bábóg. Bhí áthas ar an mbuachaill nuair a cheannaigh sé uachtar reoite. Bhí deifir air, agus rith sé amach ar an mbóthar.

Úsáideann an fhile íomhanna láidre chun cur síos a dhéanamh ar an eachtra. Léirionn sé an máthair ag screadáil. Déanann sé tagairt don uachtar reoite atá síos ar an mbóthar agus an buachaill atá anois i gconrá ar an talamh. Is léir on méid atá ráite agam go bhfuil téama an-bhróin tríd an dán. tá an dán seo lán le brón- brón na máthair agus an athair. Is dán dea scríofa é le stíl díreach.

EXcuse the typos, mispellings and fadas if there wrong.

Hope this helps :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Sentid wrote: »
    Right, here is my essay on reoiteog mharfach. Note the theme i am using is sadness and it works out at about 1 A4 page. THe whole essay can abbreviated into one word:

RiTSaTaRiCMaBBULDITI

The capital letters are the ones that start each sentence. Once the word is learnt, the sessay should just come easily.

Rinne mé stáidéar ar an dán "Reoiteog Mharfach" a scríobh Déaglán Collinge. Tá cur síos ann ar bhrón an fhile nuair a fheiceann sé timpiste ina bhfaigheann leanbh bás. Sa dán pléann sé an t-ábhar seo. Tá téama an-bhróin go láidir tríd an dán.

Ritheann buachaill óg amach ar an mbóthar agus buaileann carr é. "Chuaigh tú de ruthar ó chúl an veain amach". Maraíodh é ar an bpointe mar thit sé i gcarnán cosúil le bábóg. Bhí áthas ar an mbuachaill nuair a cheannaigh sé uachtar reoite. Bhí deifir air, agus rith sé amach ar an mbóthar.

Úsáideann an fhile íomhanna láidre chun cur síos a dhéanamh ar an eachtra. Léirionn sé an máthair ag screadáil. Déanann sé tagairt don uachtar reoite atá síos ar an mbóthar agus an buachaill atá anois i gconrá ar an talamh. Is léir on méid atá ráite agam go bhfuil téama an-bhróin tríd an dán. tá an dán seo lán le brón- brón na máthair agus an athair. Is dán dea scríofa é le stíl díreach.

EXcuse the typos, mispellings and fadas if there wrong.

ah finally, someone else who has done r.m lol XD XD thanks a mill for the Word thingy, never thought of doing something like that XD

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Right here's my version of níl aon ní. The whole essay can be abbreviated into one word:

SUDIBiDNIDeDNiTaDa

The capital letters stand for the first letter in each sentence, once you know the word, the essay is easy to remember.

Sa dán seo taispeánann Cathal ó Searcaigh an grá atá aige dá ait dhuchaisi nDún na nGall. Úsáideann se íomhanna de áilleacht an dúlra chun é seo a dhéanamh. Deir sé go bhfuil faoiseamh i gCaiseal na gCorr nuair a bhíonn an smólach ag canadh go déanach sa tráthnóna. In Inis Bó Finne bíonn solas ag teacht ón spéir cosúil le huisce ag síleadh ó bhuicéad stáin. Bíonn síocháin i Mín na Craoithe nuair a thagann an ceo ag deireadh an lae. Dá mbeadh a ghrá i gCaillte Fhána Bhuí bheadh ceol draíochta le clisteáil aige ó na cloiginí gorma.
    Níl a ghrá sásta dul go Dún na nGall mar b'fhearr leis bheith ina chónaí i mBaile Átha Cliath. Is fuath leis an bhfile Baile Átha Cliath agus úsáideann sé codarsnacht chun é seo a theaspáint. Deir se go mbíonn torann traíochta ann in ionad fuaimeann ón ndúlra. Deir sé freisin go bhfuil an brúchtbhaile ann gránna. Níl aon ainm aige ar an mbrúchtbhaile ach tá ainm ar ngach áit i nDún na nGall. Taispeánann na logainmneacha an grá atá aige dá ait dhuchais.
    Dá mbeadh a ghrá leis i nDún na nGall bheadh filíocht álainn ag teacht óna bhéal cosúil leis an sulastrach atá ag fás ann.

Apologies for the typos and spelling errors if present

• Registered Users Posts: 28 juniorcertlol

Can anyone help me with a history paragraph/essay on "relations between the Irish and British governments 1923-32". I'm struggling to make up 12 marks on it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LawwRaaa

Here is a sheet of Irish verbs I wrote out. All the grammar in my Irish books are very confusing and not concise, so I hope these help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irishgirl123

does anyone have any ideas on what is coming up for home ec ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Lads I just found an old hardback copy full of People In History essays that I'd forgotten about and I figured that typing them up would help me remember them (and I am far too lazy to just take notes mechanically) so hey, I might as well put them up here so other people can benefit from them.

George Washington was a key figure in the American War of Independence. A wealthy farmer from Virginia, his skills and common sense were essential to America getting its independence from Britain.

Washington attended the First Continental Congress in Philadelphia in 1774, and at the Second Continental Congress in 1775 he was chosen as Commander-in-Chief of the American army. People wanted to gain independence from Britain as they despised the taxes imposed on them, such as the Stamp Act and the Townshend Acts, and that the British government could control them 5,000 miles away without any American representative in parliament. They felt that George Washington would be the best man to lead them in their cause.

The War of Independence began in 1775. Washington had his first victory at the Battle of Brunker Hill, which was resolved in 1776. Washington's good tactics, order and discipline ensured the American success. His tactics included bombarding the city with cannons.

Despite this victory, the Americans were doing badly in the war, suffering a loss at Long Island, New York in the summer of 1776. However, on Christmas Day 1776 Washington and his troops crossed the River Delaware and launched a surprise attack on the British troops at Trenton in New Jersey. The troops were taken by surprise, as they were celebrating Christmas Day. The Americans emerged from the battle as victors, and this victory lifted the spirits of the Americans.

Washington suffered a loss in Philadelphia in 1777, and as a result was forced to spend the winter at Valley Forge, where many of his soldiers died from disease. The remaining soldiers were trained well, with the help of Baron Friedrich von Steuben from Germany.

Elsewhere, the Americans had a very important victory at Saratoga, which was the turning point of the war as French joined the war when news reached them of the American victory at Saratoga. They supported the Americans as they were bitter and wanted revenge after the loss of Canada to Britain. French help was very important, as they challenged the control of the British navy, the soldiers were well-trained and disciplined and the British army was weakened as they had to pull troops to defend their Caribbean colonies from the French.

The British took the city of Charlestown in 1780, with General Cornwallis as their leader. They advanced to Virginia, where they found themselves trapped by Washington and his troops at the town of Yorktown. A French fleet prevented help reaching the British. Cornwallis surrendered in October 1781. The war of independence was over, and the Americans had won.

Under the Treaty of Versailles, the USA was granted independence and British troops left America.

American success may not have been possible without the leadership and tactics of George Washington. He became the first President of the USA, of a democratic government, and served for two terms. He retired in 1797 and died in 1799. He is regarded as the father of the American nation.

An archaeologist is someone who looks for artefacts to discover more about our ancestors and how they lived. To do this, they excavate sites which they believe may contain relics of the past.
    Sites are chosen based on the likelihood of artefacts being found there. A site may be chosen as:
    Research archaeology –following research, such as reading from a book or document from the past, an archaeologist may believe there is sufficient evidence to excavate a site mentioned in the document.
    Rescue archaeology – if a building or road is going to be built on a site, an archaeologist may decide to excavate it to make sure no relics from the past are lost.

When archaeologists excavate sites, first they carry out a survey – they take aerial photographs, did test trenches and make a detailed plan of the site. When the actual dig takes place, firstly the topsoil is removed. Then the archaeologist looks for artefacts. They use tools such as trowels and hand-picks which are used in the digging process. They use brushes when an object is found and sieves to sieve soil and make sure nothing has been missed. When an object has been discovered, a photograph is taken of it.

Once artefacts have been found, they must be dated. Archaeologists can figure out how hold an object is by a number of methods:
    Stratigraphy dates objects by measuring the depth at which they are found. The deeper an object is found, the older it is.
    Carbon dating – when a living thing dies, the carbon present in their body begins to decline. Archaeologists can tell how old a body is by measuring the amount of carbon remaining.
    Dendrochronology dates wooden objects by studying the pattern of rings which relate to the aging of a tree – each year it grows a ring. Archaeologists can tell how old the wood is by counting the rings and studying the pattern.

This is how an archaeologist carries out a dig.

(This actually looks quite short but it's a whole A4 page and my writing is tiny - it'd probably be a page and a half on exam booklets too. In fact, in my copy this is longer than George Washington. Weird.)

The lord of a medieval castle lived in the keep of a medieval castle with his family. The castle usually had three storeys. The lord and his family lived on the top floor and the ground floor was the great hall where feasts were held and criminals were tried. Food and weapons were stored in the basement. When times were more peaceful, the lord and his family lived in a manor house.

The lord had numerous employees who helped him run his estates. Among these employees was his bailiff who collected rents and stopped crime. The serfs were ruled by the lord. Freemen paid him rent but could do as they wished otherwise.

The lord generally ate meat and pottage (vegetable soup with porridge). There were two main meals a day – dinner at 12PM and supper at 4PM. Feasts were held in the great hall, where food was served on wooden plates or on big slices of bread called trenches. The lord drank wine or ale.

Most lords were illiterate – they could not read or write. Good manners and fighting were considered to be more important than reading or writing. The lord’s sons were educated by a priest, who taught them this.

When the lord was free he liked to fish and go hawking. He also enjoyed taking part in or watching tournaments, which comprised of jousts and tourneys, and listening to court jesters and minstrels.

(This would probably fill a page of an exam booklet, it fills about 3/4 of an A4 page for me.)

My name is John Smith. I came to Ireland ten years ago from England, in 1611, as I was granted land in Tyrone by King James I, as part of the plantation of Ulster.

I am an undertaker. I own 2,000 acres at a price of £5 per 1,000 acres per year, therefore I pay 10£ per year. This was a very fair price and motivated me to move here. As an undertaker, I am not allowed to rent land to Irish tenants. Other types of settlers are Servitors – English and Scottish men who worked for the government here in Ireland - and Loyal Irish – Native Irish who stayed loyal to the king during the Nine Years War.

I brought my family and some other farmers and craftspeople with me. However, I did not get nearly enough people to come as I had hoped so I have had to rent land to some native Irish people. This is forbidden, but I have no choice and they pay higher rent than my Scottish and English tenants.

Before being granted my land, I had to swear that I would promote the Protestant religion and spread English laws and customs in Ulster. I have no problem with this, as I am an Anglican and have no time for papists. However, most of the Irish are Catholics and are hostile towards me. I am afraid they may attack me, like they have done for others, and while our language and customs are spreading, many are still firm Catholica.

I have built a village around my house, which has a Protestant church and school. I am currently building a courthouse and gaol. There is a Diamond in the centre of my village which will be used for markets where farmers can sell their local produce when my village grows. The streets are wide and straight. I would like for my village to one day grow into a town like Londonderry or Coleraine.

I am glad I moved here, but at the same time I am fearful of the native Irish. I hope that my family and I will continue to live in safety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Slow Show wrote: »
    My name is John Smith. I came to Ireland ten years ago from England, in 1611, as I was granted land in Tyrone by King James I, as part of the plantation of Ulster.

have had to rent land to some native Irish people. This is forbidden, but I have no choice and they pay higher rent than my Scottish and English tenants.

Mention building a stone house and a bawn.

spurious wrote: »
    Mention building a stone house and a bawn.

Thanks. :pac: Writing about the plantations is something I really hope I'll be able to avoid, but I'll keep that in mind if I end up having to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Slow Show wrote: »
    Thanks. :pac: Writing about the plantations is something I really hope I'll be able to avoid, but I'll keep that in mind if I end up having to.
    I believe plantations came up in 2010 for people in history so you need not worry :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MarkD09 wrote: »
    I believe plantations came up in 2010 for people in history so you need not worry :)

There is no rule says it cannot come up two years running. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bruckey2345

Hi people, just wondering does anybody have a sample answer for the irish poem An blascaod mór anois? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yellowsky169

Sceál
    Is maith is cuimhin liom an laethanta saoire sin. Chuaigh mise agus mo chlann chuig na hOilean Chánaracha trí bliain ó shin. Bhí mé ar bis mar nior chuaigh mé chuig na Chánaracha riamh roimhe. Cheap mé go raibh an t-Adh derag orm mar bhuaigh mé na ticead ar an radió ach níor smaoinigh me faoi an eachtraí sa todhcaí....

San chead seachtaine bhí an aimsire go hiontach gach lá. Bjí an ghrian ag scoilte na gclóc. Bhí mise, mo dheartháireacha Eoghan agus Daithí agus mo dheirfiúr Aoibhinn ag imirt leadóg le mo chol ceathracha ó Spainn, Isabella agus Mariana, gach lá ar an trá. Bhí mé ar scamall a naoi.

D'fhan muid in ostán deas in aice na farraige mar bhí teach mo haintín, Mairead, ró beag fa choinne cuigear.

Bhí mé ag feachaint ar an teilifise le Aoibhinnagus mo mham sa seomra.
    Bhí an aimsire iontach lofa. Bhí imni orm mar bhí an gálaí gaoithe an laidir. Bhí sé ag stealladh baistí freisin. Ansin, thosaigh an tintreach agus toirneach. Chuaigh mé go dtí an leaba ansin mar bhí tuirseach traochta orm. Thit mé ina choladh go tapa.

I lar an oiche, chuala mé Daithí agus Eoghan ag screadáil ó a tseomra! Rith mé isteach le luas lasrach. Bhí Eoghan agus Daithí ag crith agus ag caoineadh. Chonaic mé mórán uisce ar an urlár. Bhí scoilt fhada insan síleáil. Thainig Eoghan agus Daithí aras go dtí mo sheomra.

Nuair a bhí mé amach, d'eirigh mam mar bhí uisce ag stealladh as an síleáil friesin. Chuamar chuig an failtiú. Nuair a thainig muid bhí an ait dubh le daoine ag gearán. Táim an daoine is sine sa chlann agus mar gheall ar sin d'fhan mé le Aoibhinn agus Daithí. Chuaigh mo mham agus mo chupla Eoghan chun eolais a fhail.

Chonaic mé na gardaí ag cuardach na háite. Bhí rira agus ruaille buaille ann. Thainig fear sios na staire. Bhí sé ag screadáil in ard a chinn gutha agus ag fola go troim. Thit sé i laige gan rabhadh. Thuig mé Daithí agus Aobhinn isteach san bialann ansin. Bhí sé plodaithe. Chuir mé glao ar mam agus thainig siad i bhfaitfeadh na suile.

Thosiagh mam ag inis a sceál. Thit crainn mór an taobh ó dheas, mar bhuail tintreach air. Bhí uaireanta daoine gortaithe.

Fuair muid ár bagaiste agus chuamar chuig teach Mairead. Sa maidin, chuaigh mise agus mo mham chuig an tostán. Thainig mórán uisce isteach nuair a thit an gcrann. Bhí an áit ina phraiseach!

D'fhan muid sa teach Mairead aris an oiche sin. Chaith muid an eitlean an lá seo chugainn. Bhí athas an domhain orm nuair a shroich muid abhaile. Buiochas le Dia bhí muid slán sabhailte. Tá sé fior a rá, níl aon tintean ar do thintean féin.

Sorry if there are any mistakes! This is two foolscaps long in my writing which is pretty big:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 DarkEagleEye

Examples of People in History
    A Neolithic Farmer-Person living in Ancient Ireland.
    1.grew crops and kept animals
    2.less hunting and more settled than earlier inhabitants
    3.more skilled and made better tools, stronger and sharper
    4.divided land into separate fields surrounded by stone walls
    5.Ceide Fields in Mayo has evidence
    6.stone axes used to cut down trees
    7.land prepared for crops by using mattocks or wooden ploughs to turn the soil
    8.clothes made from animal skin or wool
    9.spinning & weaving began to develop
    10.dyes made from plants were used
    11.stronger and more longer lasting houses were built
    12.houses made from wood, stone or a mixture of both
    13.farms situated on higher ground
    14.houses rectangluar in shape and larger than heretofore
    15.thick posts stuck in the ground,branches woven between them
    16.plastered with a mixture of mud and straw. Wattle and Daub.
    17.roof made from straw and rushes.
    18.cooking around a fireplace in the middle of the floor
    19.small hole in roof was the chimney
    20.food stored in clay pots

Each of these points are worth 2 marks(approx eg.20 marks in question so 10 statements) so expand these points to get your marks:pac:
    I have more of these notes on the medievil knight, an irish leader of the struggle for independence and a american soldier involved in the D-Day invasion if you want them give me a shout.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 DarkEagleEye

Also sry for double post but if somebody has a sample answer for the theme death in the poem reiteoig mharfach it would be appriciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leighanne

Rinne me staidear ar an dan ''Subh Milis'' le Seamus O'Niell . Ta na teama gra , bron agus uaigneas le feiceail anseo .
    nuair a fheiceann an file subh milis ar an doras tagann fearag air mar ni raibh bascrann glann . muchann se an mothucan seo . smaoinionn an file ag an la nuair a bheas an baschrann glan . agus ta a phaiste ag fasann suas. ta uaigneas le feiceail anseo agus bron . smaoininn se freisin ar an saol ata ag an phaiste . agus comh gairid is a bhionn saol phaiste . ta a fhioss aige nach fade eile a bheidh a mhac no inion sa bhaile leis mar phaiste .
    nuair a bheidh an phaiste imithe , beigh an doras glan
    '' a bheas an baschrann glan ,
    agus an laimh beag ar iarridh ''
    beidh bron agus uaigneas ar an bhfile i ndiadh an phaiste . ta gra an fhile da phaiste le brath sa dan seo . ta se an-easca gra an fhile a brath trid na focail shimpli agus stil se liom :D

its not much , but hop it helps
    best of luck everyone in the junior cert :D

Examples of People in History
    A Neolithic Farmer-Person living in Ancient Ireland.
    1.grew crops and kept animals
    2.less hunting and more settled than earlier inhabitants
    3.more skilled and made better tools, stronger and sharper
    4.divided land into separate fields surrounded by stone walls
    5.Ceide Fields in Mayo has evidence
    6.stone axes used to cut down trees
    7.land prepared for crops by using mattocks or wooden ploughs to turn the soil
    8.clothes made from animal skin or wool
    9.spinning & weaving began to develop
    10.dyes made from plants were used
    11.stronger and more longer lasting houses were built
    12.houses made from wood, stone or a mixture of both
    13.farms situated on higher ground
    14.houses rectangluar in shape and larger than heretofore
    15.thick posts stuck in the ground,branches woven between them
    16.plastered with a mixture of mud and straw. Wattle and Daub.
    17.roof made from straw and rushes.
    18.cooking around a fireplace in the middle of the floor
    19.small hole in roof was the chimney
    20.food stored in clay pots

Each of these points are worth 2 marks(approx eg.20 marks in question so 10 statements) so expand these points to get your marks:pac:
    I have more of these notes on the medievil knight, an irish leader of the struggle for independence and a american soldier involved in the D-Day invasion if you want them give me a shout.:D

There is the makings of about three full mark answers in that.
    You are writing WAY too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yellowsky169

I was told to write 10 statements for each people in history too just incase 1 or 2 wern't quite good enough but they can be joined together? How many should we write?

Have a look at this thread.

Check the marking scheme and see how many SRSs they are looking for.

Your teacher is correct in that two partial SRSs can be combined for one SRS mark.

Have a look at the marking scheme for last year's paper (.pdf file) particularly with regard to the People in History question. They even outline what sort of statements could be put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elaine309

Dat took 4eva I'd say I tink it a bit late now to start
    Learning .I'm gonna fail English and Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elaine309

Tanks that was helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

I'd really love to post some Irish notes up here, I literally have great notes on every section, but 1) seeing as I didn't write them, it could be considered copyright infringement and 2) I got them from a grind teacher, and it wouldn't be right to give away his tricks of the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

Do it!! you know you want to ;)

I'd really love to post some Irish notes up here, I literally have great notes on every section, but 1) seeing as I didn't write them, it could be considered copyright infringement and 2) I got them from a grind teacher, and it wouldn't be right to give away his tricks of the trade.

Don't post them, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NathanOR

Has anybody what so ever have any Goodnight Mister Tom notes?? Plz help....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Has anyone got any notes on Dúnmharú ar an Dart? My irish teacher is woeful and I have no clue what went on for the whole book.. thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 AppleTree99

In Irish or English? :)

Advertisement