Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning: 26 / 27 / 28 Jan 2020

• 24-01-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Much colder from Sunday evening with heavy showers in a polar maritime air mass turning to sleet and snow from the west. Some thunder/hail is likely occasionally in western parts.

icon4.png

Potential cause of disruption: snow showers
    Areas most at risk: Munster, Connaught, Ulster, North Leinster

Accumulations of between 2 and 5 cms likely particularly across north Connaught and Ulster but all areas are at risk of some snowfall.

Daytime temperatures generally between 0 and 4c. Night time values between -4 and 0c.

Wind chill values anywhere between -8 and 0c between Sunday night and Wednesday afternoon (feeling rawest through Tuesday)

Icey at times and frost in sheltered areas from the wind further east.

giphy.gif

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I would think for the South that Tuesday is the day for falling and pbly lying snow on high ground. It's a 48 hour event but after the Winter so far let's welcome it with open arms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Love your work....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wow Kermit.de.frog Think I will postpone West-East-West travelling plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You mean... I might after all get to make one last snowman!!!! Oh GEEE!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kutebride wrote: »
    Wow Kermit.de.frog Think I will postpone West-East-West travelling plans.

No! :eek: Unlikely to be that disruptive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hope we get to see some nice flickers. All else is secondary to me.

New Moon

Now you have started something that will gather momentum like a snowball rolling downhill!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

:confused:

Graces7 wrote: »
    :confused:

giphy.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Been a while sine I've done some lamp post watching.
    They changed the bulbs in my area to white LED. I'll miss seeing those flakes fall through the yellow glow :(

• Advertisement

What? lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As long as its not flutters! Eh? Eh?

• A temporary dusting on the hills of Mayo & Donegal? "Disruption" my eye.

Graces7 wrote: »
    What? lol!

Lamp posts are snow detection devices.

Nabber wrote: »
    Lamp posts are snow detection devices.

Ah OK! Being out in the boonies we don't have such.... sophistications and my outside light is out.... :rolleyes:

Nabber wrote: »
    Been a while sine I've done some lamp post watching.
    They changed the bulbs in my area to white LED. I'll miss seeing those flakes fall through the yellow glow :(

Too true on the new white LEDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

I have a funny feeling this is going to be a good one. Why do I think that? I got roped into a trip to Sweden for 3 days leaving early Sunday morning, and there is no snow on the forecast there, so they probably be loads here and I'll miss it!!

Tee hee know what you mean. Indeed I'm not the best driving cross country during any white wintry conditions. I remember the flash in the pan snow on the M6 March 2019, I think it was Left home (NE Galway) on clear roads. Joined the M6 and it was like a winter wonderland all the way back to parts of Meath with falling snow and still nothing back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Delighted - we've not had anything like the snow the south and east got over the last couple of years - here in Connaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off to build snowmen.

This is guaranteed isn't it

Ye wouldn't set up a thread and then have rain

I'll take photos of whatever happens and struggle to attach them on boards next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Guaranteed for some, maybe for others.

Cheer up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Guaranteed for some, maybe for others.

Cheer up :pac:

Guaranteed for whom, would you say? I'm talking lying snow, couple of usable centimeters, not passing flurries or melting precip.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Guaranteed for whom, would you say? I'm talking lying snow, couple of usable centimeters, not passing flurries or melting precip.

centimeters? I only measure my snow in inches or feet. I'm expecting 2oz per square inch.

lol...

My family in Newfoundland have just been dug out after their houses were buried over the rooves and they were told to restock with food as there is more heavy snow this weekend...

When I say dug out I mean the army dug out a pathway to the door so they are walking between great walls of snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Those living on Nephin and other mountain peaks.

pvxnhol.gif

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

right now my guess is it will mostly be cold rain/sleet and flakes on wet ground sort of thing during daylight hours, as temperatures will be not cold enough away from high ground for it to properly settle. I would say the hills of Donegal, Mayo and Northern Ireland most at risk. These charts are still several days out and the GFS tends to overdo the snow potential and are a very rough guide. These tend to downgrade closer to reliable timeframe.

Monday afternoon temperatures:
    75-580UK.GIF?24-12

Monday afternoon precipitation:
    75-574UK.GIF?24-12

Monday night:
    Monday night temperatures:
    90-583UK.GIF?24-12

Monday night precipitation:
    showers crossing from west to east, dying back to the west after midnight, could be snow in them.
    81-574UK.GIF?24-12

This particular chart looks well overcooked for snow potential in the north-east of the country.

Tuesday looks fairly chilly with temperatures between 2 and 5C generally.
    96-580UK.GIF?24-12

Tuesday precipitation:
    Wintry showers across the western half of the country:
    96-574UK.GIF?24-12

Showers dying out Tuesday night and milder air returns during Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The gfs is on its own with the coldest uppers tonight. It's a nothing event if ukmo/ecm is correct.
    The gfs usually over does the cold uppers but not always..

If I do see snow (which will be nothing more than shcutter) from this event, it would be the first observed snow this winter for my location, which is extraordinary in itself. I was actually kinda hoping that I could get through this winter without seeing a single flake, just to see if it can be achieved, but I guess climatology will always win out in the end.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If I do see snow (which will be nothing more than shcutter) from this event, it would be the first observed snow this winter for my location, which is extraordinary in itself. I was actually kinda hoping that I could get through this winter without seeing a single flake, just to see if it can be achieved, but I guess climatology will always win out in the end.

not a flake fell here all last winter, at least I can't remember one! We did get some brief snowfall in March one Sunday afternoon. Not a flake this year either. I'll amazed if I see any snow from Monday/Tuesday event.

Advertisement