Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Unexpected lightning and thunder towards the north of Achill now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Thought it was the wind first but a couple of flashes and rumbles followed by a torrential prolonged hail shower in Galway just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Am hearing thunder here but sounds distant. The odd flickery flash.

Edit: that 'lil rumbler well off the the east now.
    xYlhX2u.png

New Moon

I'm sure you have heard by now but the M6 at the M6/M18 junction was mayhem after that cell passed over, thick covering of hail on the road with cars sliding off and finishing up facing the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm sure you have heard by now but the M6 at the M6/M18 junction was mayhem after that cell passed over, thick covering of hail on the road with cars sliding off and finishing up facing the wrong way.
    Didn't hear that but heard a **** load of sirens yesterday eve about 7.30pm. Not sure where they were headed but hope there was no serious accident (I haven't heard anything anyway)

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Didn't hear that but heard a **** load of sirens yesterday eve about 7.30pm. Not sure where they were headed but hope there was no serious accident (I haven't heard anything anyway)

Multiple accidents yesterday evening after a heavy shower of hail, the same thing has happened this morning following another shower of hail in the same place as yesterday, must be something wrong on the road surface in that location and of course speed don't help, thankfully no serious injuries.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Multiple accidents yesterday evening after a heavy shower of hail, the same thing has happened this morning following another shower of hail in the same place as yesterday, must be something wrong on the road surface in that location and of course speed don't help, thankfully no serious injuries.

It's just perfectly lined up with Galway Bay so gets a fair share of its heavy showers as far as I have seen from years of radar watching.
    Regarding the road surface, if you hit an inch of hail at 120kph on any surface you are going to know all about it, after that it is down to how you react and how other people around you react which will determine wheter or not you have an accident.
    Leaving a 1 car gap at motorway speeds won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Saw plenty of lightning out west about 0630 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was sat at the 2km exit sign for 20 minutes or so around 830
    Crawling with the tail back
    Probably no harm !

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Saw plenty of lightning out west about 0630 this morning
    Saw those flashes out there earlier in the morning darkness myself. Once the daylight came, the impressive columns from these shower clouds were clearly visible and were easily defined as they moved through this part of the west.
    The pic below is looking out beyond Castlebar before 8.30am as this incoming shower came in off Clew Bay. Left a nice bit of hail in its wake when it passed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Large hail setting off car alarms, lightning and loud bang of thunder Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Large hail setting off car alarms, lightning and loud bang of thunder Galway City.

Just heard a rumble in north east of the county near Dunmore, Thought it was a cattle stampede lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A good thunderstorm over Castlebar currently.

There was some clap of thunder in Galway at around 6am with hail.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There was some clap of thunder in Galway at around 6am with hail.

Yup, mad. Haven't seen lightning in a very long time so was nice to see.

Good few flashes and rumble to be seen and heard from Galway city at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thunder a few moments ago here near Tralee and the lights went out for a few seconds, gust of wind came and side swiped by a shower.

SlYUfhl.png

Recent strikes near Ballybunion,Castlebar and Sligo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rq8oJBQ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Can definitely confirm we had at least one lightning strike here in Sligo, it lit up the entire room and a massive thunder clap was approximately 10 seconds behind it and rattled the roof! 😠(Given my geographical position it's a miracle I seen any lightning at all! But it was spectacular!)

Opportunity for convection activity with possible hail and sporadic thunderstorms along Southern counties tonight into the morning during the passage of a Low and it's associated fronts, might be a chance for observing lightning along Southern coasts. Already a lot of earlier sferics and a few new ones from the weather making its way towards us. Could get a convection line going along or off the S . S/E coasts in the early hours that could produce lightning and strong gusts along the Southern coasts. . Plenty of shear available.

1KIDkcA.png?1

anim_qjl7.gif

anim_dyz8.gif

keeK4Ew.png

anim_qrc2.gif

anim_xkj5.gif

Q4Pb50H.png

RAjMuVs.png

yoSFO2u.png

Getting closer now

0pnfoNo.png

oU8zCKk.jpg

Rumbles here near Tralee, storms going up along the coast, probably a few strikes closer to the shore that are not showing up on the map.

XLLW38Y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BlueSkyDay

Hope we get some in the south east.
    Nothing like an aul bang:)

Anyone think we will get Thunder in Galway

Looks like sod all to me.

I see some sferics out at sea, but the lights in the house just flashed here, so maybe there is something near by?

Met 2130

Wet and windy weather countrywide tonight, with sleet and hill snow in the north for a time. Spot flooding is likely as a line of thundery downpours moves eastwards across the southern half of the country. A clearance to showers will follow from the south overnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Sferics showing off the Cork coast

Advertisement