Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARTC and Electrical licence for Australia??

• 13-03-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im a qualified electrician planning on going to australia at the end of this year on a WHV and i have been looking into getting my electrical licence so i can work when i get over there! Finding it very hard to get info on it, and it seems to cost a bit too!!:(

So if anyone has done it before or has any info on how to do it, or if its worth doing, id appreciate the help!!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I dont know a whole pile about it but as far as I know it takes a few weeks to complete. I think it will be well worth doing as if you dont, you will be employed as a trade assistant basically doing the same work but getting paid a lot less. It would be very good to have if you were interested in getting sponsored at some stage down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

s.c wrote: »
    I dont know a whole pile about it but as far as I know it takes a few weeks to complete. I think it will be well worth doing as if you dont, you will be employed as a trade assistant basically doing the same work but getting paid a lot less. It would be very good to have if you were interested in getting sponsored at some stage down the line.

mate of mine got his australian electrical licence a while back , he said the fastest way is to go to SA (adelaide) and do the exams there and then transfer over the licence to whichever state ur gonna be living in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Britishexpats is the best place to look for info. I done the course in Adelaide 2 years ago but its changed since I done it so its not as easy as it used to be but its still relatively easy. Alot of guys in Perth at the minute seem to be opting for the 2 week course through college of electrical training. It also depends on which state you are going to work in. Some states require you to work as a trade assistant for a while and fill out a log book while doing so before you can get a licence. The ARTC can be done from Ireland but you need to use an Australian address. When doing this make sure you get assessed as an electrical mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭rob w

Cheers for the replies lads,

I had a look at the forms for the artc today, id just be a bit worried that if its not filled out correctly that they wouldnt grant me the cert and id have to apply again and prob pay the $300 fee.

What is the difference between electrical mech and fitter, ive heard the fitter licence isnt of much use, and that its up to them if they assess you as a mech of fitter!! Is this true does anyone know??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

It all depends on your experience. If most of your experience is domestic, commercial or industrial you will be classed as an electrical mechanic. If most of your experience is in maintenance then you will be classed as an electrical fitter. The fitter's licence is pretty much useless and you will end up working as a TA for 12 months before you get the A grade licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alanjj

hi.....i am heading to Oz soon,i was wondering if it is possible to sit the exam for the australian electrical license in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thepacman

At alanjj
    Apparently if your a member of the trade union in this country they are willing to submit you a license for Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OzExpert

My name is Jason Greene I am the Director and founder of skill shortage solutions. I have dedicated my career to assisting Irish Electricians in gaining an electrical license in Australia. I am a Irish born FAS trained Instrument technician by trade, a permanent Australian resident, with 12 years’ experience in placing Irish and UK Electrician’s into employment in Australia.
    I can confidently say there is no one on the planet with more experience in converting Irish Electricians into licensed Electricians in Australia.
    Now I have spoken to the Irish Electrical union and I am quite sure as of today’s date they have never ever converted an Irish Electrician into an Australian licensed Electrician. I can also confidently say I have called the union on several occasions and not one person in the organization can tell me exactly how an Irish electrician gains an A grade license in Australia.
    I challenge the Irish Electrical union to show me even one case to this date where they have actually got an Irish Electrician through the process of licensing in Australia.
    I have personally assisted thousands of Irish Electricians gain an A grade electrical license in Australia and I do know exactly how to gain an electrical license. I have dedicated my career to this purpose and I am proud to see my company help so many Irish and UK Electricians.
    I would welcome the following responses.
    1. Anyone who has gotten an A grade Electrical license via the Irish Electrical union please tell us your story
    2. Anyone who has tried to call the Irish union to get information on licensing, please tell us your story
    3. The Electrical union to come back and prove my statements above are wrong
    Finally I would like to tell anyone who is an electrician that is considering getting an Electrical license and making the move to Australia, please check out our website and testimonials and come to our free seminars and get the facts, find out what is needed and make an educated decision on who you choose to put your faith in when moving to Australia. Is it going to be a union who has no previous experiece in the licensing system or is it a tried, tested and proven company (Skill Shortage Solutions) who knows exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 S_S116

Hi.

I know you've all be talking about getting an electricians licence for Australia but does Anyone have info on how to gain an electricians licence for working in New Zealand (Christchurch area) and if so can the assessment process be done in Ireland before hand.

Can you get an Australian electricians licence and transfer it to somewhere in New Zealand. If so how is this done?

I've been looking for ages on this. I'd really appreciate any help as he'd really like to start the process (if it's possible to do it in Ireland) ASAP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement