Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video won't play in Firefox

• 16-01-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

I bought a new desktop and installed all the usuals...However, firefox won't play videos anymore. It tells me to install a plug in and then recommends Windows Media Player which of course I have.

I've searched google for this and I've seen dozens of people with the same problem but as yet not one person has answered it adequately.

Any ideas?

(Also, every now and again my BRAND NEW PC Tower makes a buzzing noise that only stops when I gently tap the tower...that can't be good surely!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Could you please post a link of one of these videos you cannot see? I want to check if I have the same problem.

As for the buzzing sound, it must be a fan somewhere... Is it coming from the PSU? Processor cooling fan? Graphics Card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=grizzly_vs_cougar.wmv

It seems to be wmv files that it has a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Install Windows Media Player 11 & that should correct the problem hopefully as for whatever reason Firefox is not seeing the WMP plugin.

If that doesn't work just re-install Firefox 2 again straight over the current install.

I reinstalled WMP already...I'll try reinstalling Firefox now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Yup, you need the new media player. You could also try VLC player although iv never tried the Firefox plugin options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Works for me too in FireFox with WMP11. Run Windows Update and install it. Problem solved.

None of the above worked. Still won't play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

fade2black wrote:
    None of the above worked. Still won't play.

Hmm, go to Tools - Options and click on the Content tab. Click the manage button under File types and see what it has next to WMV files. If it doesnt say media player try setting it to that.

Aha! Here's the crux of the problem.

WMV is not in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'm experiencing the same problem. Anyone know how to set file associations manually?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My Computer->Tools->Options->File Types, you can change them there I think.

Still not working!! grr

Uninstall Firefox and delete your profile inside the Mozilla folder from your user folder in documents & settings. That will make Firefox do a clean install the next time.

(Be sure of course to backup any bookmarks etc)

Just in case load WMP go into Tools->Options->File Types mand make sure WMV is associated with WMP.

After the re-install load Firefox and type this into the address bar about:plugins and press enter and it will display the plugins Firefox has located in the system. If all went well you should see a Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library listing with various file types underneath.

If that fails then I suggest you follow the missing WMP plugin fix on Mozillazine wiki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

fade2black wrote:
    what a cool video, cheers for that!

I remember having the same problem with my new laptop, posted here and was told to get the new WMP which did the trick.

8T8 wrote:
    If that fails then I suggest you follow the missing WMP plugin fix on Mozillazine wiki.

This seems to have fixed it. Thans 8T8...

Tell me though...what other programs will play wmv....I don't think Windows Media Player is any great shakes and I don't think that's what I used on my last computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

fade2black wrote:

Tell me though...what other programs will play wmv....I don't think Windows Media Player is any great shakes and I don't think that's what I used on my last computer.

VLC is nice and lightweight.

fade2black wrote:

Practically none that will properly play embedded WMV in a web page if that's what you mean, you are pretty much stuck with the WMP plugin.

Outside of that for playing WMV use MPC (Media Player Classic) best media player for Windows.

Copy to a folder and run it then click view->options->player->formats from in here you can select the file types that will play in MPC there are quick buttons below to associate audio, video or everything with MPC.

The best thing to do I find is select Windows Media File and you will see .wmv and other files types, delete everything else in this line except .wmv because the other file types are intended for media streaming over the net and do not work properly if MPC is set as the player.

Advertisement