Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air Arms S510 XFac .22 Air rifle

• 05-02-2016 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

As far as I know the S510 is approx 30FT/Lbs on full power. How many Ft/Lbs is it on it's lowest power? How many shots would I get on full power and also on lowest power settings? Also, how many fills approx from a full air tank?(not sure what capacity tanks are)

Thanks.(pardon the pun)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

TombstoneT wrote: »
    As far as I know the S510 is approx 30FT/Lbs on full power. How many Ft/Lbs is it on it's lowest power? How many shots would I get on full power and also on lowest power settings? Also, how many fills approx from a full air tank?(not sure what capacity tanks are)

Thanks.(pardon the pun)

I have the S410 xtra

Mine puts out 32fpe on full using jsb jumbo heavies 18.13 gr, chronoed.

The other settings are not indexed but on lowest it's probably between 7-8 but I don't use it on low power and don't chronograph it on this setting.

I've seen some people set them up at various powers but it's kinda pointless unless you can guarantee that the adjustment knob won't move because if it does, your ballistics will change.

Tanks come in different sizes, most commonly 7 and 12 litre. But you can get 3 and possibly other.

On shot count, again it's not regulated so there will be a point where shot count will still have plenty power but will start to diminish incrementally. Full power will give around 45 shots before this happens. You might get another 25 shots. I've not chronoed a full tank of air which is the only way you could count it.

Don't over estimate how many shots you would actually use when hunting. I've never had to go back to the car for a fill on a session. But a 3l carbon bottle can give you a top up or if you feel inclined get a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

i have a s410 as said above around 30flb depending on pellet. i fill my gun to just under 200 bar and i get around 30 to
    35 shots as i fill again around 100 bar. i do not let my gun go under 80 bar pressure. if you shoot out all the air the
    seals can fall out seen it happen. lowest power setting is 6flb dont know how many shots. fills per tank will depend on
    size of tank and how much is in your gun when you fill it. when buying a tank get a 300 bar one.

i have a s410 as said above around 30flb depending on pellet. i fill my gun to just under 200 bar and i get around 30 to
    35 shots as i fill again around 100 bar. i do not let my gun go under 80 bar pressure. if you shoot out all the air the
    seals can fall out seen it happen. lowest power setting is 6flb dont know how many shots. fills per tank will depend on
    size of tank and how much is in your gun when you fill it. when buying a tank get a 300 bar one.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭TombstoneT

amadablam wrote: »
    I have the S410 xtra

Mine puts out 32fpe on full using jsb jumbo heavies 18.13 gr, chronoed.

The other settings are not indexed but on lowest it's probably between 7-8 but I don't use it on low power and don't chronograph it on this setting.

I've seen some people set them up at various powers but it's kinda pointless unless you can guarantee that the adjustment knob won't move because if it does, your ballistics will change.

Tanks come in different sizes, most commonly 7 and 12 litre. But you can get 3 and possibly other.

On shot count, again it's not regulated so there will be a point where shot count will still have plenty power but will start to diminish incrementally. Full power will give around 45 shots before this happens. You might get another 25 shots. I've not chronoed a full tank of air which is the only way you could count it.

Don't over estimate how many shots you would actually use when hunting. I've never had to go back to the car for a fill on a session. But a 3l carbon bottle can give you a top up or if you feel inclined get a pump.

Thanks for the helpful info amadablam. 45 shots at full power is plenty I agree for hunting purposes. If I was to buy a bottle, it would probably be a 12Litre, any idea what price a fill of air would be for a 12? I have not ruled out a hand pump either, but again I am open to suggestions +prices.

Thanks again.

skipking wrote: »

Hi skipking,
    When you say "get a 300 bar one", what pressures do the bottles come in? Why do you suggest the 300? Please forgive my ignorance but it's all new to me. I probably won't be purchasing for about another year but I just want to learn all I can before I do.

Thanks for great info so far and your patience.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the helpful info amadablam. 45 shots at full power is plenty I agree for hunting purposes. If I was to buy a bottle, it would probably be a 12Litre, any idea what price a fill of air would be for a 12? I have not ruled out a hand pump either, but again I am open to suggestions +prices.

Thanks again.

After fill is going to be about €5 but if you know someone that works with compressed air, dive centre, fire station, etc. They could do it for you. They might also be able to help you source a tank cheaply. But you will need to buy the connections.

Pump is handy but not really going to be the best long term solution. Also pumps can allow moisture into the system which isn't good for the rifle at all.

bottles have 232 bar and 300 bar pressure you will get more fills out of a 300 bar 12 liter than a 232 bar 12 liter bottle
    because of the higher pressure. i have a 300 bar 15 liter bottle it cost 20 euro to fill.

bottles have 232 bar and 300 bar pressure you will get more fills out of a 300 bar 12 liter than a 232 bar 12 liter bottle
    because of the higher pressure. i have a 300 bar 15 liter bottle it cost 20 euro to fill.

Just goes to show how long it is since I paid for a fill :o

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Thanks.(pardon the pun)

I have the S510XL.
    Since it is an unregulated gun, it ranges between 26ft lbs and 32ft lb using 15.9 grain pellets.
    It starts out at 27ft lb at 200bar, goes up to approx 32ft lb when the gun pressure is approx 160 bar and then drops down to 25ft lb as the pressure drops to 100 bar. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get 32ft lb over the entire fill range.
    Between 200 & 100 bar I get almost 50 shots.
    Depending on your extreme spread desire this may be in reality only 30 good shots as the velocits starts out at 880 fps, max of 935fps at 160 bar and drops to approx 820 fps at 100 bar.
    I get an extreme spread of 20fps for approx 27-30 shots.
    Never tested it on low power so can't answer that. I always shoot on full power. In fact i'd get rid of the power adjuster if I could.

Its a smashing gun, super accurate but if I was going again I would seriously consider a regulated gun or at least one that has a flatter power curve, such as some of the daystate models.
    You really need to spend time with this gun to be able to accurately predict were the pellet is going to hit for each of the 50 ish shots.
    Air Arms are now offering a regulated bull pup but is not avialable till May.

Regarding the bottle fill, I have a 7.5litre, 300 bar tank. It costs €7 for a fill and I get about 35 - 40 gun fills per tank.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    After fill is going to be about €5 but if you know someone that works with compressed air, dive centre, fire station, etc. They could do it for you. They might also be able to help you source a tank cheaply. But you will need to buy the connections.

Pump is handy but not really going to be the best long term solution. Also pumps can allow moisture into the system which isn't good for the rifle at all.

I actually do know 1 or 2 people in the fire brigade, didn't think of that possibility.I'm not hearing anything positive about the idea of a pump so maybe I'll skip that idea.

Thanks a lot for the helpful info.

This info explains a lot. It's all starting to come together and make sense now.
    Thanks for all your help.

HW100S wrote: »
    I have the S510XL.
    Since it is an unregulated gun, it ranges between 26ft lbs and 32ft lb using 15.9 grain pellets.
    It starts out at 27ft lb at 200bar, goes up to approx 32ft lb when the gun pressure is approx 160 bar and then drops down to 25ft lb as the pressure drops to 100 bar. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get 32ft lb over the entire fill range.
    Between 200 & 100 bar I get almost 50 shots.
    Depending on your extreme spread desire this may be in reality only 30 good shots as the velocits starts out at 880 fps, max of 935fps at 160 bar and drops to approx 820 fps at 100 bar.
    I get an extreme spread of 20fps for approx 27-30 shots.
    Never tested it on low power so can't answer that. I always shoot on full power. In fact i'd get rid of the power adjuster if I could.

Its a smashing gun, super accurate but if I was going again I would seriously consider a regulated gun or at least one that has a flatter power curve, such as some of the daystate models.
    You really need to spend time with this gun to be able to accurately predict were the pellet is going to hit for each of the 50 ish shots.
    Air Arms are now offering a regulated bull pup but is not avialable till May.

Regarding the bottle fill, I have a 7.5litre, 300 bar tank. It costs €7 for a fill and I get about 35 - 40 gun fills per tank.

Hope this helps.

Well I think thats most of my questions answered for now anyway. Thats a lot of information and thanks for taking the time.It will all help towards my eventual purchase. One thing you mention there about a regulator, I've seen it advertised on the Daystate Mk4 but I don't really understand what it's purpose is. Is it worth the extra? No doubt it will be extra (on the AirArms Bullpup I mean).
    Thanks a lot so far.

Well I think thats most of my questions answered for now anyway. Thats a lot of information and thanks for taking the time.It will all help towards my eventual purchase. One thing you mention there about a regulator, I've seen it advertised on the Daystate Mk4 but I don't really understand what it's purpose is. Is it worth the extra? No doubt it will be extra (on the AirArms Bullpup I mean).
    Thanks a lot so far.

You can fit a regulator to most rifles and they are pretty inexpensive to be honest. Just something to keep in mind. It does give consistency but it isn't the end of the world.

As far as bullpup rifles go, the majority of them are unfortunately on restricted list by their design.

Thanks a lot so far.

A regulator will give a flatter power curve which essentially means a consistent ft lb over the fill of the gun and more importantly a more consistent point of impact of the pellet. It should also give more shots per fill.
    Here is the power curve for my AAS510. As you can see its not pretty flat.
    AAS510%20Power%20curve_zpszqfmnbev.png

Its relatively flat between the two red lines so these 25-30 shots should be pretty consistent. the poi will be slightly different either side especially to the right and at longer distances. If I were to add a regulator the curve should look something like this.

AA%20Regulated_zpsvehnpb2e.png

With my AA S510 as the pressure changes so does the point of impact (slightly) Its just another variable to consider when attempting a longer shot.
    Its not an issue up to 40m, which is my typical second zero point (18m being the first) but at 70m it becommes more critical.
    You can add an aftermarket regulator but one needs to know what they are doing to attempt this.
    I am waiting to see if any Irish dealers will bring in the new Air Arms bullpup. Being a bullpup, it will require a restricted licence but hopefully it will be possible to get them here.
    Have a look at AirArms Hunting SA youtube channel. He has a world of information on airguns.

does anyone fit regulators to air rifles in ireland

A regulator will give a flatter power curve which essentially means a consistent ft lb over the fill of the gun and more importantly a more consistent point of impact of the pellet. It should also give more shots per fill.
    Here is the power curve for my AAS510. As you can see its not pretty flat.
    AAS510%20Power%20curve_zpszqfmnbev.png

Its relatively flat between the two red lines so these 25-30 shots should be pretty consistent. the poi will be slightly different either side especially to the right and at longer distances. If I were to add a regulator the curve should look something like this.

AA%20Regulated_zpsvehnpb2e.png

With my AA S510 as the pressure changes so does the point of impact (slightly) Its just another variable to consider when attempting a longer shot.
    Its not an issue up to 40m, which is my typical second zero point (18m being the first) but at 70m it becommes more critical.
    You can add an aftermarket regulator but one needs to know what they are doing to attempt this.
    I am waiting to see if any Irish dealers will bring in the new Air Arms bullpup. Being a bullpup, it will require a restricted licence but hopefully it will be possible to get them here.
    Have a look at AirArms Hunting SA youtube channel. He has a world of information on airguns.

WelI I can't ask for any more than that.That really explains it completely.A regulater might eventually be an after market project for the future.First things first, as I said I hope to invest in the PCP probably next year and see how I get on. I much appreciate all the helpful info before hand, from yourself and all the other lads.Meanwhile I'll carry on with my Springer (HW97KT).
    Thanks again.

WelI I can't ask for any more than that.That really explains it completely.A regulater might eventually be an after market project for the future.First things first, as I said I hope to invest in the PCP probably next year and see how I get on. I much appreciate all the helpful info before hand, from yourself and all the other lads.Meanwhile I'll carry on with my Springer (HW97KT).
    Thanks again.

No problem.
    There are so many great PCP out there, which is a bad thing as it makes choosing one very hard.....:)
    Daystate have released a new one under the Brocock name, the compatto.
    The stats look impressive - 30ft-lbs with 40-45shots. Its unregulated but it has the harper slingshot system which gives very consistent performance.
    Its priced about £500 stg. This may be another option.
    It looks pretty nice also. Might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

does anyone fit regulators to air rifles in ireland

My BSA Super 10 has a factory regulator

how many shots per fill and what power can you get as i was thinking of changing my aa s410sl for a bsa super 10
    or a r10.

• Advertisement

how many shots per fill and what power can you get as i was thinking of changing my aa s410sl for a bsa super 10
    or a r10.

I get about 45/50 shots per fill, set at about 27 ft/lbs. (standard 200cc buddy bottle) It can be set higher, but shot count suffers, a 400cc buddy bottle is available too.
    26ft/lbs is plenty for rabbits at 70 yards, the accuracy is amazing, though i find it a tad heavy for standing shots

ligertigon wrote: »
    I get about 45/50 shots per fill, set at about 27 ft/lbs. (standard 200cc buddy bottle) It can be set higher, but shot count suffers, a 400cc buddy bottle is available too.
    26ft/lbs is plenty for rabbits at 70 yards, the accuracy is amazing, though i find it a tad heavy for standing shots

I've shouldered one of these, the stock is incredibly comfortable - in particular the shape and height of the cheek piece.
    I didn't like the magazine system tho but im' probably used to the Air Arms system which is excellent in my opinion.
    Having a factory fitted regulator is a big advantage.
    Is this standard or an optional extra?

I've shouldered one of these, the stock is incredibly comfortable - in particular the shape and height of the cheek piece.
    I didn't like the magazine system tho but im' probably used to the Air Arms system which is excellent in my opinion.
    Having a factory fitted regulator is a big advantage.
    Is this standard or an optional extra?

Standard.
    In fact the only difference between the S10 and the newer R10 apart from aestetics , is that the R10 has a pressure guage and quickfill adaptor. These can be retro fitted to the super 10.
    I have never had a problem with the magazine, and I can almost put hole in hole at 30 yards and that trigger is the most amazing part of it, 2 stage fully adjustable for both weight and distance.

Advertisement