Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai proposals to ban firearms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/2014.WG.Report.pdf/Files/2014.WG.Report.pdf

Department of Justice and Equality /
    An Garda Síochána
    Working Group on Review of Firearms
    Licensing November 2014

It s time to get political!!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

The report refers to the Garda Commissioner as "he" in several places.

"he" didn't exactly leave in a blaze of glory.

The whole proposal seems to hinge on holders of certain firearms being a concern to public safety.

I don't see anything about compensation for private property, but it does mention surrender of firearms to Gardaí.

Haven't read the full thing yet, but smack very much of divide and conquer.

Sorry to harp on, but the whole following section says to me:

"We hoped the 1800 handgun owners would give them up, but since 1076 + 590 handguns are still licensed, that didn't work, so we need this new legislation we reserved for ourselves in 2009"

During 2012 and 2013, the Gardaí have reported to DOJE on public safety
    concerns connected to certain firearms. In the initial report of the Garda
    Commissioner, recommendations were put forward in relation to short
    firearms. In this report, reference is made to the then Minister for Justice in
    November 2008 proposing that he will “keep under review….the outcome of
    the licensing procedure and, if the outcome of that procedure leaves a
    situation which still poses an unacceptable risk to the community, will use new
    powers which the Bill will contain to ban outright any type of firearm”.
    Following on from the commitment made in 2008, the Criminal Justice
    (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 Act included Section 27, inserting a new
    Section 2C into the 1925 Act. This provided that the Minister may, in the
    interests of public safety and security, by order declare specified firearms to
    be prohibited.
    The Garda Commissioner has recommended to the Secretary General of the
    Department a prohibition on the licensing of certain handguns. An Garda
    Síochána have also recommended in the interests of public safety that semiautomatic
    centre-fire rifles and semi-automatic shotguns (capable of holding
    more than 3 rounds) are firearms that should no longer be licensable in the
    State.
    Statistical information from An Garda Síochána states that as of the 28th of
    March 2014 the total number of non restricted handguns licensed was 1,076
    and the total number of restricted handguns licensed was 590.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

yeah I heard on the radio this evening some working group has come out with a recommendation to ban handuns and only allow specicly Olympic pistols. Also under attack are semi auto shotties, semi auto rifles.

I reckon there's something for everyone there and those who foolishly thought the problems were only going to remain on the pistol side are shown for naivety and self interest.
    So I think that adequately explains missing Annex etc. remember, if they change something in Ireland it's
    a) bad
    b) going to cost you money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ouch :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

Wow. I'm just after reading the Draft head 4 & 5 notes. This is absolutely shocking. These Drafts essentially ban centerfires once their current renewal cycle is up. .22 pistols that arn't on a new "White list". Explains why the old one was removed... Also stats that a process would be in place to allow people to make additions to the list. Bans renewal of semi auto centre fire rifles + shotguns manufactured to hold more than 3 round. Not to mention that their is proposals in there for blanket bans. I'm only a couple of years in the sport now and this is really disheartening for the future of the sport :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just got my own .22 pistol licence recently too, probably one of the last ever issued here:pac: I'll enjoy it while I have it anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I actually did my best to read it all and it's not good reading for us.

Apart from the proposed bans, some of the other stuff in it makes things even more murky than before.

An individual Super can refuse a licence based on the crime in their district and on the amount of licences issued. They use the word 'proliferation'. Crazy stuff.

That'll lead to an even greater postcode lottery than at present.

If the Gardai get this through, it will decimate pistol shooting.

yeah I heard on the radio this evening some working group has come out with a recommendation to ban handuns and only allow specicly Olympic pistols. Also under attack are semi auto shotties, semi auto rifles.

I reckon there's something for everyone there and those who foolishly thought the problems were only going to remain on the pistol side are shown for naivety and self interest.
    So I think that adequately explains missing Annex etc. remember, if they change something in Ireland it's
    a) bad
    b) going to cost you money

We really have to stick together on this one.

These are only recommendations.

Some of the recommendations are put there to provoke concern and be repealed - e.g. every semi/pump shotgun is mentioned - they are hoping to divide shooters.

See a lot of stuff in the report that's been in thejournal.ie and other media recently - followed by radio reports today.

The sophisticated media management tells me there is political will behind this.

Fulminating, spewing brimstone, claiming victimhood will not work here.

Reasoned argument only, please - even if it's not fully-formed.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    We really have to stick together on this one.

These are only recommendations.

Some of the recommendations are put there to provoke concern and be repealed - e.g. every semi/pump shotgun is mentioned - they are hoping to divide shooters.

See a lot of stuff in the report that's been in thejournal.ie and other media recently - followed by radio reports today.

The sophisticated media management tells me there is political will behind this.

Fulminating, spewing brimstone, claiming victimhood will not work here.

Reasoned argument only, please - even if it's not fully-formed.
    Well, yes these are the recommendations, the point being most likely to settle for less restrictive regs at some point. Inevitably the point of this exercise is to make it more restrictive for as many groups as possible this time. Further restrictions will be brought in at a later date, it makes sense to me.

So yeah either we all stick together and defend our legitimate shooting interests or we will all get caught in the long grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So how do we tackle this maturely?

No point in whining, bitching or shouting n pointing out that firearms in the hands of criminals is a failure of AGS, nothing to do with private ownership. Or that an under pressure force is deflecting on to us.

If there are concerns over crime stats we need to objectively point out examples of how there is no causation between private ownership and our murder rates. Hand gun ownership per capita in Northern Ireland is similar if not higher to here I imagine, are the hand gun murder rates the same?

What about the UK, these firearms are banned there, I'm guessing there are still gangland murders with handguns?

Vegeta, just been reading the Mansfield judgement and it seems that many answers RE: public safety etc are addressed in these documents.

What worries me more is that we won't be afforded a voice in this debate - they've stolen a march on us already; the sophisticated media management machine is under full steam.

We need an organised, coherent and penetrating argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just when I thought thing were getting better with appeals being granted they come out with this. This is bad news.

This "designed for olympic competition" ruse is a joke. Its like telling someone with an interest in cycling they can only use an ultra expensive olympic standard bicycle.

As if every shooter has and should have an interest and ultimate goal in being an olympic competitor. Utter nonsense.

Vegeta wrote: »
    So how do we tackle this maturely?

What about the UK, these firearms are banned there, I'm guessing there are still gangland murders with handguns?

I believe there is an explosion of knife crime over there.

Heckler wrote: »
    Just when I thought thing were getting better with appeals being granted they come out with this. This is bad news.

This "designed for olympic competition" ruse is a joke. Its like telling someone with an interest in cycling they can only use an ultra expensive olympic standard bicycle.

As if every shooter has and should have an interest and ultimate goal in being an olympic competitor. Utter nonsense.
    How many people are dying being injured thru participating in cycling vs those in legitimate shooting sports? Not an attack on cyclists, it's a healthy sport I recently started to enjoy again, but lets come out from the shadows and compare our sport to others. We shouldn't be shunned because there is potential danger in our sport, every active sport from walking/hillwalking to motor racing and flying has a danger element. Responsible sporting use, by responsible sportsmen should not be attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

NASRPC building bridges as always. This is definitely the time to get in a cheap shot.
    NASRPC has been aware of this review for some time, despite ongoing misinformation via other groups.

http://www.nasrpc.ie/hot-news-1/gardadojrecommendations

We shouldn't be shunned because there is potential danger in our sport, every active sport from walking/hillwalking to motor racing and flying has a danger element. Responsible sporting use, by responsible sportsmen should not be attacked.

You've hit something there.

We need to identify ourselves as PART of the public.

This is where we start IMHO and build everything from there.

Blay wrote: »
    NASRPC building bridges as always. This is definitely the time to get in a cheap shot.

http://www.nasrpc.ie/hot-news-1/gardadojrecommendations

I'm going to shut up for a while after this;

The report says it met with (names all/practically all) shooting organisations, but that said organisations were not informed of the proposals/recommendations at the time.

Says shooting organisations made observations RE: 2009 Act and implementation.

Not a member of any shooting organisation/club, myself.

Just reading thru some of the other countries laws specifically Germany.I really love the way they have reduced Germanys gun law down to a half page and then concentrated on "assault weapons" [yet again...In fact this whole description is UTTER BULLSHT! The fact is that semi auto rifles are the fastest ,still growing sales niche in the German gun industry.They dont mention the hunting lisvense and the fact you can own unlimited long guns or what you need to do to become a sports shooter.

Well, at least they have now nailed their colours firmly to their mast and have stated in writing in this that we the people are NOT TO BE TRUSTED and are considerd a public danger to the state and AGS. This is what our current and previous govts have thought of us..WE, not the criminals or subversives are the danger....Nice to know.

What to do..Well ,much as I feared the time has now come to become political on this matter.We need to bury amongst ourselves ALL petty differences,we are now gunowners first,whatever disiplines second.There is NO MORE excuses or time for the "Fk you I'm alright Jack.I've got my double barrel and bolt action so they wont touch me."
    READ the bit about the Supers being given power to decide on your liscense by how much crime is in your district on that idea.You could be living in the best area of Dublin and a spate of break ins could suddenly give your super a reason to refuse your Purdiys liscense due to the "high crime" in your area.

We need to be lobbying our TDs and ministers and encourage them to attend the breifing in Buswellls hotel on Nov 20th in Dublin.[Literally a week away].
    In short they need to be told if this goes thru it will have devastating consequences for shooting in Ireland and for any of their election hopes come 2016 or sooner. Would suggest also that we see about starting the "Email blizzard" that we used once before so successfully here on boards when there was an increase on fees on the way many years ago.

JUST IN
    The NARGC email on this. stating pretty much the same thing I said about lobbying your TDs especially FG !!!
    We now have a WAR on our hands people...Want to keep your sport...Get off your Ass and fight for it!!
    Grizzly 45.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Well, at least they have now nailed their colours firmly to their mast and have stated in writing in this that we the people are NOT TO BE TRUSTED and are considerd a public danger to the state and AGS. This is what our current and previous govts have thought of us..WE, not the criminals or subversives are the danger....Nice to know.

Grizzly, I luv ya!

That's exactly how we identify ourselves as PART of the public.

(AGS/DoJ say we are a danger to the public a la Breivik - we say big brother does not trust the public - the simple ones are the ones that get the message through. now keep repeating it).

I'm definitely shutting up now. someone else's turn.

Ya did it Griz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

Hey Sparks ? Cass

Your gone very quiet ? can we replay your comments now ?

Did the NASRPC and the NARGC not send out notification that this was happening up to about 10 months ago ?

Did we not say Pistols/Semi CF rifles and Shotguns over 3 rounds were up for the chop? were we correct ?

Did you not tell us bold children to be quiet that we were scaring everyone ? were we right ?

I look forward to reading the apology.

Scalachi wrote: »
    Hey Sparks ? Cass

Your gone very quiet ? can we replay your comments now ?

Did the NASRPC and the NARGC not send out notification that this was happening up to about 10 months ago ?

Did we not say Pistols/Semi CF rifles and Shotguns over 3 rounds were up for the chop? were we correct ?

Did you not tell us bold children to be quiet that we were scaring everyone ? were we right ?

This kind of thing does no-one any good, lad.

We are in a fight, now. And we are in it together.

I know it's a stupid platitude, but together, we are stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

yubabill1 wrote: »
    This kind of thing does no-one any good, lad.

We are in a fight, now. And we are in it together.

I know it's a stupid platitude, but together, we are stronger.
    ill second that,
    i think the " i told you so" line just shows imaturity

PLUS one...Thousand!!!! FFS lets can the "He said,they said,you said !" BS for ONCE on an individual and organisational and national level!! We have a common enemy and they are coming for us.They rely on this typical Irish "divide and conquer" and infighting to be able to roll over us easily enough.Chop each other up when this is over for all we care...But not now!

Can't wait for tomorrow's papers - seemingly the whole thing is under discussion; funny, I read somewhere in the report tonight that they had NOT informed the shooting organisations of today's proposals.

nice picture of a revolver...

http://www.thejournal.ie/gun-control-restrictions-1779301-Nov2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

guys if our representative groups draft a letter that we can individually sent to our local representatives, we will all be signing of the same hymn sheet, a united front weather your a game shooter or a target shooter, my idea anyway. Better than one guy deciding to right a letter in Cork and 2 guys in Donegal and 10 guys in Dublin all picking up of what they don't like about the proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Scalachi wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing the documents you said you'd seen but couldn't show us because Reasons.

Bit of a shame the AGS got to do this in a quiet end run, isn't it. I mean, there they were, having to come to the same table as us in the FCP, and then someone figured if they walked away and scuppered it we'd be better off and in the process, they untied the hands of the few in the AGS that didn't like us. You'd almost say they got played. And now, right as the government is staring at dissolution over the water charges, a dozen things suddenly get thrown at the media, and we're one of them (And we're almost an afterthought, again)

This is what happens when you're outside the tent.

What happens next is one of two things:
    • We all as individuals start yelling at our TDs the way we did over the licence fee hike while all the NGBs (starting with the most important, the IFA) start talking to the Minister. Or, and I think this is the more likely one because the FCP scuppering debacle burnt out a lot of good people:
    • We all yell at each other, nobody talks to their TDs on a grassroots level because this affects 0.5% or so of licencees, a few NGBs I can think of try to pull a fast one with "idea papers" sent to the PTB without telling anyone else, one or two of the obviously ablative bits in there don't go through but the rest does and the ratchet comes down a little tighter.

Twenty years ago, I'd have been sure the first of those two would be what would happen.
    Today, the last twenty years is telling me the second is far more likely.
    It'd be very nice to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wadi14 wrote: »
    guys if our representative groups draft a letter that we can individually sent to our local representatives, we will all be signing of the same hymn sheet, a united front weather your a game shooter or a target shooter, my idea anyway. Better than one guy deciding to right a letter in Cork and 2 guys in Donegal and 10 guys in Dublin all picking up of what they don't like about the proposals.

The opposite is true, says the only time we ever managed to do this. Large numbers showing up everywhere when an election was in the offing is about the only thing that ever managed to do this. Every time we wait for all the NGBs to do the legwork, things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

First off.............. SIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!!

When I first read the Commissioners Guidelines my heart dropped, and now having read the Firearms Policy Review, quite frankly, I cannot begin to describe how disheartening it was.

I truly believe that no amount of lobbying, emailing or disquiet will get us as a collective anywhere, AGS have decided that, on foot of the flood of HC decisions, they don't want firearms licensed in the ROI

IMHO, through the legislature, first they will revoke CF Pistol licences and ban them.... Ban "high capacity" shotguns, .22lr Pistols and Semi-Auto CF rifles....
    Then through the mechanism of discretion refuse licenses and renewals based on rising crime levels

I have previously licensed 3 firearms, but unfortunately had to forgo my sport for a few years. I finally reached a position where I could take it up again, I will be purchasing a shotgun in the coming weeks, with a view to picking up a CF rifle for foxing and eventually a CF for Deer, this was my hope, one I'm beginning to think I will never realise as imo I am being "criminalised" before ever having broken a law.

I don't believe that the pettiness I have seen in the various interest groups will be put aside, even on foot of the publication of these two new documents, and somebody(pistol owners) will be thrown under the bus, if and I mean IF, the shooting bodies are actually consulted about this policy review....

And that will be the first group that will be sacrificed as ever infringing measures are introduced by AGS/DOJ to counteract the one and only truth, AGS/DOJ are powerless to prevent Unlawful acts committed by criminals in this country, plain and simple, they have gone for the soft target, the ones that make headlines and make up for the fact that there is a spiralling gangland problem in this country that they, through under resourcing AGS are powerless to counteract!!

As a soon to be member of the shooting community I would call upon the governing bodies of all disciplines, IF THERE ARE ANY ON THIS BOARD TO PLEASE READ THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH CAREFULLY,

Do not act in your own interests, act in the interest of every firearm owner, every aspiring hunter and target shooter across all disciplines, whether for recreation or competition. This is quite simply an attack by AGS on firearms owners AS A WHOLE, this is no time for parish pump politics.

I feel the above post may have been a waste of time I really and truly hope it was not.

**has anyone got a link so the emailing can begin? for respective TDs? Can questions be put forward by us, ordinary firearms owners through TDs?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    • We all as individuals start yelling at our TDs the way we did over the licence fee hike while all the NGBs (starting with the most important, the IFA) start talking to the Minister. Or, and I think this is the more likely one because the FCP scuppering debacle burnt out a lot of good people:

Anyone with semi/pump manufactured to hold more than 3 rounds is going to have to pay to get the mag permanently restricted.

They mat then be at the loss of their modified property without compensation if the Super decides a modified mag is not acceptable on renewal.

There's a few thousand potential lobbyists to get started with.

Advertisement