Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airlink express 747

• 02-01-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Just sitting on the bus thinking its not very 'express'. Anyone else agree there's a bit of false advertising :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

dont agree- its quick once you get past oconnell street

new 757 can be better for southside

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

There are far too many stops between 3 Arena and O'Connell Street, very slow service now if you are going all the way to Heuston (like me)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Because of the extra stops depending on the time of day Aircoach can be quicker even though it doesn't use the port tunnel but other times the 747 is still quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What is the alternative, cheaper DB bus to get into the city centre from T1?

What is the alternative, cheaper DB bus to get into the city centre from T1?

Aircoach 700 - same price as Airlink to the CC (Express)
    Dublin Bus 16/41 - Just a normal city bus service that stops everywhere though - standard DB fare structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

devnull wrote: »
    Aircoach 700 - same price as Airlink to the CC (Express)
    Dublin Bus 16/41 - Just a normal city bus service that stops everywhere though - standard DB fare structure.

Many thanks. Is the Leap Fare on the 747 bus the same price as one bought on a machine?

€7 is the fare now, it went up in recently but is €6 if you buy online.

Not sure if they adjusted the ticket machine fare but assume that they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Getting from heuston station to the airport was definitely over an hour. This is too long imo. The only alternative is to pay a taxi driver 25 euro and get there in half an hour. Bloody disgrace really. Public transport in Ireland is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tubbs26

Its better to get the luas to busarus and then the 747 to the airport if travelling from Hueston. A much quicker trip then
    lufties wrote: »
    Getting from heuston station to the airport was definitely over an hour. This is too long imo. The only alternative is to pay a taxi driver 25 euro and get there in half an hour. Bloody disgrace really. Public transport in Ireland is shameful.

Even better is to get the Luas to the point and then wait at the stop there since both aircoach and airlink serve it for the same price. And jutt get the first one that turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Even better is to get the Luas to the point and then wait at the stop there since both aircoach and airlink serve it for the same price. And jutt get the first one that turns up.

Risky move as a lot of time, the airlink buses are overcrowded and won't stop for passengers at all at the later stops.

Airlink is generally ok if the journey is commencing from Heuston, as there is always a bus lined up ready to depart.
    However, the return leg from the airport is an absolute horror and there is never a bus "every 10 minutes" as they advertise. On average, it seems only three buses leave the airport every hour, and sometimes there can even be a 30 minute wait between each bus.
    They have become incredibly overcrowded due to large tour groups clogging them and the boarding process up and there needs to be separate buses serving each terminal only....one bus serving two terminals is just crazy.

Also agree about less stops being needed. Is there really a need for a stop on both North Wall Quay and the Convention Centre?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Anyone else think the inbound stop for the Point Depot is one of the most dangerous in the city? It may be close to the Gibson Hotel and the luas stop, but that is directly across 3 lanes of traffic travelling from the tunnel to the port and eastlink bridge. The nearest pedestrian crossing is back 150m up the road, so 300m diversion to just cross the road. Or if you are heading for the quays a 500m diversion if you don't want to brave running across the road at the eastlink roundabout. For an area with such a high % of HGVs it really is not on.

They should just move the stop to the quays, opposite the outbound stop. Either that or build a pedestrian crossing.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Risky move as a lot of time, the airlink buses are overcrowded and won't stop for passengers at all at the later stops.

You have the choice of the 702/703/747/757 from that stop and normally in my experience you will not be waiting long to find a airport bus of some description to have space.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I take the 747 a lot. I mean a lot. Outbound it is very often full after oconnell and routinely drives past people at stops after, particularly cathal brugha. some drivers stop letting people on once the luggage rack is full, some don't enforce this rule. some drivers do the loop de loop round busaras even when the bus is full, some don't. Inbound it is routinely full at T1 and the bus just drops off the screen at T2 to the consternation of tourists. Aircoach is much faster to and from City Centre particularly at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

You have the choice of the 702/703/747/757 from that stop and normally in my experience you will not be waiting long to find a airport bus of some description to have space.

Ah apologies, I thought that stop was just for airlink.

But in future, I think I will get the aircoach to O'Connell street from Dublin airport and hop on the tram to Heuston from there.....it would be much quicker than the so-called 747 express bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anyone else think the inbound stop for the Point Depot is one of the most dangerous in the city? It may be close to the Gibson Hotel and the luas stop, but that is directly across 3 lanes of traffic travelling from the tunnel to the port and eastlink bridge. The nearest pedestrian crossing is back 150m up the road, so 300m diversion to just cross the road. Or if you are heading for the quays a 500m diversion if you don't want to brave running across the road at the eastlink roundabout. For an area with such a high % of HGVs it really is not on.

They should just move the stop to the quays, opposite the outbound stop. Either that or build a pedestrian crossing.

I got a 747 from the airport to Point Village a few weeks ago and was thinking exactly the same thing. It was grand at 9:30PM but I'd not want to be crossing at peak hours.

Advertisement