Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night Storage Heaters

• 07-05-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

hi there,

hope it's the right forum.

Just moved into a house with night storage heaters and have a question.

The heaters in the kitchen and living room (Dimplex XLN) only have settings for input and output (no numbers) and are set by two tiny dials in the fuse box.

In the fuse box, there is one dial for "Day" with settings from -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, constant and one dial for "Night" with settings for -4, -2, 0, +2, +4.

We've asked the landlady, but she is not really sure how to use them.

Can anybody help me out with figuring out what exactly these numbers mean?

Thanks a mil!!

Gagalina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

gagalina wrote: »
    hi there,

The heaters in the kitchen and living room (Dimplex XLN) only have settings for input and output (no numbers) and are set by two tiny dials in the fuse box.

In the fuse box, there is one dial for "Day" with settings from -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, constant and one dial for "Night" with settings for -4, -2, 0, +2, +4.

Thanks a mil!!

Gagalina

Linked below, the instructions for using the dials on the Dimplex itself. It would appear that input controls how much heat you pump into the heater and output controls the rate at which you get it back out.

At a guess I'd say the fuse box dials are thermostat controls which can be set to give different temperatures as required. It'd be an unusual format but I can't think of what else it could be - especially in the light of a "constant" setting during the day.

It might be stating the obvious but the day/night settings on those dials will refer to the fact you have two ESB meters: a day (expensive) and a night (about half as expensive). Using electricity to heat on the day meter will be crucifyingly expensive.

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/assets/product_instructions/XLN_Operating_Instructions-Issue_10_F48a_C71a.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gagalina wrote: »
    hi there,

Thanks a mil!!

Gagalina

AFAIK this is to start the storage heaters earlier or let them run later then the, 11pm-8am winter and 12am-9am summer, night rate times. You can also use it to reduce the time storage heaters are heating at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MindFast

Hi Gagalina,

What you have on the fuse board is called a Devi Reg.

You can find the manual here.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.devi.co.uk%2Fdownloads%2Fdevireg%2F08095671%2F&ei=ZCUxSrPFMoG9-AbXqtnoBQ&usg=AFQjCNGTB8VvDlI9uAelKr8UzaZPWBBfrg&sig2=LWwlXMpPCABDptXHcIsPUw

It has an advanced way of adjusting the heat charge so that you get the same comfort level regardless of the weather outside.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 purpose

Hi,

That link appears to be broken. Do you have another to obtain the information? Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

http://www.devi.co.uk/downloads/devireg/

Just pick your make & model number from the above list.
    You shouldn't have to go near that controller in the fuseboard if it was set up right from the start

It does a comparison between the inside & outside temperature when the ESB clock calls the heating on & midnight & adjusts the amount of heat going into your heater based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Just wondering have you managed to sort out this problem? I'm living in an apartment with the same thing, having the same problem. It's not to do with the temperature as far as i can figure, because the time it comes on seems to be affected when you change them, not the temp, but at the same time can't seem to figure out what it is changing to when you twist the two day and night time things....Getting frustrated now

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

=2
    Just wondering have you managed to sort out this problem? I'm living in an apartment with the same thing, having the same problem. It's not to do with the temperature as far as i can figure, because the time it comes on seems to be affected when you change them, not the temp, but at the same time can't seem to figure out what it is changing to when you twist the two day and night time things....Getting frustrated now

Haven't used the heaters in a couple of months, so not sure if I remember correctly.
    The +2, +4 would indicate that the rads would take an extra 2 or 4 hours of electricity over the average.
    Moving out again soon, so the next house will have to be gas or oil heating - I can't stand those night storage things ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnnyBoy1983

I have Creda tsr18cw storage heaters and haven't a clue how to use them as I've had gas in all my old places.

I've had a look at a few different things and still can't seem to get it to work.

I have 2 switches on the wall beside the heater (none of which have led lights on them) one of these switches seems to switch on the fan heater - but only if I turn the input/output switch to 4.

I left the other switch on all last night and turned the input dial to 4 and the output one to 2 but when I got up this morning the place was still freezing - so eh guessing it didn't work???

I've read a couple of things about people having a green and red flashing light in their fuse box and that the red one should stop flashing and turn on permanently when the storage heating kicks in...ours doesn't seem to be doing this. We also have 2 little dials in the fuse box besides these lights for day and night that both point to zero.

We have an IMIT TA3 thermostat on our wall...no idea what this is for or if it relates to the storage heater...but I've fiddled with it and nothing seems to be happening.

Can somebody please tell me where I am going wrong, or how I get the heating to work, coz it's bleedin' freezin' in the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DarasBB

I'm in the middle of setting up our storage heaters.

In our place we have Devireg 710-2 control unit and Dimplex heaters all over the place.

In two bedrooms we have heaters with their own timers.
    dscf0585.jpg

One storage heater in the hall and living room with on/off swith in the wall just beside the heater.
    dscf0576.jpg

Second storage heater in the living room has two switches on/off beside and one of them has fuse as well.
    dscf0581u.jpg

Also that second storage heater has his own "booster" on the side wall.
    dscf0582j.jpg

When I switched on the button in the wall (the one with the fuse installed) the bulb inside the switch on the side of heater went red when ON.

A the moment this is the only working storage heater, as second heater in the living room and the one in the hall are still cold.

The gauges on the top of each heater are set up like presented on the pic. Input - 6 - for cold winter days (storing as much heat as possible). Output - 3 - for evening boost.
    dscf0586l.jpg

As mentioned on the beginning in the fuse box we do have Devireg control unit for storage heaters. As you can see on the pic there are only two gauges for Day and Night setup.
    dscf0584.jpg

At present GREEN LED stays on at all times, but RED LED flashes with a few seconds intervals )don't know the meaning right now.

One more control unit is placed on the wall in the hall, but in my opinion it's for the water heating ONLY.
    dscf0583c.jpg

At the moment I'm waiting for the storage heaters to "charge" at night, and I'll see what temperature in the apartment will be in the morning.

If any of these settings are wrong please let me (and others) know.

Thanks,
    DarasBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Very similar to mine DarasBB, excellent post and maybe stickied?

I never use the storage heaters, too damn expensive. I use Halogen heaters when I feel a bit chilly :)
    I just heard yesterday of friends of a friend who had the storage haters on every day for 2 months and the ESB bill was 700quid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

gurramok wrote: »
    Very similar to mine DarasBB, excellent post and maybe stickied?

I never use the storage heaters, too damn expensive. I use Halogen heaters when I feel a bit chilly :)
    I just heard yesterday of friends of a friend who had the storage haters on every day for 2 months and the ESB bill was 700quid!!

I pulled night storage heaters out as soon as I moved into my house. But the night meters a handy thing to retain: clothes washing, drying and dishwashing are all done at night for half price.

:)

Apartment in nice and warm again, folks.

JohnnyBoy1983, Try my settings - it's working!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Citygirl1

Hi. I also have two Dimplex storage heaters in my house, which incorporate both Night storage heaters, and convector heaters.

They've done the job for two Winters. However, over the last few days, I've noticed they were turning on much earlier than necessary, and absorbing electricity at the daytime rate, and then turning off after only a few hours.

I had never touched the controllers on the fusebox before, which had been set at 0 for both day and night so there was no change from previous periods.
    Yesterday evening, I moved the "Night" hand to +4, and on coming home at 7pm today I found the storage heaters were already running. I then changed to Night hand to -4. After this change, the heaters came on at 10.00pm, still too early, but turned off again around 11.15pm.

I think the timer must be damaged, and I'll need to call ESB. Does anyone know what section or who to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    I think the timer must be damaged, and I'll need to call ESB. Does anyone know what section or who to ask for?
    First, check the manual.

I imagine you will need to talk to an electrician, not the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

gurramok wrote: »
    . I use Halogen heaters when I feel a bit chilly :)

How are Halogen heaters compared to GFCH and electric heaters? I need a portable heater so I can heat one room without having to run around the house turning off radiators that aren't needed when only one person is in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gocha7

Hi

It seems i have the same problem like you , I have no idea what to do , how set up my heaters? Could you tell me please how did you fix your heaters?

thanks a lot
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi. I also have two Dimplex storage heaters in my house, which incorporate both Night storage heaters, and convector heaters.

They've done the job for two Winters. However, over the last few days, I've noticed they were turning on much earlier than necessary, and absorbing electricity at the daytime rate, and then turning off after only a few hours.

I had never touched the controllers on the fusebox before, which had been set at 0 for both day and night so there was no change from previous periods.
    Yesterday evening, I moved the "Night" hand to +4, and on coming home at 7pm today I found the storage heaters were already running. I then changed to Night hand to -4. After this change, the heaters came on at 10.00pm, still too early, but turned off again around 11.15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

How are Halogen heaters compared to GFCH and electric heaters? I need a portable heater so I can heat one room without having to run around the house turning off radiators that aren't needed when only one person is in!

Did you get a portable heater in the end? I think it's part of our lease that we cannot use a convector or oil heater in the apartment as it is not covered by our landlord's insurance?!

Just in case you did pick up a heater that was any good.. I'd be interested as we really only want to heat the sitting room most of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

DarasBB wrote: »
    Apartment in nice and warm again, folks.

JohnnyBoy1983, Try my settings - it's working!

Bump (she be cold again!)

DarasBB, quick question. Do you leave the red lit booster switch on the side of your heater turned on all the time? Does this button have any affect on the rest of the heaters? We have the very same set up as you, but only the one in the living room and bedroom give out heat, immediate heat, no storage.

matsy1 wrote: »
    Bump (she be cold again!)

DarasBB, quick question. Do you leave the red lit booster switch on the side of your heater turned on all the time? Does this button have any affect on the rest of the heaters? We have the very same set up as you, but only the one in the living room and bedroom give out heat, immediate heat, no storage.

No matsy1, red light switch on the side of the heater is giving an immediate boost only on this one heater. To turn on night storage heating you must turn on heaters by flipping switches on the walls beside each storage heater. You will know when they start to store the heat by the red lights above switches. If they are not flashing at night you should check fuse in the wall in the living room or timer set up in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

• Advertisement

DarasBB wrote: »
    No matsy1, red light switch on the side of the heater is giving an immediate boost only on this one heater. To turn on night storage heating you must turn on heaters by flipping switches on the walls beside each storage heater. You will know when they start to store the heat by the red lights above switches. If they are not flashing at night you should check fuse in the wall in the living room or timer set up in the hall.

Thanks DarasBB. There is something wrong with our sensor so we have to have that red booster switch on all day. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

DarasBB, i have that heater in our sitting room as well. dont have a notion how to use the hooerin thing. Gonna be heading off for a day or two, and with this weather would like to leave it on while im not there keep the place a bit warm.

Like everyone else i hate using them cause they cost waaaaay too much, how would i set that one to come on for little while in the evening. is that even possible? i read the manual things online but its a bit too much gibberish for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

matsy1 wrote: »
    Thanks DarasBB. There is something wrong with our sensor so we have to have that red booster switch on all day. :mad:
    Expect a very high electricity bill in the post if you're using the booster all day.

What sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

how would i set that one to come on for little while in the evening. is that even possible?

Depends what type you have, I understand most allow you to do this, but some (eg Dimplex Duoheat) don't and you just have let the heat go to waste in your empty house all day...

Hate these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

ours is a dimplex xmc724n, seems like i can only turn it on and leave it on at this stage. defo wont be doing that while im gone, ugh. whoever invented these things should be shot!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have pretty old storage heaters [10 to 15 years old] in my place, would anything be gained by replacing them with newer ones?

Just a random thing I always wondered..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seco

I have same problem as vAGGABOND - currently using old storage heaters on nightsaver rates. The age of current heaters is 25 - 30 years old. Indeed there is at least one even older than that but throws out huge heat. In bousing the internet, I saw reference to asbestos in older storage heaters. Is this true?
    Looking for any advice on type of efficient electric heaters for commercial premises - old offices with typical room sizes from 20 - 50m2 and typical installation costs.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deviregnewbie

Please, can anyone help me? I live in an apartment with overnight heating storage with devireg 710-2 control. It has day and night time dials with +2 +4...etc. on both. As I understand it, the day (green light) should always be on, but the red light should be on when it's storing up the heat. But for a few days now, I observe that the red light never lights up! But the green light is still on all day and night. Also, we rarely use the night storage heater in the living room. Last winter, it was grand. We would turn both switches on from 11:30 pm. and it would store up the heating that we need for the next day. But this winter, the night switch doesn't come on. We can only use the heater if you turn on the other switch. So we end up turning it on for the whole day if it's really cold. Could this have something to do with the devireg? Earlier this year, I experimented on it (not recommended), i tried to turn the dials to a different setting and that's probably why our heating now is f%*@-up!! The thing is, I don't remember what the original settings were!!! HELP!!!!!!!PLS!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Well, the thread has been idle for more than a year now, but as it seems many of us don't have a clear idea of how this Devireg 710-2 devices works, and I have found further manufacturer information, I consider worth giving the details to the forum in the hope they will be useful.

First things first, www.Google.com was kind enough to show me the URL to the official DeviReg 710-2 installation and operating instructions, which I have attached to this post. For those looking for a replacement part, go straight to the last page to get an address in Dublin 24 from where to start.

Next, the document clarifies a lot of things, at least theoretically. The first of them is the dials in the device for "day" and "night" (from -4 to +4) doesn't relate to "less heating hours" or "more heating hours", but indirectly. They are used to configure the comfort ambient temperatures for the day and for the night. So a -4 in the day dial would be "I'm ok during the day with a comfort temperature 4 ºC below the predefined one" (which the manual doesn't specify, but one can think it would be in the 20-22ºC range). Same for the "night" dial. According to this "room comfort temperature" AND the external temperature sensor the device seems to modulate the percentage of night tariff hours that it makes available to the storage heaters.

So, if the outdoor sensor meaures very low temperatures and the comfort temperature is set higher than usual, the DeviReg will enable the storage heaters circuit for the full period of night tariff. If outside temperatures are milder and the user configures a lower comfort temperature, the device may only enable power to the storage heaters during a couple of hours. It seems the system would take some trial and error before every part of the system (DeviReg, Input and Output on the storage heaters, etc.) is configured to adequate levels. Then, the external sensor should do its jobs adjusting the ouput to the changing outside temperature.

The other important thing to notice in the manual is the starting and ending times of the night electricity tariff seem to be sent over the power line from the power company, the DeviReg notices those signals, and automatically reconfigures itself if necessary (for example, when changing from "winter" to "summer"). So the DeviReg should know perfectly well when the night tariff begins and when it ends, and depending on the temperature configuration and external measured temperature it may decide to give power to the heaters way after the starting night period, and only up to some hours before the end of the night period.

Check the manual for the details and some suggestions on configuring and troubleshooting the device. The above is my (ignorant) interpretation on the literature, but I'm not really sure if it matches the reality I'm observing at my (rented) apartment. Because just after having the DeviReg fixed (a problem with the external sensor, it seems) I have kept and eye on it , and for example today and yesterday it switched to "night mode" just at 7 PM, and that is far from the official 11 PM when the nightsaver tariff seems to begin during winter time.

I'm not going to use the storage heating function much though, but will keep investigating just in case I need them, to check if the whole system is working according to specifications.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement