Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handyman in Your House - Insurance

Options
  • 12-02-2018 12:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct place so feel free to move.

Looking to get a few jobs done in the house. Most of the people we have contacted seem to be cash in hand type jobs (small jobs but I dont know how to do them).

Any idea how this affects insurance? I assume they wouldn't have any. What about personal injury, limited liability insurance etc>?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, they won't have insurance, and any injury they suffer on your premises could be charged against your insurance.

Any damage they may do to your property equally may make them personally liable, but good luck recouping that, so again you'll have to claim from your insurance.

In terms of the type of work they do and whether that will invalidate your insurance, the rough rule of thumb is that if it's something you shouldn't be doing, then a "handyman" shouldn't be doing it either.

So simple thing like installing a dishwasher, hanging shelves, hanging a TV, wiring up a network, hanging a door, all fine. Changing a ceiling light or adding sockets are things I would only do myself or pay a sparks to do, but again will be covered by your insurance.

Any work on gas systems, plumbing systems, larger electrical works or structural works on the house itself, will not be covered by your insurance unless carried out and certified by registered professionals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm looking for insulation board to be installed on the outside of a attic conversion and installed between the joists of a suspended wooden floor.

I could probably do it myself if I researched/bought the tools myself but looking for a better bang for buck option if a handyman is going to charge an hourly rate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

godtabh wrote:
    Any idea how this affects insurance? I assume they wouldn't have any. What about personal injury, limited liability insurance etc>?

I got called out to a house in Tallaght. They had a guy replacing an electric shower. He turned off the water for the shower but managed to drill into a different pipe. He packed up his tools saying that he'll be back in a minute. I was called out to stop and repair the leak. The homeowner had to claim off their own insurance for the damage caused.

Two weeks ago I screwed into an electric cable. I paid an electrician to replace the cable. It rarely happens but when it does a real tradesman will step up to the mark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any major works i’d a professional in (house has been re wired, new boiler in soon, roof currently been worked on) but i’m Looking at much smaller jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    ... looking for a better bang for buck option if a handyman is going to charge an hourly rate
    Much better to get a price for the job than pay an hourly rate. What's to stop him dragging it out for much longer than necessary.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    .. a real tradesman will step up to the mark.
    In my experience, the problem is that a real tradesmen aren't interested in smaller jobs which is perfectly understandable as there are more economies of scale in doing a larger job.

Try getting an electrician to install an extra socket, a plumber to put in an outside tap etc.

• Advertisement

Much better to get a price for the job than pay an hourly rate. What's to stop him dragging it out for much longer than necessary.

In my experience, the problem is that a real tradesmen aren't interested in smaller jobs which is perfectly understandable as there are more economies of scale in doing a larger job.

Try getting an electrician to install an extra socket, a plumber to put in an outside tap etc.

I've asked one lad to price the job. He is pricing it based on how long he take. Any job I'll get him to do is a lump sum job and I'll by the materials.

Thats the problem I am having.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    I've asked one lad to price the job. He is pricing it based on how long he take. Any job I'll get him to do is a lump sum job and I'll by the materials.

Thats the problem I am having.
    Ah fair enough. I thought you meant you wouldn't know the price until he finished.

(It might be cheaper and less hassle to let him supply the material if he can).

Ah fair enough. I thought you meant you wouldn't know the price until he finished.

(It might be cheaper and less hassle to let him supply the material if he can).

He did suggest that also but I may have some trade contacts to get trade prices

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Construction/homeowners_guidance.pdf

A good read, especially if you ask a fella doing work is he tax compliant or has insurance. You’d hear a penny drop and they have the stare...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure I agree. of I'm doing it day rate then its say 150 +vat but if I'm pricing it its probably going to be 200+vat.

obviously big jobs are preferable or atleast jobs that a multiple days. but some small jobs are great to fill in half days. I like them to a point. sometimes they do pay well

• Advertisement
Advertisement