Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkbytext ceasing in Irish Rail locations

• 05-02-2018 3:11pm

Dear parkbytext customer,

We wish to advise all Irish Rail customers that from the 28th February 2018, parkbytext will no longer be available in Irish Rail locations. The reason for this is because a new service provider (APCOA) has been awarded the contract in a recent
    tender process to manage the car parks and parking payments on behalf of Irish Rail.

We understand some of you may have some questions about this news, and so in preparation we have compiled answers to questions that you may have.

Cashless parking payments can be made as normal for February but longer sessions will cease to end in or around the 28th February 2018. All purchases will be valid to their transaction end date.

Parkbytext parking transaction beyond 28th February. Any customers (e.g. such as TaxSaver or annual pass holders) who have a valid parking transaction beyond 28/2/18, this transaction will still be valid. The new car park operators will be provided with these parking validity dates via Irish Rail. Customers will not be able to edit an Irish Rail parking transaction in the parkbytext system beyond the 28th February 2018. Further details on how to change these parking passes will be made available on www.apcoaconnect.ie prior to the 28th February.

Closing your parkbytext account. Perhaps our other parkbytext locations across the country suit you? You can view our locations here. If you wish to close your parkbytext account, you can request it once logged into your account online or through the app. Please see this blog post for instructions.

Account refunds. Account refunds will be processed as soon as possible. We are estimating that this may take up to a calendar month in some instances. For more details on service terms, conditions and charges click here.

If you have any questions, the parkbytext team is always on-hand to help by email or calling 0818 444 999.

The parkbytext Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

ParkbyText is ceasing in Irish Rail locations. I received this email today:

parkbytext Ceasing in Irish Rail Locations

Dear parkbytext customer,

We wish to advise all Irish Rail customers that from the 28th February 2018, parkbytext will no longer be available in Irish Rail locations. The reason for this is because a new service provider (APCOA) has been awarded the contract in a recent
    tender process to manage the car parks and parking payments on behalf of Irish Rail.

We understand some of you may have some questions about this news, and so in preparation we have compiled answers to questions that you may have.

Cashless parking payments can be made as normal for February but longer sessions will cease to end in or around the 28th February 2018. All purchases will be valid to their transaction end date.

Parkbytext parking transaction beyond 28th February. Any customers (e.g. such as TaxSaver or annual pass holders) who have a valid parking transaction beyond 28/2/18, this transaction will still be valid. The new car park operators will be provided with these parking validity dates via Irish Rail. Customers will not be able to edit an Irish Rail parking transaction in the parkbytext system beyond the 28th February 2018. Further details on how to change these parking passes will be made available on www.apcoaconnect.ie prior to the 28th February.

Closing your parkbytext account. Perhaps our other parkbytext locations across the country suit you? You can view our locations here. If you wish to close your parkbytext account, you can request it once logged into your account online or through the app. Please see this blog post for instructions.

Account refunds. Account refunds will be processed as soon as possible. We are estimating that this may take up to a calendar month in some instances. For more details on service terms, conditions and charges click here.

If you have any questions, the parkbytext team is always on-hand to help by email or calling 0818 444 999.

The parkbytext Team

I hope that the annual parking pass continues because the daily parking rates are outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Having one operator / enforcement makes sense, parkbyText much easier to deal with re Connolly issues than NCPS - when NCPS ticket machine malfunctions it's a total mess.
    APCOA charging €4.50 a day for Navan Road Parkway, but their app works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yet another "customer service" enhancement....they could of specified the new operator keep such a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Was charged a €1 convenience fee for using the app recently will the same apply to Irish rail carparks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yet another "customer service" enhancement....they could of specified the new operator keep such a service.

Indeed the Luas P+R is Apcoa also afaik and allows park by text.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ick, APCOA. Awful customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I really hope this doesn't result in an increase to my annual rail ticket :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've had no complaints about the parkbyText service. Always worked well. Even if the website looks like its from the early 90's. Worked fine, and always had good customer support. Bit disappointed they've lost the contract.

I would be surprised if this change means anything other than higher costs to the customers. Any dealings I've had with APCOA seem to be expensive.

Email today to asking customers to give permission via a form to transfer the details of existing parking passes. That's going to be messy for those that don't see the mail.

Yeah, hopefully it will transfer ok. is there an app for APCOA and how do you top up that?

Used to be handy the parkbytext if ran on the train and had no data/wifi you could still send a sms. (if you were using a station other then the one with your annual pass).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

beauf wrote: »
    Yeah, hopefully it will transfer ok. is there an app for APCOA and how do you top up that?

It's called APOCA Connect

Reviews look awful. It's an extra shame because the ParkByText app was just finally updated to something decent on Android :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

beauf wrote: »
    I've had no complaints about the parkbyText service. Always worked well. Even if the website looks like its from the early 90's. Worked fine, and always had good customer support. Bit disappointed they've lost the contract.

I would be surprised if this change means anything other than higher costs to the customers. Any dealings I've had with APCOA seem to be expensive.

I never received the email so only found out about this the other day after putting €20 into my parkbytext account - if I close my account will I get that money back? I know they have 'charges' but there not clear when I went to close my account through the app.

That being said I was very happy with the parkbytext service - never had any issues.This will hit them hard because it seems Irish Rail was their main business which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 iambeave

marvin80 wrote: »
    I never received the email so only found out about this the other day after putting €20 into my parkbytext account - if I close my account will I get that money back? I know they have 'charges' but there not clear when I went to close my account through the app.

That being said I was very happy with the parkbytext service - never had any issues.This will hit them hard because it seems Irish Rail was their main business which is a pity.

This happened me too today! Was told that if I close account the money will go into my account in 7-10 days.

iambeave wrote: »
    This happened me too today! Was told that if I close account the money will go into my account in 7-10 days.

I haven't received any money back yet - must contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

How did you get on Marvin? I'm in the same boat, never received an email.

One thing about parkbytext - they never answered the phone and there were frequent outages of their service. Hope apcoa is better in these respects.

I got a refund - took around 3 weeks from when I closed the account to the money landing in my account.

Parkbytext are decent replying on twitter if you need to contact them.

Parkbytext are advising that I need to terminate my account to get a refund and that there will be a termination fee 5.00 EUR + VAT.

Did anyone face this?

Was posted earlier in the thread.
    iambeave wrote: »

I'm asking about the 5 euro admin fee. I didn't see that mentioned previously.

• Advertisement

Ahh sorry. Might be one for the regulator. Sounds a bit unfair

Completely unfair. I'm going to go down the chargeback route I think.

Advertisement