Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinship-relationship to me

• 28-01-2018 8:06pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some time in the past I used some family tree program to save a file that gave the relationship I have with everyone else on the tree.

I have this text file still, but it needs updating and about 5 PC's later, I have no idea what was used to create it. Anyone know of a program that will do this please?
    A trial version will be fine as i only need to do this once for now and not again for a few more years.

I use Great family at the moment and this doesn't do what I need.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Possibly Familytreemaker. That business was acquired a couple of years ago by Mackiev and there has been a big upgrade to their programme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you have a tree on Ancestry, it does show this when you click on an individual.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If you have a tree on Ancestry, it does show this when you click on an individual.

I think that only works if you are the home person on the tree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You can change the home person though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Does it give my relationship to everyone on the tree in one text file?

• Advertisement

No, it shows on screen when you go into each person.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    No, it shows on screen when you go into each person.

The file I have lists everyone on the tree and their relationship to me. I used so many trial programs in the beginning that I can’t now remember how I did this. It might even have been a standalone program that worked off a GED file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Wearb wrote: »
    Does it give my relationship to everyone on the tree in one text file?

FTM does that for the home person (who also can be changed). It also shows the relationship between the home person and any individual in an open window. It has a relationship calculator that will allow the input of two individuals and then calculate their relationship. I don't know if the free version does all that, or even if there still is a free version since the Mackiev takeover.

FTM does that for the home person (who also can be changed). It also shows the relationship between the home person and any individual in an open window. It has a relationship calculator that will allow the input of two individuals and then calculate their relationship. I don't know if the free version does all that, or even if there still is a free version since the Mackiev takeover.

Thanks for that, its something to go on for now.

Advertisement