Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raves

• 07-01-2018 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭

What actually is a Rave? I think the school disco may have been the closest thing to a rave I've been too :D :pac: unless you count outdoor concerts!

I know everyone "hates" Maniac but that's what they played. I don't mind it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

That's fake rave.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

It very much depends who they're run by, I've been to some amazing ones over the years and met some really great friends as a result. It's not all gurning and glow sticks.... although that is part and parcel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lorelli! wrote: »
    What actually is a Rave? I think the school disco may have been the closest thing to a rave I've been too :D :pac: unless you count outdoor concerts!

Go find yourself one in a valley below a mountain and report back.

30b.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The OED suggests
    An all-night dance party, especially one at which techno, house, or other electronically synthesized music is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Events at which yokes are consumed in large quantities.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

That's fake rave.

I know! I said the closest thing! Is this real rave? :D :P

Spiral Tribe were great back in the day. English new age traveller types, did some good 'raves' up at the Hellfire club. Great music, best outdoors, feeling of unity, full on dancing, not posing but real dancing and seeing the sun come up.

I know! I said the closest thing! Is this real rave? :D :P

I'll not ever hear a bad word utterd against Buddy Holly. Can't decide myself if he was punk or rave. Amazing music. Still play his albums regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A rave is like power-washing a slatted house or pulling dead lambs from an ewe, only silly useless cnuts yoked out of their heads think it's fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

There hasn't been a rave in Ireland since the early 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sorta like the ballroom of romance, only more drugs.

There hasn't been a rave in Ireland since the early 90s

Mid 90's at the earliest. They were still going strong in out in Galway fields into 96/97.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

A rave is like power-washing a slatted house or pulling dead lambs from an ewe, only silly useless cnuts yoked out of their heads think it's fun.

While getting incoherent from drink and posting claptrap here is the height of fun, I suppose?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

What actually is a Rave?

A place where hippies gather to listen to the loading music for random 80s Spectrum games played at eardrum shattering levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

nullzero wrote: »
    Events at which yokes are consumed in large quantities.

Disgraceful carry on at them, We managed to get the raves near Thurles stopped they called them the flog on the bog. Scum from miles around used to converge on Thurles looking for directions to it till the residents and guards had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

While getting incoherent from drink and posting claptrap here is the height of fun, I suppose?

Anybody that comes here for fun would need their head examined.

mzungu wrote: »
    A place where hippies gather to listen to the loading music for random 80s Spectrum games played at eardrum shattering levels.

That sounds great :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Thich Nhat Hanh

I went to some great ones in late 90s and early 00s. Anyone go to the Creation ones in Devils Glen? Fantastic. Everyone on pills and happy. No smart phones or selfies. I remember once the Garda drove up and turned back because it just wasn’t worth the hassle. A lot of us stayed back to clean up after too. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The world was a happier place when that scene was happening

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A place where a couple hundred people get to feel the music as well as hear it, the standard greeting is "Got any yokes", nobody gives a crap about getting the shift yet you love everyone there, minding your clothes or makeup is forgotten about, there's more water consumed than leaks from Irish water pipes in 24 hrs and never any fighting amongst the "ravers".

When people say they regret not having fun when they were younger I think, not me. Some of the best times of my life were at night's like those. And I never had any yokes. Just didn't go that route.

• Advertisement

toptom wrote: »
    Disgraceful carry on at them, We managed to get the raves near Thurles stopped they called them the flog on the bog. Scum from miles around used to converge on Thurles looking for directions to it till the residents and guards had enough.

We actually used to call it The Looney Line. Twas unreal. Like Mad Max but far happier! There was no residents living near the place- if it's the same place, it was totally in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

What actually is a Rave?

Anything tweeted by the Donald.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Metroland in Waterford in the 90's were pure class and have many memories good and bad for me.

So what is an example of the music played?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

We actually used to call it The Looney Line. Twas unreal. Like Mad Max but far happier! There was no residents living near the place- if it's the same place, it was totally in the middle of nowhere.

A few miles past littleton towards Ballynonty On a quiet night the music travelled and lots of residents could hear it
    People were afraid of the unsavoury characters floating around trying to find the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

They used to be all the rave back in the 90’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Coming down was the worst thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I loved nights out in clubs like the Olympic, Sides and the Asylum.

I was never at any of the outdoor events.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mzungu wrote: »
    With others I may have helped organised a couple of "happenings" in my time way back in the day™ and M's take hits a bit close to the bone. :D Oh yeah and yippers for all. Dance/chew/hug/grind.

Naughty, naughty.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Coming down was the worst thing

:D

First comment under it is gold:
    Lol 0:43 that black guy is my dad Lol he's a immigration lawyer in London now, **** wont even let me go to a bar without an argument haha I'm gonna show him this and kick his old ass

Advertisement