Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overflow from water tank leaking

• 13-04-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

I noticed the other day that there was water dripping from the attic through a pipe outside. I believe this is the overflow pipe from the water tank in attic. The dripping seems to stop by itself but this never happened before so I'd like to resolve it. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Xcellor wrote: »
    I noticed the other day that there was water dripping from the attic through a pipe outside. I believe this is the overflow pipe from the water tank in attic. The dripping seems to stop by itself but this never happened before so I'd like to resolve it. Anyone know what could be the problem?

It can be a few things especially as its never happened before.

It could just be the ball cock sticking, over time this happens

It could be a second heating tank leaking into the first and there for causing the overflow

It most likely is the first,

How old is the house.

Sometimes they just stick, sometimes they get old and need replacing. Just get up and check there is no secondary heating tank flowing into the first if there is check both ball valves, move them up/down carefully. This should unstick them. If its still leaking, the washers need replacing although most plumbers just replace the lot. Its easier cheaper labour and ,more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

OK decided to buy a new ball + cock thing. While fitting it I decided to let the water run out of the tank. I obviously disconnected mains water while doing this.

The tank ran to nearly dry. I have now reconencted all fresh water pumping but when I turn on the cold water taps nothing...

So I think that its air blockages... How do I deal with this? The tank is still filling at the moment so I am hoping the pressure of teh water will force the air out but if not do I have to suck pipes! :S

Thanks.
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Connect a hose between the cold and hot tap. Open both taps. The water from the hot tap will fill into the cold tap and eventually release the airlock. Best to do it when the hot water supply has cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

danjo wrote: »
    Connect a hose between the cold and hot tap. Open both taps. The water from the hot tap will fill into the cold tap and eventually release the airlock. Best to do it when the hot water supply has cooled.

I think a plumber will advise you you have this the wrong way around, you use the cold mains to flush out airlocks normally

you fit a tube of the cold mains to the hot tap and turn on both. you can then fit a tube from the cold mains to the tank hot and do the same

I have found since I got a bathroom downstairs I just open the taps down and upstairs and this clears it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Thanks for your help.

I actually overfilled the water tank by allowing it to fill to the point where it was using the overflow pipe. then I saw teh bubbles start to come up from the pipes below. I opened the taps then and the water splurted then came good! No more dirty windows from the overflow splashing on them :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement