Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sryanonese: A brand new language

• 16-10-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I am happy to introduce my own language named after myself (and this is not any made up language by some random person though I am still working on it).

My site sryanonese.weebly.com (currently but should be sryanonese.com when I get it completed) will give all the details you will need whether it is verb conjugation, irregular verbs, grammar, vocabulary and even exercises for you to practice!

Sryanonese is a bit tricky sometimes because for example, for the Future Tense (Nontíot Luíc in Sryanonese), you use the pronoun, present tense of the irregular verb Tias (To turn) and the infinitive of the regular verb (so the verb stays the same). In Sryanonese, there is no specific syntax, you just have to learn off different sentences though there are some patterns you will recognise!

More tricky features about Sryanonese

*You use the verb Tias when you talk about your age (so you literally say I turn 13, 14 etc in Sryanonese) (Example: Uai tia sa tout - I turn 2)
    *There is no word for "Every" in Sryanonese so you must learn off different vocabulary for it. For example, to make things less confusing of what I mean

Every Tuesday - ouil Muire Literally "give Tuesday"
    Every month - míonta díoin Literally "month year"

*There are 23 irregular verbs
    *It is not allowed in Sryanonese to use mathematical symbols when doing Maths questions in the language. So for example, 2 X 3 = 6 (Sryanonese would be "Tout nír rudi = s'hout"). You might also notice when adding, subtracting, multiplying OR dividing numbers, you do not put in the "sa". However, for your answer, YOU DO.

There are plenty more tricky features and I gotta say it was a tricky language to make :p. It was a lot of hard work too :rolleyes:. It is not all hard and challenging, however, as some things such as the BESE DE TON WID - days of the week are very straight forward. See for example:

Monday - Luire
    Tuesday - Muire
    Wednesday - Chuire
    Thursday - Duire
    Friday - Auire
    Saturday - Suire
    Sunday - Druire

Another easy thing about the language is, there are no male OR female nouns - you just need to learn off a few rules for example words ending in 'íon' or 'e'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm gonna start posting one new topic each day to this thread!

Pronunciation in brackets

Uai - Me (ooee)
    Phai - You (fay)
    Rei - He (ray)
    Trei - She (tray)
    Lei - We (lay)
    Luie - You (plural) (louis / luis)
    Reie - They (masculine) (ray)
    Treie - They (feminine) (tray)

Pronunciation in brackets

Si-even - What (Sy-eevin)
    Si-eir - Who (Sy-air)
    Si-rie - Where (Sy-ree)
    Si-pol - When (Sipul)
    Si-neve - Why (Sy-niamh/neev)
    Si-ire - How (Sy-ire)

Si-ire í phai - How are you (sy-ire ee fay)
    Si-even nu ti reen - What is your name (sy-eevin new t reen)
    Si-rie í phai to - Where are you from (sy-ree ee fay toe)
    Si-pol rie phai diontar - When were you born (sipul ree fay deentar)
    Si-neve phai poutan - Why you ask (sy-niamh/neev fay pooton)
    Phai í resaix - Are you okay (fay ee res-ice)
    Phai í esuyp - Are you well (fay ee es-u-p)
    Si-even res phai míon toogias - What do you like to do (sy-eevin res fay mean toogias)
    Si-ire í phai tooglín - How are you doing (sy-ire ee fay toogleen)
    Si-ire nu hiesses - How is everything (sy-ire new he-s's)
    Si-ire ti lariess tyanoín phai - How's life been treating you (sy-ire t lar-e-s's tie a nine een fay)

Tip: When asking questions such as "Are you okay?" or "Are you well?", in Sryanonese, make sure you write the pronoun first and then "í' (are, as in question). However, when there is a question word such as "what" or "who", it always translates as the way it would in English.

Does the pronunciations help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

What is your aim with this language? How far are you expecting it to go?

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »

The aim of Sryanonese, like any language, is getting out into the world to be spoken. I don't expect to grow very popular like English, Spanish, French, Mandarin etc but I'm speaking it to all the people I know and they find it pretty easy compared to the languages they learn - largely due to what they have been taught so far :D:P. They won't be saying that when they get to the stage of words such as 'every' or 'a' which both have multiple translations - depending on the tense or the noun. How do you find the language so far? How I come up with new words for every word in the English language is like this:

1. I listen to a certain song
    2. I list the English words in it which I haven't translated yet into Sryanonese
    3. If any of the new words are verbs, I conjugate each into every tense - whether regular OR irregular.

Like, right now, I have done so far 9 out of 23 irregular verbs.

I am working right now on translating my friends' songs 'cause I have done my one. It is just a new language of communication - so nothing very special like. There are plenty of irregular translations in Sryanonese! - downfall to it, so if you learn it, you better get thinking!

I honestly wish you the best, I love languages! I'm currently in the process of learning another two at the moment, so I wouldn't have any time for Syranonese.

• Advertisement

I honestly wish you the best, I love languages! I'm currently in the process of learning another two at the moment, so I wouldn't have any time for Syranonese.

Thank you. It is hard work, that's all I can say! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

You say there is no syntax and you have to learn off sentences. How will people be able to explain novel ideas if there are no syntax rules? You couldn't only have learnt phrases...

Roselm wrote: »
    You say there is no syntax and you have to learn off sentences. How will people be able to explain novel ideas if there are no syntax rules? You couldn't only have learnt phrases...

No there is no specific syntax but an average sentence would be something like:

pronoun - verb (conjugated) - noun - article - adjective

Example

Uai dest píotí líon pounta - I am a nice person - but literally, I am person a nice

If you keep checking out the updates each day, you will find Sryanonese much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Where are these friends of yours who speak it? Can you direct us to this Sryanonese gaeltacht?

feargale wrote: »
    Sryanonese gaeltacht?

Syranontacht* ;)

Really though, good question.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Where are these friends of yours who speak it? Can you direct us to this Sryanonese gaeltacht?

We're all in Dublin! But you don't have to move anywhere if you feel like learning the language - because this thread is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Has the potential to be the new Klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Get back to Mario Maker!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Get back to Mario Maker!

I am in Super Mario Maker? I am in the weather forum. I have so many jobs - I like being busy. Anyways.. :cool:

Sa nout - One
    Sa tout - Two
    Sa rudi - Three
    Sa puyter - Four
    S'nacy - Five
    S'hout - Six
    S'wipon - Seven
    Sa lerton - Eight
    S'quaoi - Nine
    Sa dramer - Ten
    S'hipon - Eleven
    S'eiste - Twelve
    Sa tern - Thirteen
    Sa bern - Fourteen
    S'quern - Fifteen
    Sa yern - Sixteen
    Sa tipon - Seventeen
    S'nerton - Eighteen
    S'caeri - Nineteen
    Sa ruity - Twenty
    Sa ruit-nout - Twenty one
    Sa ruit-tout - Twenty two
    Sa ruit-rudi - Twenty three
    Sa gnero - Thirty
    Sa gner-nout - Thirty one
    S'herta - Forty
    S'hert-nout - Forty one
    Sa xiere - Fifty
    S'eile - Sixty
    S'qipone - Seventy
    S'cothero - Eighty
    Sa mhuitopa - Ninety
    S'nertobine - One hundred

Tip: All ten digits from 20 onwards (20,30,40 etc) end on a vowel and to form numbers such as 21, 33, 46 etc, you take off the vowel and add the extra number.

For example of one that isn't there above,

70 = s'qipone
    71 = s'qipon-nout

Tias is one of the most used verbs in Sryanonese even though, you rarely use the verb "To turn" in English.
    It is an irregular verb so must be learnt off by heart.
    The verb is used when telling the direction OR age.

Past Tense:

Uai tura - I turned / I was (an age)
    Phai tura - You turned / You were (an age)
    Rei tura
    Trei tura
    Lei turaíon
    Luie turaín
    Reie turi
    Treie turi

Present Tense:

Uai tia - I turn / I am (an age)
    Phai tian
    Rei tian
    Trei tian
    Lei tion
    Luie tiev
    Reie tiane
    Treie tiane

Future Tense:

Uai tia coíp - I will turn / I will be (an age)
    Phai tian coíp
    Rei tian coíp
    Trei tian coíp
    Lei tion coíp
    Luie tiev coíp
    Reie tiane coíp
    Treie tiane coíp

So examples of sentences would include:

I am 20 = Uai tia sa ruity
    You are 6 = Phai tian s'hout

Here are some exercises to practice using the verb Tias to describe your age.

She is 1. _________________________.
    I am 6. ___________________________.
    You (pl.) are 4. ____________________.
    He is 9. __________________________.
    I am 7. ___________________________.
    Geraldine is 5. ____________________.
    Luke is 3. ________________________.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How about people make an effort to learn Irish instead.

seachto7 wrote: »
    How about people make an effort to learn Irish instead.

Because of how horrifically taught in school it is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

sryanbruen wrote: »
    *It is not allowed in Sryanonese to use mathematical symbols when doing Maths questions in the language. So for example, 2 X 3 = 6 (Sryanonese would be "Tout nír rudi = s'hout"). You might also notice when adding, subtracting, multiplying OR dividing numbers, you do not put in the "sa". However, for your answer, YOU DO.

The "=" sign is a mathematical symbol used for the following reason:
    to avoid the tedious repetition of these words: "is equal to"

• Advertisement

Because of how horrifically taught in school it is

It's not the teachers fault, they have to teach the syllabus.

Also, just because you don't like how its taught in schools, isn't a reason not to learn it and learn your language instead.

It's not the teachers fault, they have to teach the syllabus.

Also, just because you don't like how its taught in schools, isn't a reason not to learn it and learn your language instead.

I try my best to teach myself it and it is very hard and I am not blaming the teachers. In fact, I sent in a complaint to the Minister for Education.

Not as hard as your language..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There's a logical disconnect between the units and tens. You have a base ten maths system but the naming of the numbers isn't logical.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'd also add why are you starting a new language with irregular verbs. These exist for historical and evolving language purposes, but to include them just to emulate modern language seems strange. Esperanto for example has no irregular verbs.

I'd also add why are you starting a new language with irregular verbs. These exist for historical and evolving language purposes, but to include them just to emulate modern language seems strange. Esperanto for example has no irregular verbs.

'Cause it is my choice. You are really just saying that because you hate irregular verbs and wish all were regular - so things are easier. Well Sryanonese is not a particularly easy language and I never planned it to be an easy one.

Not as hard as your language..

The only reason you find it hard is because you are just starting off - like I found French originally hard at first, but now I find it extremely easy. Same with my language, I learn it everyday - so I myself can be fluent - and it is a tricky language - but I find it easier than Irish. Maybe I wouldn't find it easier than Irish if the curriculum wasn't so bad for Irish. Things I find tricky about the Sryanonese language compared to others:

*The use of the verb Tias (To turn) to describe your age - but this becomes easy once you practice.
    *Multiple translations for the words 'every' & 'a'.
    *Irregular verbal nouns (most are regular though)
    *Modal verbs (oh these will terrify you)
    *The superlative adjective (like Irish for the comparative, it has a special form of the adjective)

Whilst very easy things:

*Days of the week
    *Months of the year
    *Plurals
    *The modal verbs, "should", "could" and "would".
    *Telling the time (once ya know your numbers and Rei dest (It is)
    *Holidays

Example of an irregular verbal noun would be "skizzeín" - which means swimming. However, without the 'ín', it becomes street.

Example of a regular verbal noun would be "bioyín" - which means bowling. However, without the 'ín', it becomes the verb "to bowl".

Btw Caoimhgh1n, I thought you didn't have time (or didn't want to...) to learn Sryanonese?

The "=" sign is a mathematical symbol used for the following reason:

Oh sorry, I should have been more specific. Mathematical symbols, -, +, divide, x. Not symbols such as "=". That was my fault, sorry for confusing.

'Cause it is my choice. You are really just saying that because you hate irregular verbs and wish all were regular - so things are easier. Well Sryanonese is not a particularly easy language and I never planned it to be an easy one.

Fair enough, that's your choice. It just seems unnecessary. I understand why it exists in fictional languages (someone mention Klingon earlier) in order to emulate evolving languages, but not a new language you hope other people will learn and use. In this sense it discourages and makes learning more difficult.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, that's your choice. It just seems unnecessary. I understand why it exists in fictional languages (someone mention Klingon earlier) in order to emulate evolving languages, but not a new language you hope other people will learn and use. In this sense it discourages and makes learning more difficult.

Like any language, however, with or without irregular verbs, it is hard to learn once you don't practice using them. However, if ya do, it becomes much easier. Like I know, the verbs To be, to turn, to go, to play (all irregular) off by heart right now. Why? because I practiced using them.

Advertisement