Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyway, might give Clueless a watch this weekend.

Ah, the double whammy of a chick flick adapted from chick lit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Just watched Bombshell and my god I want to through something or someone through a window! What a ****ing cesspit of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Widows is a proper good heist film, doesn’t matter if it is chicks pulling off the heist, it’s not a girlie film like Hustlers, Mean Girls and Mama Mia.

Call it whatever you want, that film was absolutely God awful.

Only signed up for prime recently and watched all 6 seasons of Bosch... What a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

DrumSteve wrote: »

Only signed up for prime recently and watched all 6 seasons of Bosch... What a show.

agree - what a show... watched the first episode with the wife, she didn't like it that much so I binge watched it solo and also got hooked onto the music as well (have the full playlist on Spotify now)... suggested to the wife to give it another go - and she did and didn't stop till the end

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why are nearly all the movies geo-locked ?? :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

fryup wrote: »
    why are nearly all the movies geo-locked ?? :(

Are you on a UK account? I know there was a whole thing happened in January with Brexit and people had to change back to Irish accounts. There was lots of discussion abour it in the other General Amazon thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭amacca

DrumSteve wrote: »

Agree...I know it gets good reviews, critics seem to like it etc

And I still think.its criminally under rated :pac:

It's very well done imo.....and I too love the music like poster above...thing the opening credits sounds and looks fantastic

Are you on a UK account? I know there was a whole thing happened in January with Brexit and people had to change back to Irish accounts. There was lots of discussion abour it in the other General Amazon thread.

irish account,

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irish account,

It thinks your in the UK though. I had the same problem with an Irish amazon account. Try logging in to prime video through a web browser and see does it give you the option to choose your location on sign in, it did for me and when I set Ireland there everything was fine after that.

Debub wrote: »
    agree - what a show... watched the first episode with the wife, she didn't like it that much so I binge watched it solo and also got hooked onto the music as well (have the full playlist on Spotify now)... suggested to the wife to give it another go - and she did and didn't stop till the end

The music is incredible.

But I think the writing is just really good on it; its the sort of programme they could make 100 seasons of and I probably wouldn't get bored of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'm about 15 minutes into I Care a Lot with Rosamund Pike and it's making my blood boil.

What a horrible business to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We cancelled Netflix, and went with Amazon Prime Video (half price compared to Netflix) to give it a go, as there's some movies I've been wanting to watch.

Started off last night with '71 (2014) which tells the story of a British solider who gets separated from his platoon when helping the RUC on a raid in a Catholic part of Belfast.

It was an excellent film, with high tension throughout and some interesting characters peppered through. A strong UK & Irish cast, including Jack O'Connell (Skins), Paul Anderson (Peaky Blinders), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk, Chernobyl, Love/Hate), Killian Scott (Love/Hate). It kept me close to the edge of my seat, but for me, lacked something toward the end.

A solid watch and a comfortable 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Looking an action or adventure movie to watch this afternoon.

Loud and fun and not too serious. Smart or dumb doesn’t matter.

I spent must of last Saturday afternoon trying to decide.

irish account,

What device are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Looking an action or adventure movie to watch this afternoon.

Loud and fun and not too serious. Smart or dumb doesn’t matter.

I spent must of last Saturday afternoon trying to decide.

Demolition Man
    The Losers
    Both 48 Hours movies are there
    Pacific Rim
    Kong Skull Island

I think any of these would fit the bill if you haven't seen them, at least we know runtime won't be an issue ;)

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Demolition Man
    The Losers
    Both 48 Hours movies are there
    Pacific Rim
    Kong Skull Island

I think any of these would fit the bill if you haven't seen them, at least we know runtime won't be an issue ;)

I will watch them all one after the other just to show you :p

Seen them all though and watched the last two recently.

But Demolition Man is bang on the type of movie I am wanting. Any recommendations for something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I will watch them all one after the other just to show you :p

Seen them all though and watched the last two recently.

But Demolition Man is bang in the type of movie I am wanting. Any recommendations for something like that?

Looper
    Blade runner 2049
    Good heist movie is Den of Thieves. Not Sc-fi. But good pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Pen Rua wrote: »
    We cancelled Netflix, and went with Amazon Prime Video (half price compared to Netflix) to give it a go, as there's some movies I've been wanting to watch.

Started off last night with '71 (2014) which tells the story of a British solider who gets separated from his platoon when helping the RUC on a raid in a Catholic part of Belfast.

It was an excellent film, with high tension throughout and some interesting characters peppered through. A strong UK & Irish cast, including Jack O'Connell (Skins), Paul Anderson (Peaky Blinders), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk, Chernobyl, Love/Hate), Killian Scott (Love/Hate). It kept me close to the edge of my seat, but for me, lacked something toward the end.

A solid watch and a comfortable 7/10.

Keep the film reviews coming always appreciated! We have been trying the last few months to watch one every Saturday night and normally come to boards for recommendations.

Also which might not suit you but if get Eir broadband they give you Amazon Prime Video free for a year. Whatever they did on our order messed up so will have gotten it free for 18 months by time it is finished, will keep it on anyway. Have Netflix too but yeah it is pricey and definitely doesn't warrant the price difference that there is between both platforms..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Widows (2018) was up last night, a crime/thriller with a strong cast including Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki (Tenent), Liam Neeson and Colin Farrell. A group of widows band together after the death of their spouses to carry out the last planned heist their spouses had prepared. For me, the movie was very much two halves: the introduction to the characters, the premises, the set up for the first hour. That was slow. Hard to keep my attention, personally. The second half is the heist, no big spoiler there. This was well done and definitely more engaging than the first half. Both Davis & Debicki shone for me. Overall, for me it's a 7.5/10 on a totally arbitrary system...!
    bugsyb4 wrote: »
    Keep the film reviews coming always appreciated! We have been trying the last few months to watch one every Saturday night and normally come to boards for recommendations.

Also which might not suit you but if get Eir broadband they give you Amazon Prime Video free for a year. Whatever they did on our order messed up so will have gotten it free for 18 months by time it is finished, will keep it on anyway. Have Netflix too but yeah it is pricey and definitely doesn't warrant the price difference that there is between both platforms..

Sure, happy to share when I remember to. I've dropped a couple of posts like this in the Netflix thread too, some movies are on Prime too, I just happened to watch them on Netflix.

I had looked at Eir before but am put off by the horror stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

Anna Karenina (Knightley)
    The Bank Job (Statham)
    Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
    The Breakfast Club
    The Catcher Was a Spy
    Creed II
    Daddy's Home 2
    Death at a Funeral
    Detours
    The Dilemma
    Distorted
    Escape From Pretoria (Radcliffe)
    Everyone's Going to Die
    Ghostbusters II
    The Grey
    The Hatton Garden Job
    Ideal Home
    The Jane Austen Book Club
    Johnny English
    Johnny English Reborn
    The Joke Thief
    Kicking & Screaming
    The Last Samurai (Watanabe/Cruise)
    Lion (D.Patel/R.Mara/Kidman)
    The Lorax
    The Loss of a Teardrop Diamond
    Mind Games
    Once Upon a Time in Mexico
    The Patriot
    The Pursuit of Happyness
    The Ramen Girl (B.Murphy)
    Rogue (2020)
    Shooting Fish
    Smurfs: The Lost Village
    Stolen Miracle
    The Surprise (Original Title: De Surprise)
    Underworld
    Underworld Evolution
    Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
    Underworld: Awakening
    What's Cooking?
    The Witches (1990)
    White Chicks
    The Year of Getting to Know Us
    Yogi Bear

Above Suspicion (Season 1-2)
    The Slap

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)

21 Jump Street - 8/3
    22 Jump Street - 8/3
    About Time - 9/3
    300 - 13/3
    300: Rise of an Empire - 13/3
    The Princess Bride - 14/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

coming to america 2 added today
    the reviews are in
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/coming-2-america

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

peteeeed wrote: »
    coming to america 2 added today
    the reviews are in
    https://www.metacritic.com/movie/coming-2-america

I will give it a watch anyway but those reviews are not promising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭hold my beer

deisedude wrote: »

Movie reviewer on Moncrieff just slated it. Said it's a complete rehash and is awful.

well the original was pretty sh!te anyway, so no letdown then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is it as disappointing as the sequel to dumb and dumber?? At least Jim and Jeff had the sense to stay away from that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

sugarman wrote: »
    That was the prequel.

But you do release there was actually a sequel with Jim and Jeff a couple of years ago too, yeah?

Oh right, I was mixing up Dumb and Dumberer with Dumb and Dumber To. Seems Jim and Jeff were pretty dumb after all, and me to!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I enjoyed dumb and dumber to, I was expecting it to be awful but was pleasantly surprised. I won't be watching coming to America.

Bosch Spin off confirmed.

Titus welliver back, will focus on him and Money Chandler.

So I can only presume he leaves the police at the end of the last season in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

deisedude wrote: »

I made it 30 minutes in and turned off. God awful

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The terror is a fantastic series, both seasons available

My only complaint is that the very first scene of the first episode basically removes some of the suspense, i hate when shows/movies employ this technique

still, a great show.

Advertisement