Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would make this forum better?

• 22-02-2021 3:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Just introducing myself properly as I've recently been made mod of Tabletop & Board Gaming Arena. I'm hoping to make this forum somewhat better, both as a place to chat about tabletop games and their ilk, and as a resource for people just starting to learn about games.

First things first is to find out what everyone thinks of the forum, and how we can make it better. Either post here or PM me with any ideas you have.

CatInABox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hehe yeah it can be a bit ghost town-ish here. I think the likes of BGG and Facebook just have far larger communities than here. If had to make some suggestions:

-Could have an updated sticky from yourself with a title like "Gaming groups & regions" or something, and have the first post be a breakdown by region of people here who want to put their names forward (just post in the thread afterwards); so could have "Dublin and surrounds", "South East" South/South West" "North" "North East" "Midlands" and list of folks and their hometowns or games interested in under each sub heading. So lets say someone from Cork clicks in, goes "Uh ok these folks are in the region" and either a PM or a post somewhere to try setup a small group.
    -On that, could also add gaming groups in said regions to this list, either their Facebook or Meetup links. May have to make multiple posts at the start as the lists could spill over.
    -Make a links sticky of Irish stores and web stores, and then further afield for EU stores that sell English copies of games (as buying from the UK is now a minefield for shipping).

All I can think of for now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I was thinking much along the same lines, no point competing with the big boys for all board gaming, but there's no reason that we can't focus on Ireland and be helpful to people looking to buy Irish, play in Ireland, etc.

Thanks for the ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Gunmonkey makes some great points.

I keep an eye on this forum to see what's popular in Ireland and get some ideas for what my friends may enjoy. I also visit to keep an eye out for local bargains, such as boardgames on clearance in tesco for example.

A list of Irish resources would be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Gunmonkey makes the important points. I wonder how many of us are willing to play more regularly but dont have the people to play with. More games might mean more posting, especially if we have a few posters here who would be close enough to play together.
    If we got the number of regular posters we could possible do things like Math Trades as well, or organise tournaments and large meets about the country

Gunmonkey makes the important points. I wonder how many of us are willing to play more regularly but dont have the people to play with. More games might mean more posting, especially if we have a few posters here who would be close enough to play together.
    If we got the number of regular posters we could possible do things like Math Trades as well, or organise tournaments and large meets about the country

Oh thats me all over, even before the lockdowns :pac:

Yeah, the idea of larger meetups with a more structured element might be nice, been to a couple of pub Meetup groups and can be a bit "Err....so do people like games n stuff?". Really dependent on who could host or a agreeable pub within a decent radius of folks.

Buts that kinda a long ways off with the current kerfuffle; can expect 4 or 5 groups meeting in a pub and all sitting round a table, sharing out cards/dice/miniatures/boards as being fairly hard to do with even lessened restrictions. So guess it will be lockdowns over before any of this could kick off. Could still use the digital stuff like Tabletop Simulator/ Tabletopia/ Boardgame Arena or even just the digital versions of games that do the rounds.

As for stuff to keep convos ticking over, can kinda steal from Facebook groups Im in and have bi-weekly/monthly topics to drive some discussion or just have a simple post about. Something like a "Book of the Month" but with stuff like Favourite game, Game that got ya into the hobby, Most Excited for, How Many organs/How Much blood are you selling to fund your current Kickstarters....yknow, fun stuff like that :D
    With a timelimit, there might be more incentive for folks to post.

Also, to CatInABox...does this forum cover pen and paper RPGs too, or is that a seperate subforum?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some really good ideas already, I'll get started on that over the next week or so.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Also, to CatInABox...does this forum cover pen and paper RPGs too, or is that a seperate subforum?

RPGs are included in this forum, there's even a prefix for them while setting up a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Jayd0g wrote: »

A list of Irish resources would be very useful.

Grayprimer Put together this list of Irish stores and their Various products.

Online Retailer list

Might prove helpful in your efforts.

MarkHall wrote: »

Online Retailer list

Thanks! That spreadsheet is very comprehensive!

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Oh thats me all over, even before the lockdowns :pac:

Yeah, the idea of larger meetups with a more structured element might be nice, been to a couple of pub Meetup groups and can be a bit "Err....so do people like games n stuff?". Really dependent on who could host or a agreeable pub within a decent radius of folks.
    Well life before lockdown Dublin had a few options I used. Gamersworld being the go to arena.
    And I attemped to hit the Tuesday night at the Thomas house once a month even if it was just for a board or card game play.

Since lockdown my group have been using tabletop simulator for board games.
    And megamek to play Battletech over.
    With a once a week hobby night over the IGA discord. Where we assemble paint and shoot the ****. It's an open door for anyone o the IGA discord. Will drop a link when I'm at home.
    The advantage of the online Is we have a mate who moved to cork rejoin the gaming circle rather than just pop up in the group mails. So hes chuffed with that and we've promised to keep it going even if its once a fortnight when the world reopens.

Online Retailer list

Great list. Only store I can think of missing is HappyGoLucky in Cork, has a good selection in their online store.

• Advertisement

I'll pass it along to him.

Let him work it into his listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just of the top of my head..
    Maybe a sticky where people list their top 10 boardgames . Like they have for books in literature.
    A reviewers corner where people post their favourite review? .
    Maybe people could link their BGG profile to somewhere in this forum?.

Also a list of online boardgame sites people use?. I mostly use boardgame arena and yucata.de .

Thanks, for all the ideas everyone, I'm going to get started on this now, here's what I was thinking for the "Gaming Groups & Regions" thread. If you have any further ideas on it, let me know.
    Hey everybody!

This thread is going to be the new thread for any and all gaming groups in Ireland. If you want to be included, then just post with details of your group, including the following:

Province: (Leinster, Munster, etc)
    Town: (Naas, Castlebar, etc)
    Exact Location: (Venue details, etc)
    What the group normally plays: (Boardgames, DND, etc.)
    Any other info: (Not necessary, but maybe a short summary of your group)
    PM contact details: (Your Boards username, so people can ask you if they have any questions)

Once you post it up, the mods here will then add it into the posts below.

Below this then, I'd have four different posts reserved for Leinster, Munster, etc. Should I do a fifth one for Dublin itself?

Might be a good idea. I'm in Offaly, and the last group I met up with was in Athlone but would still be buried within a "Leinster" post of groups based in Dublin.

Maybe base it on geographical locations rather than provinces, and with a "Dublin City and surrounds" for maybe groups/players within 20-25km for there and maybe Belfast. So "South East/South West/West/North West/North East/Midlands/Dublin City/Belfast City"....though could lead to some groups being desolate and the city ones being rammed. At least folks might see where regions could do with a formed group.

Also kinda related but the Gov have announced a new initiative to stim rural life, with them attempting to turn old disused pubs into "community hubs". Could be something for people to keep an eye on if there is impetus to start a gaming group in a region and cant find a decent pub/persons home to setup in.

Finally, finally got moving on this, that's my fault, sorry. Not the start I wanted. Anyway, the Tabletop and Board Gaming Groups across Ireland is now live. I'll leave the old sticky there for a while, no point taking it down yet. I'll probably close it in a couple of weeks, once we start (hopefully) getting traction in this new thread.

Now, would people be interested in a general/off-topic discussion thread? They're very successful on other forums, and should cut down on the number of "one and done" threads. The closest that we currently have is the "post here when you buy a new game" thread, but I'd like to expand on that, so if you want to chat about your favourite boardgame, great! If you just want to have a rant about something only slightly T&BG related, then it'd be welcome there. Right now I think things are kinda siloed in here, so perhaps people would be more willing to post if there was more of a community feel around the place?

Needs more traffic. I think maybe change the name by taking Arena from it. Change the description to something lighter? "A forum for board game players"? At present I feel it all sounds a bit geek and exclusive.

I agree maybe we could share our collection, but my bgg might identify me 🙁

LorenzoB wrote: »
    Needs more traffic. I think maybe change the name by taking Arena from it. Change the description to something lighter? "A forum for board game players"? At present I feel it all sounds a bit geek and exclusive.

I agree maybe we could share our collection, but my bgg might identify me 🙁

That's a great point actually, makes it sound as if we play games in here, when that's what "forum games" is for. I'll fire that up the chain tomorrow.

Well done on the re name. I think it makes the board less clunky sounding, if that makes sense

CatInABox wrote: »
    Finally, finally got moving on this, that's my fault, sorry. Not the start I wanted. Anyway, the Tabletop and Board Gaming Groups across Ireland is now live. I'll leave the old sticky there for a while, no point taking it down yet. I'll probably close it in a couple of weeks, once we start (hopefully) getting traction in this new thread.

Only issue I see with this. Is there might be a few clubs that don't survive the current apocalypse.

So it might be a while for responses to rock in.

Only issue I see with this. Is there might be a few clubs that don't survive the current apocalypse.

So it might be a while for responses to rock in.

Yeah, that's not going to fill up for a while, is it? :D

I'm just going to close the old one, no point in confusing people on where to post. I'll leave it stickied though, as it's going to be a proper resource for a while yet.

• Advertisement

Ok. so I'm going to set up a general/off topic thread, any ideas on a title?

"The General Chat/Off Topic thread"

"Across the Tabletop - The General Chat/Off Topic thread"

"Tossing the Dice - for your random chat" ?

"Table Talk"

"I'm board, let's talk about random stuff"

Lots you could do for BG related name

"Roll for Initiative" being the most overplayed term in the whole hobby...whats one more :P
    "Play continues clockwise"
    "Shuffling the deck"
    "Hold on, let me check the rulebook real quick......"
    "No, we are not playing Monopoly!"
    "Wait...you deal how much damage?"
    "Ok its your turn"

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Good to see some initiative in here!

Others have pointed out that most crowds have moved to Facebook, etc, so we could capitalise on the advantages that a forum has over modern social media. With Wargaming Ireland seemingly shut down, we could take a few ideas from there that wouldn't work on other websites, and apply them to anything that fits in here.

For example, work-in-progress threads or bitz trading.

Lots of kickstarter boardgames now come with models to paint (as do war and skirmish games) but posting this stuff up on Facebook groups is a flash-in-the-pan kind of thing. It'll disappear under the weight of other posts. Traditional wargaming websites like dakka, heresy online, etc have sections where people can show off their finished models, which could drum up traffic around here. We could even have a finished models sticky for people to show off only their completed miniatures.

For the bitz idea, it'd likely take forever to get off the ground and there could be problems with how specific it is, so maybe a general trading/selling thread might be better?

Advertisement