Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got any photos of the punks in Dublin in the late 1980s?

• 09-06-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I've been hunting around the net for photos and videos of the punk scene in Dublin in the 1980s. Not much out there unfortunately. Has anyone got any photos to post?

Found this video that has a few familiar faces in it. (Sorry, can't remember how to embed videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6JEydLheZY

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Is that high cost of living?? Hah. Just realised I've never actually heard the original :)

There's a book coming out some time with photos of loads of "anti-social youth cults". There's a youtube collage of it somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Wally is ya mans name is it Lukas?
    I was chatting to him via pm on eirecore loads and we got on pretty well.

My hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Those are fantastic shots! Some serious blasts from the past there! Fair play!

wtf are you on about? PA linked them on eirecore.

Wally's the lad that took them and I'm fairly sure he's on thumped yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Saw a photo of Galway John amongst that lot, anyone know where he ended up?
    Also, anyone remember little Karen. She was always taking photos. I last saw her in London in the early 90s.

wtf are you on about? PA linked them on eirecore.
    Read what I said carefully, I was 100% correct.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

great photos, its brilliant there is such great documentation

looks like a real thriving scene, have only ever heard accounts from people, great to see a few of said people as teenagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MelissaKenny

These Pictures are the business!! Great to see the old Dublin where everyone didn't walk about looking the same.. I remember it all as a kid.. Wish it was still the same..
    Would love an all nighter Northern Soul dancehall.. Somewhere to do the moonstomp... (sigh)....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Saw a photo of Galway John amongst that lot, anyone know where he ended up?
    Also, anyone remember little Karen. She was always taking photos. I last saw her in London in the early 90s.

galway john is on facebook under galwayjohn so he's still around.
    Little karen i remember well..havnt seen her since 1990 or so!

Fcuck! thats me in page 71!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

smurke wrote: »
    great photos, its brilliant there is such great documentation

It really is, great photos. I have vague memories of seeing punks in and around town growing up but nothing more. The pictures seem like a lifetime ago until you realise some of the car reg's and the Ireland jersey's.

Thanks to whoever posted them, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Wally%20-%20Vol%203%20-%20%236.jpg

That copper in that pic still works around the city centre- hasn't changed one bit since whenever that was taken!

That copper in that pic still works around the city centre- hasn't changed one bit since whenever that was taken!

Dont remember his name but he was known as "hightower"..claimed to be from the liberties..a sound guy who never hassled us unnecessarily as some of the cops did.

In this pic he's talking to galwayjohn(L),Alex(R),Kellser(Back to camera),and John something(mohican far right).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some great photo's there, 2 of my friends are in a lot of them, Was at one of their 40ths a few months ago, If I only had these to stick on the wall:)

It's not in that album but one of those photos made it to national geographic. I'd say it was the same person who took a lot of those.

They'll be delighted with that link..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I was there! I havent gone through the pics yet.

I went through some phases in those days from shaved head punk to hair down to my arse hippie.

Fcuking great time to be in Dublin.

Anyone remember Dr.Strangepork in ranelagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 skahead68

Also search facebook for "where were you"..got laods of punk pics up.

• Advertisement

I am sure that's the same copper who is a very high ranking cop now, does be in charge of the big protest marches in town, Tony Blair etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Interesting segment from the LLS with Gaybo in 1983. There's a brief clip of this in Reeling In The Years but this is the whole interview.

Advertisement