Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear Photos/Reviews (DISCUSSION)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

@madmaxi what's the outter case of it like as in would it stand up to being in a bag going camping and being bounced around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

ShadowFox wrote: »
    @madmaxi what's the outter case of it like as in would it stand up to being in a bag going camping and being bounced around ?

The casing is plastic, but it's sturdy.
    In the 6 years we've had it, it's been dropped down the stairs, dropped on a concrete patio, survived the beach, it's been knocked over more times than I can remember. Drinks have been spilled over it & it still works like the first day we got it.

There is a newer model the RAD-309 which does the exact same but uses led bulbs in the torch. She's cosmetically better looking. I've no experience of it, but the reviews look good. She can also be found on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Shadowfox, what's the craic with the reusable match? How does it work, how much are they and where did you get them etc? If you wouldn't mind

Shadowfox, what's the craic with the reusable match? How does it work, how much are they and where did you get them etc? If you wouldn't mind
    You get them on ebay for around 80 cent each from China (slow postage) you fill them with lighter fluid strike it like a match http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-Waterproof-Camping-Outdoor-Flint-Match-Fire-Starter-/290604401398?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Tools&hash=item43a95f42f6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

ShadowFox - nice selection of SAKs...I thought I was mad with 5. Can I ask which model is the 5th one? the one to the right of the Rescue Tool?

Thanks
    Conor.

conjon wrote: »
    ShadowFox - nice selection of SAKs...I thought I was mad with 5. Can I ask which model is the 5th one? the one to the right of the Rescue Tool?

Thanks
    Conor.
    I got it as a gift about 2 years ago and have been looking to find out what model it is with no luck at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

I got it as a gift about 2 years ago and have been looking to find out what model it is with no luck at all

If you don't mind me asking what blades/tools does it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

It looks like the victorinox swiss army spartan lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

thanks guys. What caught my eye was the silver/red tool on the left side, kinda curious as to what that is..

Conor.

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Conor.
    If you don't mind me asking what blades/tools does it have?
    wolfeye wrote: »
    It looks like the victorinox swiss army spartan lite.
    thanks guys. What caught my eye was the silver/red tool on the left side, kinda curious as to what that is..

Conor.
    After looking at the paper work that came with it :rolleyes: Its a Victorinox Huntsman lite http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/victorinox-penknives/victorinox-huntsman-17915.asp?product=victorinox-17915

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Just arrived in the post this morning.

http://http://www.polymathproducts.co.uk/portfolio/ultra-compact-survival-kit-ucsk/

Ultra compact survival kit from Polymath Products:

ultra-compact-survival-kit-ucsk

I also got the refill pack for their EDC fire kit:
    http://www.polymathproducts.co.uk/portfolio/edc-fire-kit/ so that I can customise the survival kit to my own needs.

It will live on my key ring with mu Spyderco Bug and Fenix LD01.

I replaced the water carrier ( a condom) with a couple of the tinder sticks and a vial of the Fire starting powder from the refil pack. I haven't tried to light a fire yet ( I'll post a report when I do) but, with the included striker - a bit of hacksaw blade - it strikes nice hot sparks.

Not bad value either. The lot, delivered was £14!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the problem with Lensers is getting spares for them. On the bigger P14, the eyeball lens cracks and is unrepairable and they won't sell the heads seperately.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    the problem with Lensers is getting spares for them. On the bigger P14, the eyeball lens cracks and is unrepairable and they won't sell the heads seperately.

The main reason I went for Led Lensers was battery life in the winter months Id use a torch about 20 hours a week I tried Fenix torches before and they eat the batteries with me forgetting to carry spares so I was running out after 3 hours which isnt much use when your half way through a building and trying to use a zippo to find your way out

they do have good battery life but I'm less convinced of their durability. I had to junk a head torch that wore thru it's wires in a few places because of all the flexing. We've gone thru a lot of the P14s in work because of the lens cracks.

they do have good battery life but I'm less convinced of their durability. I had to junk a head torch that wore thru it's wires in a few places because of all the flexing. We've gone thru a lot of the P14s in work because of the lens cracks.

Havent had that issue yet thankfully but Ill keep an eye on it

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭lostboy75

have a p3, for about 2 years or so in my EDC, find it very handy to carry, barely know its there but decent light from it. not actually sure I have ever changed the batter?
    also bought a P7 equivalent made by coast (kept in the car). not sure what the differences are though? its just not branded LED Lenser and apart from that I would be hard pressed to tell.
    great torch, very robust, came with a good quality pouch. can be focused beam or spread. really like it. when I saw them in the shop I thought it was the LED Lenser, knowing how good the reviews are for that I was going to get it, at 25 euro it was a steal. took it home realised there was no difference worth talking about so went back to see if I could pick up another 1 or 2, but they were all gone. special in. missed my chance.
    shadowfox has his victornox addiction, mine is torches....

damn just found this site http://www.candlepowerforums.com/

lostboy75 wrote: »
    have a p3, for about 2 years or so in my EDC, find it very handy to carry, barely know its there but decent light from it. not actually sure I have ever changed the batter?
    also bought a P7 equivalent made by coast (kept in the car). not sure what the differences are though? its just not branded LED Lenser and apart from that I would be hard pressed to tell.
    great torch, very robust, came with a good quality pouch. can be focused beam or spread. really like it. when I saw them in the shop I thought it was the LED Lenser, knowing how good the reviews are for that I was going to get it, at 25 euro it was a steal. took it home realised there was no difference worth talking about so went back to see if I could pick up another 1 or 2, but they were all gone. special in. missed my chance.
    shadowfox has his victornox addiction, mine is torches....

damn just found this site http://www.candlepowerforums.com/
    Im a bit the same for torches too but its the cheaper end ones havent splashed out on a high end one Yet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A new bit of BoiLite gear the BioLite KettleCharge to my mind its a far better idea than the stove. If the price comes down then I'd give one a try. Looks like its a bit to heavy to back pack (907g) but if your not on foot I think its a great idea. Review with pictures here. List price is $150 (US) and if you really want one they are on eBay.co.uk including delivery to Ireland for a bit short of €200. Luxury item :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

my3cents wrote: »
    A new bit of BoiLite gear the BioLite KettleCharge to my mind its a far better idea than the stove. If the price comes down then I'd give one a try. Looks like its a bit to heavy to back pack (907g) but if your not on foot I think its a great idea. Review with pictures here. List price is $150 (US) and if you really want one they are on eBay.co.uk including delivery to Ireland for a bit short of €200. Luxury item :cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-TEMP-POWER-GENERATION-TEG-THERMOELECTRIC-MODULE-Suitable-for-Stove-top-fans-/161459455619?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item2597bbc683

If you want to chance making your own

• Advertisement

Saw a nice Duracell torch in a local hardware place; 9 leds, uses three AAAs, copper tail end on it and rubber on-off button in the same place as a maglite. Aluminium knurled body about 5 inches long and quite light. Duracell etched on flat piece on body.They were selling it for Eu 8.50.

Lidl Head Torch €10, straps have stretched on my old Eveready head torch so thought I'd give the Lidl one a try. First impressions are its a cheap bit of plastic definitely not worth €10. Don't like the straps which are over elaborate and it has a stupid switch arrangement that means you have to cycle it through all the features to get it to go off from having full beam on.

In use the double strap arrangement makes it awkward to put on but once in use it produces a good amount of light and plenty enough to work by. No real beam as it has no focus but easily enough light to read a book by on half beam.

As you can see not an item I was impressed by. If they reduce them to a fiver I'd still think twice about buying another.

Got a cheap one in Lidl and it's a pain. Flicks off when you least want it to and you have to go thru all the cycles to shut it off. the button is a domed plastic thing and sometimes even adjusting position relative to your line of sight will shut it off. Next one will be a quality unit.

Got a better one in the Surplus in Carlow. More plastic in it's build but so far it has worked just fine. It has a sliding power switch and uses three AAs. Don't know the brand but it's green with a grey head strap.........incidentally,another thing that annoys me about Lensers is that there are no flats on the handle so it rolls away if you put it down, just as you need it for illum in a confined area!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭lostboy75

what's that place in Carlow like, sounds quite interesting, but 2.5 hour journey for me means unlikely to get there anytime soon. Would have to have another reason to head that direction.

This is one of a chain of these and has a strong emphasis on tools and outdoor gear and hardware and not as strong on milsurp as it used to be. it still has all the usual stuff like combat jackets, ammunition cans, caps and hats,etc etc but in the case of the Carlow shop, it is tied into Home Depot. There is an Army surplus store in Moneygall. Have a Google and see if there is anything nearer to you.

Hi all,
    I wore Craghoppers (originally bought from Great Outdoors) pants with a pair of Long Johns underneath and Northwest boots, with one thick pair and one thin pair of socks on, when going out in the snow. Kept me warm as toast. I varied hats between a trappers hat and a cheap Thinsulate one from Trespass. Gloves were ski gloves bought about 20 years ago. What have you been wearing?

Hi all,
    I wore Craghoppers (originally bought from Great Outdoors) pants with a pair of Long Johns underneath and Northwest boots, with one thick pair and one thin pair of socks on, when going out in the snow. Kept me warm as toast. I varied hats between a trappers hat and a cheap Thinsulate one from Trespass. Gloves were ski gloves bought about 20 years ago. What have you been wearing?

Lidl work ware trousers with Lidl ski leggings underneath, thick cotton vest, quilted shirt, army woolly pully, and fleece waist coat. Plus a Lowe Alpine waterproof outer plus quilted liner for out doors (a three in one jacket). Add in a Aldi neck warmer (from a couple of years back) and thinsulate woolly hat and various gloves.

Two pair of socks and my ubiquitous wellies. Wear wellies for a lot of outdoor activities now, wouldn't be without them. Just buy the cheapest ones and replace them every few months they last between 2 and 6 months but do a good few miles everyday.

Found some some Dealz plastic sunglasses really good in the snow to stop glare and quite good as they are really large when walking into the wind. Also have several pairs of safety glasses that I also wear when its really windy.

I got a good deal recently on Regatta trainers/shoes (don't know what you call them)at a Great Outdoors outlet in Carlow; reduced from 90 to 27 Euros. I'll have that anyday...and it matched an equal reduction on a previous pair. The shoes are tough, well-made, comfortable and look well and work well as both trainers (I cycle) and for casual day wear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement