Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photobuddies thread

• 11-04-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This is an initiative that I'm setting up for photographers who might want to do stuff but might have reservations about doing it on their own. Examples that spring to mind would be things like night shots or isolated ruins.

I'm not fully sure of how it will work but the loose idea is as follows:

Here is a google map with the locations of people who are willing to be photobuddies. You put a placemarker on the map for yourself and your boards.ie userid and, if you've a twitter id, maybe that also.

In general, I think the quickest way of contacting people here will be via PM or, probably, twitter, hence contact details.

Think it might also be useful to have a label on twitter and it looks like no one is using #photobuddy.

So you could do something like "going to Skerries to take photographs of boats after dark, need a #photobuddy" if you didn't know who to contact or:

@someboardsuser going to Skerries to take pictures of boats after dark, want to come?

That's the idea anyway. I'm open to ideas. Map should be updatable by all at this stage too.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Great idea!
    Was thinking the same thing a while ago...
    I brought my nephew (a budding photographer) to some church ruins today, was class

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Great idea Calina. I think if most of the regulars put their locations down we could see a bit more local colaboration and ideas flowing here. Being out in the middle of the night or morning doesn't bother me, however I'd love some encouragement to get those sunrises at the weekends. A warm bed is only georgous especially after a hard weeks work, so a 'getup early' buddy could yield some interesting shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am embarrassed to say that I cannot find a way to put a placemarker on my location on the map. Can anyone help please?

Panic over. I tried using Firefox first and couldn't get it to work but I have now managed it by using IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Never used google maps before how do I put a marker on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Seeing as the map now contains both "places" and "people" I've changed the icons to show which is which, hope you don't mind Calina. "Places" are now marked with a camera, people are now a little man (those who really want to can turn the man into a woman).

Eeyore, to add yourself to the map, click on "edit" - this then adds a new right click option to "add a marker". When that window is open, you can change the marker by clicking on the default blue marker symbol and scroll to find the icon.

• Advertisement

Thanks will try now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

+1
    Fantastic idea!
    Might even spur people on to arrange meets, if you're aware of other boardies in the area.

Thanks Calina.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Lovely idea Treasa!!
    Let the tweets & pm's commence!

Added now, don't be afraid to PM me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Thought about photobuddies a while back when I was nearly robbed in the town, but this is a much more thought out idea than mine! Nice one, Calina!

I'd love to get a few of us out one weekend night to Dublin City Centre for long exposure shots and that.

• Advertisement

I would be up for the long exposures in the City!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

We should plan a Dublin night trip soon, so.
    See if we can get a few people interested for a Saturday night soon, perhaps?

And if it all goes well, a few scoops afterwards might be in order! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Around Dublin Docks is great in the evening, not too early and not too late! Ihave been around there about 1900 - 2100 and have got a few nice shots.

Any particular reason why it's now called Fuzzywyz? I'd suggest not making it public - that way people here, who have the link, can still use it and mess with it (I think), but stops it being on google searches. Would need to confirm that making it non-public still allows it to be edited by people who have the link.

Sounds like some smart ass decided to rename the map :mad:. You'll always get a55holes who think it's funny.

Have we anyway of checking what idiot did this or at least his/her IP address.

Sounds like some smart ass decided to rename the map :mad:. You'll always get a55holes who think it's funny.

Have we anyway of checking what idiot did this or at least his/her IP address.

Jeeze relax, people dont know how to use google maps, it was probably a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

All it took was someone to re-edit it back to normal which I did.

Mmmmm. I was trying early this morning to re-edit that and couldn't. It was late ;). So just discovered from my other computer that you have to be logged into google.
    Anyway well done ken :D

I didn't want to edit it back in case there was some fantastic reason why the name had been changed that I was just missing :D

Huh, just checked it now - it's Fuzzywyz still/again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's been renamed back from what I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thoie have you cleared your cache?

It still is
    Boards.ie Photobuddy Map

kensutz wrote: »
    Thoie have you cleared your cache?

Can't clear cache, too busy staring at Doctor Who ;)

• If there is anyone who has experience of using a canon 400d slr and wouldnt mind ahowing a newbie the ropes, any help would be much appreciated.
    Alternatively, places in West Dublin that would be good to go and try afew shots.

Depends on what you're looking for :) I'm not a particularly good photographer (in terms of seeing what would make a good shot), but can show you some of the basics of Tv vs Av etc. I don't know the Canon very well, but have used one once or twice.

If you don't get a better offer, give me a shout - I could meet you in Clondalkin or somewhere around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

love this idea. but i'll be all alone out here on the west coast :rolleyes:

well anyway - if anyone's ever in mayo i can show ya some sweet spots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

a possible extra to the photobuddy idea might be to suggest if you are a nikon or a canon user because there has being times in the past where i would have liked if there was a fellow nikon in my area.

edited: sorry notice people are doing that already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Koa Victorious Puppet, I am down in corkagh park every night running the dog, I always have the camera with me you would be more than welcome to come along. i will show you what I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭eightcell

this is a fantastic idea, i need to get out more and get some quality photography in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Hi Guys, maybe arrange a meet up soon, with some newbies and pro's that could show us the ropes :) ?

Advertisement