Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lance Vance

Great idea for a thread Sagat.

PixbyJohn, would you by any chance know or could you speculate why Charlesland is called Charlesland?

I've wondered for a while and made several inquiries but have drawn a blank.

Thanks.

Charlesland may mean the land of the peasant man, coming from the English word churl. The word churl comes from an old English word ceorl, which means freeman of the lowest class.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/churl
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churl

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Thanks for that Lance Vance. That seems entirely plausible and certainly the wikipedia entry would back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Charlesland may mean the land of the peasant man, coming from the English word churl. The word churl comes from an old English word ceorl, which means freeman of the lowest class.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/churl
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churl

:D Surely that's a wind-up. I doubt the new developments there would have been so attractive under the name peasantland.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

It's amazing what you can find on the internet ... I just found this book preview.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MLXirfTwPFUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=stories+from+a+small+town&ei=aoQiSeu2I46OzQSTjqm3Bw&hl=en#PPP1,M1

Some old photos and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

sagat wrote: »
    :D Surely that's a wind-up. I doubt the new developments there would have been so attractive under the name peasantland.

I prefer "churlsland"...

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Read that book, worth a read!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Agreed Peter McNiff's book about Greystones 'Stories from A Small Town' is eminently readable and very informative.

Derek Paine's Photographic Histories of Greystones (Bray and Enniskerry), - there are a couple of them, are also very evocative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Do you remember being asked on the Monday if you went to Mass on the Saturday after the Friday confession ?
    2nd Class, Br. Walsh. 3rd Class Br. ? 4th class, Br Donovan. 5th class Br. Brierton " Charlie". 6th class, Br. King or Chewy. There was also Master Ryle.

Mr Ryle later went on to be the principal of St Anthony's BNS in Kilcoole until he retired in the early '90s. I'm presuming it's the same man anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yes, thats the same Mr. Ryle

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Don't remember a disco in the beachhouse!
    But I do remember:
    - The Baskervilles at the Stables
    - The divine Garlic Mushrooms at the Wicklow Arms
    - Cabanas
    - The croquet lawns at the Back of the Latouche Hotel
    - The Burnaby on Christmas Eve
    - Queing to get into the Rugby Club on Stevens night, in latter years, buying tickets in advance
    - ...and all the 21st in the Rugby Club...!
    - All the old houses along the main street
    - Byrnes antique shop beside the Burnaby and Beth Nells shop more recently
    - Great lunches in the Burnaby

...the lists above are brilliant, there are lots in there - great memories! Now... I feel old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 inlondon

someone forwarded this thread to me in london and I love it... A few additions:
    - when Hillside was "the pig field"
    - sneaking out to bonfire parties on the south beach in Summer with generators and all
    - Sitting and smoking over cups of tea after school in the Copper Kettle until we got kicked out by ...what was her name ? the snooty fat lady with the blond hair?
    - Playing darts in the spit and sawdust bar of the Burnaby
    - "New York New York" at the end of Cabanas
    - The "strange movements" footprints appearing on the street/paths/walls

Someone should get the Wicklow people (is it the Bray people now?) to do a feature on this!

Does anyone remember playing poker in the snooker room that was part of Saint Killians Hall ? There was a Bagatelle and full size snooker table there. The caretaker was Mr. Ned Earles and he always had a roaring fire going.
    Also the Thrift club on a Sunday Morning in St. Killians, a savings club.
    Now does everyone that knew The Shopping Basket remember who were the first owners. The Moore family were the first, Moore's supermarket.

Heres a few more, anyone remember Agnew's shoe repair and sports shop. It was situated where Klass boutique was, right beside Walker's Garage (Hills).
    Now remember Brady's forge where Brady's hardware is now ? Then it was Jim Hayden's panel beating workshop before he moved to the Church Lane in Archer's place.

I remember Mr. Smullen who kept the boiler going in St Kevin's Christian Brothers school on Rathdown Road. Arthur Archer often kept him company as they sat there for the morning.
    Anyone remember Arthur with his torch at the Sunday matinee in the Ormonde cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Just checked the placenames website (logainm.ie) - no evidence for the name Charlesland before 1839 - earliest spellings vary: Charles' land/Charless land/Charles land/Charlesland. Irish placenames ending in -land tend to be quite late in date (most are only found from the 19th century on). It could still originate as 'churls-land' as people have suggested, but you'd expect that to be a more common placename (the only equivalent is a Charlesfield in Mayo or somewhere). Unless someone knows of a 'Charles' family who got a landgrant nearby in the 17th/18th century, the jury is still out.
    By the way - don't know how many people are aware of this - but there were a series of archaeological sites uncovered during construction at Charlesland (check out the links below or simply search for Charlesland on excavations.ie or archaeology.ie). The last link is a map showing locations of sites overlaid on a modern map.

http://www.mglarc.com/index.php/leinster/58-leinster-projects/180-excavations-at-charlesland-co-wicklow.html
    http://www.mglarc.com/index.php/home/58-leinster-projects/107-unique-prehistoric-musical-instrument-discovered-in-co-wicklow
    http://www.mglarc.com/images/stories/project_images/wicklow/chalesland_excavations/charlesland_sites.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MegFi wrote: »
    - The Burnaby on Christmas Eve

ah yes - *smash*, cheer!, *smash*, cheer!

great fun, until the spoilsports brought in plastic glasses around 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

loyatemu wrote: »
    ah yes - *smash*, cheer!, *smash*, cheer!

great fun, until the spoilsports brought in plastic glasses around 2001.
    Really ? No recollection of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 newyork1

I think Arthur lived with his sister on Rathdown Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 forrestgump

tradewinds cafe and yer man jackcsons record shop down where breretons is! Records lol really showing my age!

The ten past 8 diesel train to school.

The la touche sweet shop

The noise of the kish during stormy weather.

Spotting the talent on the buses from the shelter! How on earth did we manage to date without mobile phones, oh yeah we communicated!!!

newyork1 wrote: »
    I think Arthur lived with his sister on Rathdown Road

Thats correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

The borrowed Northern Ireland Railways Shuttle Train to Bray
    The Dry Cleaners that exploded in the Quinnsworth shopping centre (where Xtravision is now)
    The Copper Kettle
    The old brown ripped seats in the Burnaby
    The blowhole on the sea wall
    Sitting on a (literally) frozen beach in the middle of winter
    The 84a
    Almost passing out downstairs on a bus to Bray when the fumes leaked into the bus

Ones I'd forgotten (until I read them here)
    The Backwards clock in Jokers
    Soundz

"The Dry Cleaners that exploded in the Quinnsworth shopping centre (where Xtravision is now)"

Xtravision is gone from there a long time now. Things change fast

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

[Almost passing out downstairs on a bus to Bray when the fumes leaked into the bus

Saw that happening a few times. not sure that fumes had much to do with it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

I'm loving the nostalgia here. Brilliant post. A welcome change from the 'Dog barking in the Pork' dribble.

John Nolan delivered the milk door to door for Premier Dairies and HB

Mick O Reilly delivered Boland's bread (he later bought La Touche shop and was a sweet supplier with his Bedford van to shops all over Dublin & Wicklow)
    Paddy Daly delivered Johnston Mooney & O Brien's bread. He used to park the van in what is now the bookies office beside the Beach House.
    Mick Synnott of Newtown used to sell meat from his Morris Minor van house to house on a Saturday night in Greystones. He had a butchers shop in Newtown Mt. Kennedy.
    James Moran from Three Trout used to sell potatoes for Victor Evans of Farrankelly farm from a van door to door.

Does anyone remember the ESB office on Hillside road where we paid our electricity bill.

Who remembers the siren on Charlie Evans' garage (now Davis Bros ) in Greystones, it used to be heard all over Greystones to signal the firemen to the station. There was also a bell in every fireman's house that rang at the same time.

Any chance of making this thread a sticky? Just so any oldtimers (and all the new guys too) who drop by can see it straight away...otherwise it will eventually drop off the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That's the nature of fora! Stickies are for useful info/charters etc.

You'll just have to keep it up here by posting!

• Advertisement

That's the nature of fora! Stickies are for useful info/charters etc.

You'll just have to keep it up here by posting!

That's grand. Pixbyjohn, we're relying on you!

Advertisement