Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clonmel Thread

• 17-04-2011 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Post all your Clonmel comments and general discussions here :)
    Post edited by Gaspode on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'll start!

Does anyone know what the works are for? They've been going on for a few months now and seem very substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭cml387

Tremelo wrote: »
    I'll start!

Does anyone know what the works are for? They've been going on for a few months now and seem very substantial.

Apart from the flood relief I know nothing of the works of which you speak.

cml387 wrote: »

Coming from Cahir, you hit the first large roundabout on the N24 (straight through --> Poppyfields; second exit --> relief road, Waterford-bound). Very soon on the relief road there are substantial earthworks on either side of the road.

Coming from Cahir, you hit the first large roundabout on the N24 (straight through --> Poppyfields; second exit --> relief road, Waterford-bound). Very soon on the relief road there are substantial earthworks on either side of the road.

(Virtual bang on forehead) Sorry.

The new mountain?

It's work to relieve flooding caused by the bypass.
    In recent years houses on the far side of the railway in Honeyview suffered flooding.

These works will create a flood plain across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The works of which you speak are for an attenuation pond north of the bypass to take the overflow from the Boulic stream.
    You probably noticed that there are/were works goin on across the road also and this was to put down extra piping.
    The road has a 60 km speed limit at the moment and this is due to change back in early June so I can only assume that the works will be finished by then

• Advertisement

Too slow :):)

Vizzy wrote: »
    Too slow :):)

Attenuation pond sounded sexier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The best thing about Clonmel?

It's gotta be:
    The road into Cahir
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Nothing to do with with an outer relief road then?

Nothing

The outer relief road,if it ever happens, will be much further out (somewhere near the Moyle Rovers pitch out the Fethard Road)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Is MK Sports closing? Disappointing to see if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Is MK Sports closing? Disappointing to see if true.
    Don't think so,I think they just made alterations to the place cos there now selling the whole range of new Tipp gear and merchandise,whatever you could buy in the Tipp shop in Thurles can now be got in MK Sports.Eoin(God)Kelly is supposed to be opening it on Saturday from what I hear.:)

I heard that that nice little pancake parlour in Irishtown is now closed. It's a shame. It was the only one of its kind and did great pancakes. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ballingarrane North is where these works are being carried out, I spotted it today, I had been wondering what they were up to.

Im not a fan of the wall thats being constructed along the quay, I preferred the black railings..

I'm sure the people living on the quays will be glad of the new wall if it keeps the flood waters out of there houses and shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

tippspur wrote: »
    Don't think so,I think they just made alterations to the place cos there now selling the whole range of new Tipp gear and merchandise,whatever you could buy in the Tipp shop in Thurles can now be got in MK Sports.Eoin(God)Kelly is supposed to be opening it on Saturday from what I hear.:)

Good idea for him to focus on GAA stuff with the 3 other sports shops in town. Might go in for a look next week.

tippspur wrote: »
    I'm sure the people living on the quays will be glad of the new wall if it keeps the flood waters out of there houses and shops

There's a lot to regret in the flood relief works,even though I fully understand
    why it's being done.

The river is now invisible from anyone driving (or in my case cycling) down the quays.
    Lady Blessington's bath no longer looks the same with huge earthworks and concrete all around.

There's a lot to regret in the flood relief works,even though I fully understand
    why it's being done.

The river is now invisible from anyone driving (or in my case cycling) down the quays.
    Lady Blessington's bath no longer looks the same with huge earthworks and concrete all around.
    I know what your saying,It is a pity that the river can't be seen anymore and all you see now is a stone wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Resend

Someone in Clonmel told me woodies will close. is it true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I heard that about a month ago,and that the whole shopping centre there was in trouble.It could be just rumour.I remember last year reading that many pubs in Clonmel would close.I see present time in Market street centre has a closing down sale.Rates killing business all over.They keep saying small business is the the way back,but rents and rates are killing those who try.I hope the Woodies thing is not true.

• Advertisement

DT100 wrote: »
    I heard that about a month ago,and that the whole shopping centre there was in trouble.It could be just rumour.I remember last year reading that many pubs in Clonmel would close.I see present time in Market street centre has a closing down sale.Rates killing business all over.They keep saying small business is the the way back,but rents and rates are killing those who try.I hope the Woodies thing is not true.

I believe the developers of the centre are titsup.com.
    I haven't heard anything about Woodies or the other tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

DT100 wrote: »

Yup heard that about Present Time. It's there years but the rates just to have the grounds are crippling the shop. It's going to close soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭pooch90

Yup heard that about Present Time. It's there years but the rates just to have the grounds are crippling the shop. It's going to close soon.

AFAIK It closed on Saturday....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

pooch90 wrote: »
    AFAIK It closed on Saturday....

shame about present time closing, I worked on the design of that shop back in 1995/1996. I know the shop was up for sale a couple of years ago.

As regards woodies and the poppyfields, the developers behind it had a falling out. I would be very surprised if woodies was to close, unless the Grafton Group (owners of Woodies) got into serious trouble, unless they bought he unit outright. I have noticed the aisles getting wider and the shelving slightly lower, so they are certainly now doing anything like they used to.

archtech wrote: »
    . I have noticed the aisles getting wider and the shelving slightly lower, so they are certainly now doing anything like they used to.
    what do you mean?

I think he meant to type that they're not doing any business like they used to.

I think he meant to type that they're not doing any business like they used to.
    ok in woodies or the whole centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I think he meant Woodies.I have heard Slattery's are not doing much business either.

While I'm in a curious frame of mind;

what's the story with the partly developed "apartment " complex at the old bridge (we're talking the building across the road from the properly developed apartment block)?
    It's a complete eyesore with a mass of electric cables erupting from a hole in the front (must get a photograph).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

sorry about the typo above. meant to write not and not now and I was making reference to woodies only, although I had heard a rumour months ago that slattery's had closed, which thankfully hasn't happened.
    what's the story with the partly developed "apartment " complex at the old bridge (we're talking the building across the road from the properly developed apartment block)?
    It's a complete eyesore with a mass of electric cables erupting from a hole in the front

The building you are referring to is not an apartment development, it was intended to be a hostel.( had planning for a hostel) It was close to being finished with the exception of the construction of a new kitchen extension, which was refused planning permission. (flooding was one of the issues, but there were others from what I remember.)

Advertisement