Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I take a break in cover without being penalised?

• 31-03-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Have had fully comprehensive policy for years, my car is off the road (can’t afford repairs, car is of little value) for the foreseeable. Annual policy is due to renew in a few days - can I go without insurance for a year or two without losing no claims bonus. How do I do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Answer to your question (in the thread title) is 'yes'. Provided you are no more than two years without cover i.e. your no-claims bonus/discount will lapse after two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

coylemj wrote: »
    Answer to your question (in the thread title) is 'yes'. Provided you are no more than two years without cover i.e. your no-claims bonus/discount will lapse after two years.

Grand, so can I just let cover lapse or do I have to inform them of same.

minikin wrote: »
    Grand, so can I just let cover lapse or do I have to inform them of same.

Drop them an e-mail, just say you are not renewing. You don't legaly have to inform them but in the current climate, they are extending policies. In my case (Axa), they have said I can renew up to 28 days after the renewal date...
    if you are unable to get in touch with us before your renewal date, we are happy to allow you up to 28 days after your renewal date to arrange a payment.

If you're getting rid of the car, make sure you give it to an Authorised Treatment Facility (your local authority website will have a list of ATFs) and get a certificate of destruction. If you sell the car to someone who wants to drive it or break it for parts, do not hand them the registration cert, fill in their name and address and post it off to Shannon as per the instructions on the cert. Otherwise you could start getting speeding fines in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

coylemj wrote: »
    Drop them an e-mail, just say you are not renewing. You don't legaly have to inform them but in the current climate, they are extending policies. In my case (Axa), they have said I can renew up to 28 days after the renewal date...

To clarify, AXA will allow you up to 28 days to make payment. You have to contact them to agree your own situation. There are no days of grace or free extensions of cover

To clarify, AXA will allow you up to 28 days to make payment. You have to contact them to agree your own situation. There are no days of grace or free extensions of cover

But they specifically say that this applies if you cannot contact them...
    In addition, if you are unable to get in touch with us before your renewal date, we are happy to allow you up to 28 days after your renewal date to arrange a payment.

So can you elaborate on what exactly it is they're saying?

If there's no extension of cover then that statement means nothing because under the normal rules, if I paid the premium a week late, I'd get a cert. starting fron the date the premium was paid i.e. there would be a break in cover and I would be uninsured from the renewal date to the date I paid the premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The intention is to allow 28 days for you make payment on a renewal you agree with them in advance

The intention is to allow 28 days for you make payment on a renewal you agree with them in advance

You can't agree something in advance if you can't contact them.

Read it again.

Advertisement