Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greystones

• 08-03-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Anybody got any views/opinions on this development? 3 houses for sale which would only have been bought last year. Any problems or issues in the development? And is there social housing in it? I'm not judging, just asking.

I'm planning a move and it's always the best way to get information directly from source. I've a belly full of E.As at this point.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Sorry, this should read: Marina Village Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

seasidedub wrote: »
    Sorry, this should read: Marina Village Greystones

They are trying to flip them I would think, they could have brought off plan and are hoping to make a bit, try and find out what the development was launched at and compare the price they are asking now.

mariaalice wrote: »
    They are trying to flip them I would think, they could have brought off plan and are hoping to make a bit, try and find out what the development was launched at and compare the price they are asking now.

They were bought on and around 500k, asking 650k.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't think there's social around them but they'll have the usual minimum 10%, I don't know the area very well but I feel like they were overpriced even for Greystones. The development backs on to the dart line which could annoy some, also they're right on the harbour, I'd worry about the erosion there as the area was quite prone to it going back a few years.

Well, there is your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Not a bad house to get from the council :eek:

Not a bad house to get from the council :eek:

I am not sure about this but I think they did some sort of deal with the council so there may be no social housing in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Don't think there's social around them but they'll have the usual minimum 10%, I don't know the area very well but I feel like they were overpriced even for Greystones. The development backs on to the dart line which could annoy some, also they're right on the harbour, I'd worry about the erosion there as the area was quite prone to it going back a few years.

they're all within the Harbour development and behind the walls and rock armour so should be OK from an erosion point of view. Of course if sea levels rise dramatically, all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I hadn't thought of that, was thinking more about the multiple projects over the last 10-15 years to stop erosion around bray head/harbour redevelopment etc.

but yeah if the level rises you'd have an expensive aquarium of a house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Overpriced tbh. Similar houses in other developments in Greystones going for 100 to 150k less.

Sure your right on the sea but most of the houses have absolutely no view of it because it's so overdeveloped. Also you might want to consider that you'll have quite a lot of people passing through doing the cliff walk which could be a bit of an annoyance.

No anti social behaviour or anything as far as I'm aware though.

• Advertisement

Sure your right on the sea but most of the houses have absolutely no view of it because it's so overdeveloped. Also you might want to consider that you'll have quite a lot of people passing through doing the cliff walk which could be a bit of an annoyance.

currently the Cliff Walk goes through the estate because of the apartment construction work, when everything is finished the walk will be redirected along the marina boardwalk.

Appreciate the answers- was not keen on the Marina Village, was bidding on a gorgeous little jewel close to Ladies Cove. Went up 200k. Someone is going to pay 765k for 120m2 with basically a patio so no room to extend and will be massively overlooked by the la Touche redevelopment. So Greystones seems to be the in place. Gutted. Ah well.

look at the older estates around the town. That sort of money would get you somewhere in Hillside, Heathervue, Rathdown Park with money left over to renovate and modernise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Appreciate the answers- was not keen on the Marina Village, was bidding on a gorgeous little jewel close to Ladies Cove. Went up 200k. Someone is going to pay 765k for 120m2 with basically a patio so no room to extend and will be massively overlooked by the la Touche redevelopment. So Greystones seems to be the in place. Gutted. Ah well.

I know the house you're talking about. If someone is willing to pay 765k for that good look to them!

For 200k less than that, like the previous poster mentioned, you will get a lot in greystones even with the current eye-watering prices.

I know the house you're talking about. If someone is willing to pay 765k for that good look to them!

For 200k less than that, like the previous poster mentioned, you will get a lot in greystones even with the current eye-watering prices.

E.A. phoned 765k cash buyer. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

E.A. phoned 765k cash buyer. Wow.

Insanity.

Its not comparing like with like anything unique, interesting, cottage(ie) and fairly central will attract a premium in Greystones. A collage of my sister is renting in Greystones and they will not buy in an estate they are waiting for the right house. Even in the 1980s, it was like that.

Its not comparing like with like anything unique, interesting, cottage(ie) and fairly central will attract a premium in Greystones. A collage of my sister is renting in Greystones and they will not buy in an estate they are waiting for the right house.

Yes. I was willing to pay a premium for an interesting, unusual place, but 765k is an awful lot, bear in mind cannot be extended and will be completely overlooked. The back balconies of the la Touche redevelopment are practically in the garden/patio thing. But it had.....something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Anybody got any views/opinions on this development? 3 houses for sale which would only have been bought last year. Any problems or issues in the development? And is there social housing in it? I'm not judging, just asking.

I'm planning a move and it's always the best way to get information directly from source. I've a belly full of E.As at this point.

Thanks

Unless your familiar with Greystones, I'd take a long, hard look at any car commute your planning in and out onto the N11. It's one of the reasons Bray is outperforming similar "societal-level" estates in Greystones

I've not been much down there but when I was down there it struck me as typical modern high-density/concrete jungle. Everything is man-made materials. How this will hold up price wise is open to question. Take Saran Wood in Bray: similar high density/friend can't find a car park space when they visit kind of place. Houses there do far worse price wise than similar size, "societal-level" houses around - simply because that packed-in life grates

Quite why anyone would buy a house right beside the sea, when even corporate media is like a voice crying out in the wilderness regarding impending sea-level prospects ... is simply beyond me. Read anything on Artic ice and the impact on sea levels of even single glaciers sliding into the sea.

Put it this way: if someone offered me a property down there as a fixed 20 year investment, at half the current selling price, I wouldn't take it. Value could be completely wiped out in a heartbeat - with even with a single, far-less-than-catastrophic event. All it takes is for the masses to turn in the direction to what all the scientists are saying is on top of us already ... and you might as well be selling a house near Cherynobl.

There's a good chipper on the road in though. Best in Greystones.

I live on a hill :)

Unless your familiar with Greystones, I'd take a long, hard look at any car commute your planning in and out onto the N11. It's one of the reasons Bray is outperforming similar "societal-level" estates

I've not been much down there but when I was down there it struck me as typical modern high-density/concrete jungle. Everything is man-made materials. How this will hold up price wise is open to question. Take Saran Wood in Bray: similar high density/friend can't find a car park space when they visit kind of place. Houses there do far worse price wise than similar size, "societal-level" houses around - simply because that packed-in life grates

Quiet why anyone would buy a house right beside the sea, when even corporate media is like a voice crying out in the wilderness regarding impending sea-level prospects ... is simply beyond me. Put it this way: if someone offered a property down there as a fixed 20 year investment at half the current selling price I wouldn't take it.

I live on a hill :)

I know all about the commute - have similar. But have tweaked my hours accordingly. Lucky to be able to. It's just my big pleasure in life is sea swimming, I'm boring otherwise- and to pop out the gate and into the sea would be bliss. You reckon the Marina is a no no?

• Advertisement

I know all about the commute - have similar. But have tweaked my hours accordingly. Lucky to be able to. It's just my big pleasure in life is sea swimming, I'm boring otherwise- and to pop out the gate and into the sea would be bliss. You reckon the Marina is a no no?

You will love it if it works out, of a summers evening lots go swimming after work I have seen someone get off the Dart go to the beach take off the work clothes and go swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

It's just my big pleasure in life is sea swimming, I'm boring otherwise- and to pop out the gate and into the sea would be bliss. You reckon the Marina is a no no?

I fully understand amenity proximity. Somewhere on the sea for a keen sea swimmer, well, that couldn't be but heaven.

But its not the tea leaf readers pointing at sea-level rises, it's the body science. And they are screaming at the top of their voices.

Buying on sea strikes me as head in the sand.

Edit: I'm reminded of the point in The Big Short were one of the protagonists stands up mid-head-in-sand-seminar, and says "zero". That's how much houses-on-sea would be worth if anything sea level kicks off.

Its not as if you can't live very close to the sea on a hill. Heck, the sea might even come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Wouldn't like to live there. Most of the houses are very small, no sense of space around the area, traffic issues, potential flooding and insurance issues. Not to mention very overpriced. Greystones is also rapidly losing its soul and is overated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The Marina Village houses look attractive until you have to live in them. Railway to the rear, massive apartments blocking the view to the sea, over looked postage stamp gardens, limited parking, access road will very busy as it is the only way in and out for everyone. Great location but I wouldn't want to live there.

Just in case anyone's interested- that small cottage type house I was bidding on is now at 780k for 120m2, overlooked by La Touche hotel redevelopment and no room anywhere to extend. It was lovely, but 780k for 120m2?

Finally, anyone got anything good to say about the Marina Village?? Anyone?

Just in case anyone's interested- that small cottage type house I was bidding on is now at 780k for 120m2, overlooked by La Touche hotel redevelopment and no room anywhere to extend. It was lovely, but 780k for 120m2?

Finally, anyone got anything good to say about the Marina Village?? Anyone?

This is a left-field suggestion and totally depends on your work and lifestyle situation but would you look at Rush lovey beach and much cheaper property.

A few good things about the Marina village it's within in a five to ten-minute walk from the Dart and a two-minute walk from the Beach house pub, any maybe a three-minute walk to the beach.

This is a left-field suggestion and totally depends on your work and lifestyle situation but would you look at Rush lovey beach and much cheaper property.

A few good things about the Marina village it's within in a five to ten-minute walk from the Dart and a two-minute walk from the Beach house pub, any maybe a three-minute walk to the beach.

Thanks for this. I'm currently in a beach area of north county Dublin. I need to move and am only willing to move to the sea as I've lived by it all my life. I know Rush, Skerries etc very well, but need to go south. Can't afford Dalkey, Sandycove etc, so Greystones is the best choice. I'm used to a village atmosphere so want that too.

Thanks for this. I'm currently in a beach area of north county Dublin. I need to move and am only willing to move to the sea as I've lived by it all my life. I know Rush, Skerries etc very well, but need to go south. Can't afford Dalkey, Sandycove etc, so Greystones is the best choice. I'm used to a village atmosphere so want that too.

You would also get an A rated house, personally, the lack of privacy would be an issue for me but depending on what you are used to might not be an issue for you, Greystones is a great place lots of lovely coffee shops and restaurants, walks the beach the Dart etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Seagreen/Waverly a short walk from the sea, elevated so no fear of fish on your doorstep in a few years. None of the downsides of being wedged on the seafront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

You can't compare that house to living in a housing estate! If I had the money I would buy it like a shot! It's a lovely house in a great location .... right in the middle of Greystones!

Advertisement