Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiki tree and data protection

• 02-03-2019 9:08pm

Lately I've discovered wiki tree as a useful place to gather together all of my notes and biographies from people in my family-tree.

I especially like that the information is co-operatively vetted, the layout is great, and that the information is free and accessible to everyone.

However, it does seem to encourage the addition of contemporary information. I wouldn't dream of putting my own name on it, nor that of anyone to whom I'm related who is still alive, or who was born since approx 1940.

Im just wondering about the GDPR implications for the website itself, and for people who post that kind of information? Surely that cannot be allowed.

The website seems to allow anyone be added to it, as long as there is some kind of evidence such as a birth certificate, which is essentially public information, even for children born in 2019.

Bit creepy, no ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I never use it and wary of cooperative trees because people can change correct info or add wrong stuff.
    But birth certs are public records and there's nothing to stop anyone for getting a hold of any cert and uploading it.
    I don't know about the GDPR implications but there's probably an argument that public records cannot be considered private.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

GDPR is only enforce for living people so the dead don't have any data protection rights under GDPR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

There is GDPR info on the Wikitree site. I didn't read it all but living people are 'unlisted' so their details are only visible to a 'trusted list'. Assume this is similar to Facebook friends. Wikitree would be a controller in terms of GDPR. A public record such as a birth cert is still personal data so its use would have to comply with GDPR. It's possible to use other people's personal data for purely personal and household activities eg family history but I don't think that publication on the open internet falls within this. There is case law about a Swedish lady called Lindqvist. It's old now but think it still applies.

Vetch wrote: »
    There is GDPR info on the Wikitree site. I didn't read it all but living people are 'unlisted' so their details are only visible to a 'trusted list'.
    I'm not sure how I could be on any trusted list, but I joined the site precisely two days ago, and can already see the birth and family details of a person who is very much alive - including her young children and their dates of birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I'm not sure how I could be on any trusted list, but I joined the site precisely two days ago, and can already see the birth and family details of a person who is very much alive - including her young children and their dates of birth.

No idea, like I said, I didn't read it all but from the cursory read I gave it the site seems to provide tools to protect the data of living persons. It would obviously be up to each site user to use the tools and perhaps this didn't happen here. Or perhaps consent exists for the publication of the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I never use it and wary of cooperative trees because people can change correct info or add wrong stuff.
    But birth certs are public records and there's nothing to stop anyone for getting a hold of any cert and uploading it.
    I don't know about the GDPR implications but there's probably an argument that public records cannot be considered private.

Is the Family Search site also a cooperative tree?

Yep, but since Mormons usually do genealogy as part of their faith, hopefully it's better researched.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yep, but since Mormons usually do genealogy as part of their faith, hopefully it's better researched.

Thanks pinkypinky. Not fond of the idea of non-family members changing my data... Someone on ancestry (who never met my family) mislabeled a photo and the error is being copied and pasted. Atleast I can keep correct info on my tree.

Usually, you need to give permission to someone to collaborate on your tree.
    But I know what you mean - a mistake I made with a person who seemed like a DNA match, and has now been acknowledged by both of us is replicated on lots of trees. I've mailed a couple of them and said it was wrong but they never replied.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Usually, you need to give permission to someone to collaborate on your tree.
    But I know what you mean - a mistake I made with a person who seemed like a DNA match, and has now been acknowledged by both of us is replicated on lots of trees. I've mailed a couple of them and said it was wrong but they never replied.
    Oh cool, that's good to know.

That was thoughtful of you to correct the data and message, but I understand what you mean - I tried messaging about the mislabeled pic, but got no reply back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Not always. I once assisted one of their members (in the US) who also is a professional genealogist and got 'done over' :o- I've mentioned that tale before. Also, non-CLDS people can contribute both trees and entries to Familysearch, so care is always needed and the source must be checked to see the contributor.

Advertisement