Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Smart Clock / Smart Clock Essential

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I'd imagine it's worth the extra tenner to get the regular one over the essential one. Just bought, thanks OP. Looks good and reviews are decent too. Came to €38.62 with the shipping charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks for that, was looking for a google based clock for my parents as they already have a google home. They complain that their ancient clock radio switches the radio off after 59 minutes so the essential should be perfect. Love the nightlight feature too, not on the dearer one. They don't need a touchscreen clock so there was no point in me paying the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cheers... This will be handy as a little display for the nest hello I picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Just noticed they're 39.99 euro in curry's aswell , but I already ordered from Lenovo myself .

Handy to get in curry's if your not sure.
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-home-starter-kits/lenovo-smart-clock-with-google-assistant-10194217-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Really don't need this but ordered anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Sigh I don't need one either but here I am :o

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

Ush1 wrote: »
    Really don't need this but ordered anyway!

I'm the same - I posted it so that I wouldn't be the only one...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

PreCocious wrote: »

Thanks for that, mum's Christmas present sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Tandey

Any difference between this and the echo show 5 at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Why did I see this. Dammit, have to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭shovel

I have this since last year in the bedroom.i find it great.use the alarm clock (set by my voice).ask for radio on the mornings that I'm off work.some spotify when taking a shower in the ensuite.good sound.it has a plus and minus button on top to adjust the volume.(I find voice control for volume poor enough across google and amazon devices).
    It also looks very well,not as in your face like an echo show.
    Bought for my missus,she loves it too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Tandey wrote: »
    Any difference between this and the echo show 5 at all?

I'm hoping this screen won't flicker as much as the echo show does. The echo show has a camera, this doesn't. I love the nightlight on the lenovo essential one.

Basically getting this for my parents as a replacement for an old click radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

shovel wrote: »
    I have this since last year in the bedroom.i find it great.use the alarm clock (set by my voice).ask for radio on the mornings that I'm off work.some spotify when taking a shower in the ensuite.good sound.it has a plus and minus button on top to adjust the volume.(I find voice control for volume poor enough across google and amazon devices).
    It also looks very well,not as in your face like an echo show.
    Bought for my missus,she loves it too

Does the grey colour look nice? Or would all black be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Article comparing the two- link

Is there some logic that I'm missing as to why the cheaper one has four times the RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭shovel

No flicker on the screen. I bought the grey. I have black speakers on a surround system and they really show any speck of dust.

I replaced a clock radio with this and found it ideal.
    we have echo dots and one echo show in other rooms in the house and this is the best for a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

If you ask it to play the radio, does it begin with a 10 (or thereabouts) ad first? Find it so annoying, especially if you're just turning radio on for a minute or so.
    This happens with my Echo Dot, would love if you could disable this, would even pay to for it.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

If you ask it to play the radio, does it begin with a 10 (or thereabouts) ad first? Find it so annoying, especially if you're just turning radio on for a minute or so.
    This happens with my Echo Dot, would love if you could disable this, would even pay to for it.

Cheers,
    Pa.

I have a few Google Assistant devices and the only station (of the ones that I regularly listen to) that plays an ad before playing is Today FM (via TuneIn).

Re colour: the grey ones won't show the dust ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

I didn't need one, but there's one on the way! Thanks, OP, great looking bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Genghis

Is the USB charging dock designed to allow you charge a phone overnight? Would you know if it works well with USB-C?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa.

You can sign up for an ad-free TuneIn experience here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Today FM inject their own pre-roll ads into streams, having the ad-free version of TuneIn actually won't help in this instance.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Today FM inject their own pre-roll ads into streams, having the ad-free version of TuneIn actually won't help in this instance.

Yes Newstalk the same. Probably a Communicorp thing, I don't think it happens with RTE or BBC, albeit nearly sure have heard it on some other UK stations too.

Genghis wrote: »
    Is the USB charging dock designed to allow you charge a phone overnight? Would you know if it works well with USB-C?

To answer my own question ... found this link:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo/Lenovo-Smart-Clock-USB-Charging-Output/m-p/4446352

It is designed for charging phones (but only slowly). Will take a chance on it - thanks OP.

Picked up the "Essential" version of this, wanted something that was simple and liked the idea of the clock only version. I've enough smart tech, one more small thing won't harm! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm wavering here guys! I'm been thinking of getting some Smart devices (bulbs mostly) but was looking at Amazon's Alexa/Dot offerings

I'm already pretty much all in on Google anyway. I guess I could still buy bulbs and this would manage at least some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭shnaek

Don't need one. Bought one. Cheers OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm wavering here guys! I'm been thinking of getting some Smart devices (bulbs mostly) but was looking at Amazon's Alexa/Dot offerings

I'm already pretty much all in on Google anyway. I guess I could still buy bulbs and this would manage at least some of them?

I use Kasa bulbs and they are great. You can get some really great deals on them online if you search around.

I use them with my Google Home app and I have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

Thinking of buying one for a person that doesnt have any google home or any google devices. THey dont have a smart phone - Im talking prehistoric here.

Would you need a google device already working on the wifi (they do have internet) or would it be a useless object to have?

Thanks

• Advertisement

You will need a phone or tablet with the Google Home app installed (and on the wifi) plus a Google account.

Advertisement