Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe-cracking

• 18-07-2007 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I have a Sentry safe with a 3 code combination and key.

I have never touched the combination wheel so I just use the key to unlock it.

I accidently moved the wheel a bit (no more than 40 places out of 100). I have tried moving the wheel back again, but it wont open on any of the number that it could have been on. I presume moving it backwards moved it off the other two numbers of the combination, so I would have to put in the whole combination again. Is this right?

Of course the problem is that I don't know what the combination is. Apparently it was in the manual that came with it, but I don't know where that is - it might even be in the safe.

Sentry have a facility for finding out what the combination was (you have to send them stuff like the serial number and things signed by a notary to confirm that you own the safe, and of course some money), but that would take a long time.

I would also like to try cracking the code by brute force (going through all the possibilities). I know it would take a very long time, but I'm willing to dedicate a few days to it. The only reluctance that I have is that I would like to confirm before I start that there is nothing I can do even though it should have only moved off the correct combination by a little bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

right.. so... why exactly are you telling us this? unless of course you want to tell us where you live.. and the orig combo when you find it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's three digits, it's not going to take you that long.

i had a 3 digits combination lock on my guitar case which i forgot the combo too, took me 30 minutes to get the combination at it was in the 700's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If it's three turns of a 100 digit wheel, it will take a good while to crack it.

You're correct in saying that you have to input all three numbers again - you've moved it too far and knocked the levers out of the notches in the wheel.

Cracking a safe is pretty easy once you can hear the click when the lever falls in between two contact points on the wheel .You can graph the probable combinations fairly easily. All the info you need can be found with a google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Hehe! I found the manual with the code on it and opened it :)

Cremo - This is a safe, not a combination pad-lock. It's not three 'digits', it's a three code combination: you put the dial to 0, then turn it three full times around and then select the first number (which is between 0 and 100), then spin it twice in the other direction and then select the second number (between 0 and 100), then spin in once in the first direction to select the third number (again between 0 and 100). In total there are 1 million possible combinations, so with all that spinning (and it's a big wheel so it takes a while to even spin it around once) it would take many hours to crack by brute force.

voodoo_child - Yes I read about it, but I think it would take a bit of practice - I don't hear any clicks when I turn it, and the lever often feels different on lots of different numbers.

Very happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Remember kids, use safe crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

What happened to the dynamite? Enough liquid nitrogen and a blow torch will literally crack that safe for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

:confused: really needed this thread..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Is there anything of any value in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

i know im too late but if youre bored I have a drill and a hankering to power tool something...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this idiot guy is counting to a million and reckons that it will take him 4 months:
    http://www.millioncount.com/

I reckon you'd have to triple that (at least) if you were dialling combinations into a safe - ok you'd probably get the right one long before you'd entered all 1 million possibilities, but still not practical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

1, 2, skip a few, 99 a million. We had a safe in my old workplace. Nobody used it or knew the combination and it was always open. On my last day I put a copy of The Times and a full tuna sandwich in it and locked it away for a thousand years. My contribution to civilisation. To the future. To our children's futures. How noble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

fluppet wrote:
    voodoo_child - Yes I read about it, but I think it would take a bit of practice - I don't hear any clicks when I turn it, and the lever often feels different on lots of different numbers
    If you have any doctor friends, borrow a stethescope off them. Seems to be the way its done in the movies .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Get a drill, a hose and watch "The Score" and Robert de Niro will show you how to do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

There was a crowd on <snip>.com a while back who made a robot arm with servos to brute force the combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

The only way to do it is at night with a small jazz band playing in the hallway like in The Professionals or The Sweeney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dynamite ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

grasshopa wrote:
    There was a crowd on <snip>.com a while back who made a robot arm with servos to brute force the combo.
    Please don't mention sites like that here.
    It's a legal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Em what?

Sites providing cracks to xboxes and the like are not allowed to be mentioned here.
    It's not part of the AH charter because it rarely happens here, but any of the computer related forums do mention that sort of thing in their charters. It applies sitewide.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What happened to the dynamite? Enough liquid nitrogen and a blow torch will literally crack that safe for you.
    Realise that the locking bolts are held open by glass rods. Try to blow open the doors and you lock the safe permanently.

You would have to use enough explosives to go through the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

http://www.sentrysafes.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/41
    It wouldn't happen to be this one would it?

Victor wrote:
    Realise that the locking bolts are held open by glass rods. Try to blow open the doors and you lock the safe permanently.

You would have to use enough explosives to go through the wall.

Go in from the back :).

Go in from the back :).
    Only at certain times of the month.

Terry wrote:
    Only at certain times of the month.

Me = burned.

Advertisement