Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• CyberGhost wrote: »
    The third SIM I ordered from their website, where I had to enter my age as part of the checkout. So I wonder if it'll come with age restriction turned off by default? And hence nothing will be blocked?

I doubt it as I'd guess most parents would likely just user their own details when ordering a sim card online for their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I doubt it as I'd guess most parents would likely just user their own details when ordering a sim card online for their child.

Good point.

I've been onto Vodafone - went to their store, called their support, etc. Nobody seemed to be able to figure it out. Now they've escalated it to level 2 support, and promised to sort it out and call me back in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I asked this in another thread, maybe I'll get more responses here.

Vodafone seems to have issues with some sites. For example,

mega.nz does not load at all
    broadbandspeedtest.ie does not work (powered by speedtest.net)
    speedtest.net does not work

Could you please check if the above sites work for you on your phone?
    Speedtest. Net yes

Speedtest. Net yes

And mega.nz, no?

BTW, you are not testing speedtest.net from the app, do you? Because that works for me too strangely.

And mega.nz, no?

BTW, you are not testing speedtest.net from the app, do you? Because that works for me too strangely.

Yes from app

• Advertisement

Yes from app

Can you try from the website please? Chrome.

OK, I got an update.

speedtest.net is blocked by Vodafone's APN proxy. 10.24.59.100, Port 80.

If you use the above APN proxy, you won't be able to use speedtest.net.

Cleared it away and just left live.vodafone.com and the website works now.

mega.nz still does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I've noticed my 4G speed has reduced the past few days and I've been picking up 3G where I'd usually be picking up 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭breeno

Vodafone contract is up and weighing up my next move. Considering 48 but I do like how steady the Vodafone connection is around my way and where I holiday. Have looked Vodafone x or even a phone upgrade on the 40 quid a month plan as I get a reduction on that through work. Does the 10mb limit they're mentioning for these plans now actually apply in real world use? Is there any way around it?

I've noticed my 4G speed has reduced the past few days and I've been picking up 3G where I'd usually be picking up 4G.

Happening for months can be outstanding to dreadfully dire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

breeno wrote: »
    Vodafone contract is up and weighing up my next move. Considering 48 but I do like how steady the Vodafone connection is around my way and where I holiday. Have looked Vodafone x or even a phone upgrade on the 40 quid a month plan as I get a reduction on that through work. Does the 10mb limit they're mentioning for these plans now actually apply in real world use? Is there any way around it?

You could trial 48 and see if it suits you before switching.

1 of the Vodafone X packages does not have the 10mb limit but does have a 10 GB limit.

The Postfone package, that runs on the Vodafone network, does not have any speed limit and a 25 GB limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

JTMan wrote: »
    You could trial 48 and see if it suits you before switching.

1 of the Vodafone X packages does not have the 10mb limit but does have a 10 GB limit.

The Postfone package, that runs on the Vodafone network, does not have any speed limit and a 25 GB limit.

Post mobile was only 3g, maybe it's different now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Yep, 4G now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's only one Vodafone X plan for new signups as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

CoBo55 wrote: »

postmobile always looks appealing as a vodafone product at a cheaper price but there's people on boards.ie who were quite unhappy with them and got very poor speeds. I don't know anyone with them so it's hard to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

TheDriver wrote: »
    postmobile always looks appealing as a vodafone product at a cheaper price but there's people on boards.ie who were quite unhappy with them and got very poor speeds. I don't know anyone with them so it's hard to judge.

The missus was with them for a while, she always had a connection but significantly slower than VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The only benefit of postmobile is the extra data compared to Vodafone's Chat Extra plan.

Post mobile have 2 different plan durations....31 days if you auto renew but only 28 days if you top up manually. They also cap roaming at 250 minutes.

Their market share is too low to be counted separately. They are included with Virgin Mobile and Lyca with a combined share of under 4%. PM would be lucky to have 1%. With Vodafone at around 35%, PM haven't a hope of gaining any significant share with their current pricing strategy. They can't be making much profit on that market share, probably barely breaking even.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    PM haven't a hope of gaining any significant share with their current pricing strategy. They can't be making much profit on that market share, probably barely breaking even.

Yeah. The PM pricing strategy needs a refresh. Their target audience seems to be a mix of elderly who go into Post Offices, people who perceive An Post as offering good customer care and those who want to stay on the Vodafone network but with a better value package (albeit there is now very little difference to Vodafone X).

At some point Vodafone are going to have to do something to compete with web-based-only operators like 48 and GoMo. Unlikely that Vodafone will use PM as a route to market but maybe they might consider that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah. The PM pricing strategy needs a refresh. Their target audience seems to be a mix of elderly who go into Post Offices, people who perceive An Post as offering good customer care and those who want to stay on the Vodafone network but with a better value package (albeit there is now very little difference to Vodafone X).

At some point Vodafone are going to have to do something to compete with web-based-only operators like 48 and GoMo. Unlikely that Vodafone will use PM as a route to market but maybe they might consider that option.

Or they could just make Vodafone better value to match 48/gomo. If they done that they would clean up. I know it'll never happen but it would be one way of clawing back lost market share.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Or they could just make Vodafone better value to match 48/gomo. If they done that they would clean up. I know it'll never happen but it would be one way of clawing back lost market share.

It will never happen because it would cause too much loss of revenue from their existing base many of whom are on expensive packages.

The route to market for Vodafone is surely a shadow brand like they did in the UK and Italy to complete with web-based operators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 westie97

physioman wrote: »
    It works currently for me in 4g modem. Will see what happens come the 6th june

Is vodafone X still working for you in a modem with more than 10mbps?

Good point.

I've been onto Vodafone - went to their store, called their support, etc. Nobody seemed to be able to figure it out. Now they've escalated it to level 2 support, and promised to sort it out and call me back in a few days.

Received the new SIM card. Mega.nz works with it. So there you go. They could not figure out how to make the old one work. I also know how the support works in IT companies generally, so I would be amazed if anybody actually bothered to investigate and look deeply into the issue. Probably tried something basic, replied to the ticket and said they've "fixed" it.

The content was unblocked from start (because I entered my details during the order process).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

westie97 wrote: »
    Is vodafone X still working for you in a modem with more than 10mbps?

Yip still getting 50mbps + speeds. No throttling of speeds.

Mine is up n down

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭theintern

The throttling is hit and miss. I occasionally get 50 plus down, but just ran a test and got 10 both directions. So it seems pretty random.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Are you a heavy user as i am about to give it another try if i am not throttled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

homingbird wrote: »
    Are you a heavy user as i am about to give it another try if i am not throttled.

Not really maybe 80gb a month. I was on previous x plan so maybe for new users it is throttled

Looks like 10mbps speed is in effect now. At least for me. Not going over 10.

But what is still good is that for the first few seconds the burst of speed goes up to 20-25mbps and that is fast enough to download pages quickly so the slower speed is not really noticeable.

4K video on YouTube stutters though, just so you know. 1080p is fine.

Looks like 10mbps speed is in effect now. At least for me. Not going over 10.

But what is still good is that for the first few seconds the burst of speed goes up to 20-25mbps and that is fast enough to download pages quickly so the slower speed is not really noticeable.

4K video on YouTube stutters though, just so you know. 1080p is fine.

Mine was stuck on 10 man now back to 35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I've noticed a deterioration since the new regime came into effect. I'm getting 5 to 12 Mbps dn, and about half that up, which is just fine for my needs. But I'm getting a lot of what seems to be a total absence of internet for 5, 10 seconds, or even a minute at times. Yet Ookla gives decent ping and data rate figures. TBH I don't have "full bars" most of the time.
    Is it likely to do with a less than perfect signal strength, or is there some DHCP/DNS outage (I'm not a network expert!) going on here? When I go to a new page, even to Google, nothing happens for seconds/minutes and then everything flows along nicely once I get there. Change to a new website and duh.....

I have FTTH (Eir's Rural Broadband) on the pole outside the farmhouse, and my neighbour is luxuriating in 150mbps no contention bliss for €30/mth, which is looking very tempting. It's €30 I'd rather keep in my pocket, and I'm not a gamer nor 4k TV viewer, but this stop/go crud is getting to me.

Advertisement