Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

vicwatson wrote: »
    It’s not a 1.2m crate though is it???

From their website - “H: 105cm W: 118cm D: 72cm“

Which equates to 0.89 cbm

You're right there vic, I had just looked at it and thought by the shape that it was 1.2m3. I've never seen a 0.89m3 crate before, thats a new one for me. Ive since looked at the Co-op site and this winter they are selling 0.8m3 crates which is even smaller again and smaller than what they were selling last winter too. So it seems for this winter that prices have gone up and/or quantities have gone down. As said Monahans slapped an extra 20 euro on all their crates of firewood last week. And prices in the Co-op have remained the same as last winter but the quantity has actually gone down from 1m3 to 0.8m3, thats 20% less wood for the same price, not a good signal for those of us burning wood. It would be interesting to know whats driving the increases because Revenue say that firewood and wood pellets are exempt from carbon tax.

Either way the Topline 0.89m3/189 euro works out at 211 euro per cubic metre. Which is comparable to other places but Im not sure that 0.89m3 of wood would get a household all the way through to late March, it wouldnt for me anyway and Id end up buying again sometime in early February. Which means a second set of delivery costs, its better to buy what you need for the whole winter imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You're right there vic, I had just looked at it and thought it was 1.2m3. I've never seen a 0.89m3 crate before, thats a new one for me. Ive since looked at the Co-op site and they are selling 0.8m3 crates which is smaller again and smaller than what they were selling last winter too.

So at 0.89m3/189 euro that works out at 211 euro per cubic metre. Which is comparable to other places but Im not sure that 0.89m3 of wood would get a household all the way through to late March, it wouldnt for me anyway and Id end up buying again sometime in early February. Which means a second set of delivery costs, its better to buy what you need for the whole winter imo.

But not everyone uses the same amount of wood, this amount would last me a season easily with some left over, I have a half full log store so this is perfect for me to top it up.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It’s not a 1.2m crate though is it???

From their website - “H: 105cm W: 118cm D: 72cm“

Which equates to 0.89 cbm

Size of timber very important here........big blocks of timber will fill a crate a lot quicker...
    Weight is king.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    But not everyone uses the same amount of wood, this amount would last me a season easily with some left over, I have a half full log store so this is perfect for me to top it up.

yeah for sure people burn different amounts and with logs already in your store that crate from Topline will be more than enough.

Last winter I went through 1.2m3 which got me to from about the 20th October to Paddys day at which point I wasnt buying any more. That was lighting on average 2-3 fires most weeks and 4 fires maybe two weeks of the winter when it was really cold. With my own usage a 0.89m3 crate wouldnt last me the full winter but it would for people only lighting fires around an average of twice a week or slightly over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

yeah for sure people burn different amounts and with logs already in your store that crate from Topline will be more than enough.

Last winter I went through 1.2m3 which got me to from about the 20th October to Paddys day at which point I wasnt buying any more. That was lighting on average 2-3 fires most weeks and 4 fires maybe two weeks of the winter when it was really cold. With my own usage a 0.89m3 crate wouldnt last me the full winter but it would for people only lighting fires around an average of twice a week or slightly over that.

From mid October till about paddy's day I light the stove every day.

Now with two wfh will probably light it all day every day.

I probably wouldn't make it till December with 1.2m3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

limnam wrote: »
    They don't advertise it as 1.2m

I’m not the one that said they did ��

I’m not the one that said they did ��

I didn't say you did....

From mid October till about paddy's day I light the stove every day.

Now with two wfh will probably light it all day every day.

I probably wouldn't make it till December with 1.2m3 :)

Lol thats a lot of burning, you might be best off looking at the 2m3 crates that Monahans are doing. Or if you have the storage space even a couple of trailer loads, from what Ive seen firewood gets cheaper the more you buy. If I had the space to store it Id be buying it in as much bulk as possible.

Im just after lighting the first fire of the year, didnt really need it but hey its Saturday night. But delivery from Monahans isnt until next week so I picked up a bag of logs from Aldi which are absolutely brutal, I could hear hissing from the bark indicating that they are not dry enough. Its a smouldering smokey mess at the moment. I knew they would be soft wood but these yolks are struggling to even burn dont mind give off some heat, a waste of time and money :mad:

Lol thats a lot of burning, you might be best off looking at the 2m3 crates that Monahans are doing. Or if you have the storage space even a couple of trailer loads, from what Ive seen firewood gets cheaper the more you buy. If I had the space to store it Id be buying it in as much bulk as possible.

Im just after lighting the first fire of the year, didnt really need it but hey its Saturday night. But delivery from Monahans isnt until next week so I picked up a bag of logs from Aldi which are absolutely brutal, I could hear hissing from the bark indicating that they are not dry enough. Its a smouldering smokey mess at the moment. I knew they would be soft wood but these yolks are struggling to even burn dont mind give off some heat, a waste of time and money :mad:

Yeah I need to build a bit of shelter. The space is there but not the protection.

I had a bag last year from lidl or aldi and it was the same as you're experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

aw wrote: »
    Topline look to have a super deal on Firewood.

450kg of birch for €150

400KG of ash and oak mixed for €189

The photo looks impressive , but I can tell you now that if that crate of blocks was put into a ''tonne bag '' it would be about half a metre high .
    These blocks are heavy and 450kg might sound a lot , but it has no volume in reality.
    Plus you need to remember that birch burns quickly . Much quicker than oak ash , beech, chestnut.
    Birch is the one with the grey bark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭flipflophead22

Out of those does Ash burn the longest?

2forjoy wrote: »
    The photo looks impressive , but I can tell you now that if that crate of blocks was put into a ''tonne bag '' it would be about half a metre high .
    These blocks are heavy and 450kg might sound a lot , but it has no volume in reality.
    Plus you need to remember that birch burns quickly . Much quicker than oak ash , beech, chestnut.

So if the crate is spread out in a bigger surface ie a tonne bag it will be shorter than if it’s stacked high in a narrow crate ? That’s some cool science right there

2forjoy wrote: »

yeah I burnt some a bag of birch before and its noticable how quickly it goes compared to ash and oak. Even though it is a hardwood it is quite quick burning, I think its better to pay the slight bit extra for oak and ash.

Selling firewood by weight seems a bit misleading to me anyway because he weight of it is related to how dry it is. 450kg of wood at 25% moisture is going to be less wood than 450kg at 15% moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Any other thoughts on the TJ beech for 220 delivered? Its my first year with a stove and probably will only light it twice a week in the evening for a couple of hours, would monahans ash/oak bag for 120 possibly do the trick for the season or am I better off with the crate and try to dry store it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

yeah I burnt some a bag of birch before and its noticable how quickly it goes compared to ash and oak. Even though it is a hardwood it is quite quick burning, I think its better to pay the slight bit extra for oak and ash.

Selling firewood by weight seems a bit misleading to me anyway because he weight of it is related to how dry it is. 450kg of wood at 25% moisture is going to be less wood than 450kg at 15% moisture

I agree that moisture content plays a huge roll, but stacking logs badly with lots of space results in less wood than stacking wood well. I think they are both somewhat flawed measurements but not sure there is much better unless they start providing density of crates/bags and average moisture readings for everything they sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭gooner99

So what is the conclusion on the topline deal, is it a good or bad one?

Are there more robust ways of measurement and quality in other EU Countries that we should be adopting.

I agree that moisture content plays a huge roll, but stacking logs badly with lots of space results in less wood than stacking wood well. I think they are both somewhat flawed measurements but not sure there is much better unless they start providing density of crates/bags and average moisture readings for everything they sell

yeah, good point. The crate I got last year was stacked pretty well, triangular shapes were slotted into one another where possible. But you'll always get some round or half round logs which cant be stacked neatly and create less logs overall in the space.
    gooner99 wrote: »
    So what is the conclusion on the topline deal, is it a good or bad one?

Its a good deal provided 0.89m3 gets you through the winter, depends how much you burn.

yeah, good point. The crate I got last year was stacked pretty well, triangular shapes were slotted into one another where possible. But you'll always get some round or half round logs which cant be stacked neatly and create less logs overall in the space.

Its a good deal provided 0.89m3 gets you through the winter, depends how much you burn.

Thanks. I burn coal too when it's very cold. So this might see me to spring.

Anyone get their top-line delivery yet?

logs i tried on the meter showing about 9-10% not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

gooner99 wrote: »
    Are there more robust ways of measurement and quality in other EU Countries that we should be adopting.

One way is to get the compressed logs? As they're very consistent.

Topline rang me and said 3 weeks for delivery so I cancelled it and went for 1.2m3 of oak instead for €230 and should be with me tomorrow

Good price Omega, where did you order the oak from?

This place in cork

https://www.coughlanfuels.com/

Good stuff, do you have good access to your log store or is it a fair bit of work. Pushed out my own delivery by a week as Im busy with work and will need a few hours free to get it all from the crate into storage. Hoping to land delivery on a dry day too but thats wishful thinking at this time of year.

It’s a kerbside delivery so I just have to walk it around the back of the house, come in handy for a workout now the gym is closed

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Topline rang me and said 3 weeks for delivery so I cancelled it and went for 1.2m3 of oak instead for €230 and should be with me tomorrow

Is that working out a better deal than topline ?

Is that working out a better deal than topline ?

I believe so but I could be wrong, I’m sure someone will be along to tell me soon enough knowing boards :D
    They have 1.2m3 of birch for €220 and going by their Facebook page they are very good to deal with and throw in the odd freebie too

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Co op superstore have crates for 199, 50 euro delivery though. Got one from them last year and it was a good sized crate compared to what I've gotten from other places.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Kiln-Dried-Hardwood-Firewood-Logs

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Co op superstore have crates for 199, 50 euro delivery though. Got one from them last year and it was a good sized crate compared to what I've gotten from other places.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Kiln-Dried-Hardwood-Firewood-Logs

That's 250e for 430kg - Sounds pricey.

I think topline were doing 450kg for 150e delivered.

Advertisement