Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I'd be all over this if tethering was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'd be all over this if tethering was allowed.
    To tether on Vodafone all you need to do is remove the hs.Vodafone.com APN from your phone. Once you remove that you will not get charged extra so long as you stay under your data limit.

I would rarely need to tether but it's handy to have those times when stuck.

Edit: I am referring to use of tethering while at home. Not while roaming on other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

FrostyJim wrote: »
    To tether on Vodafone all you need to do is remove the hs.Vodafone.com APN from your phone. Once you remove that you will not get charged extra so long as you stay under your data limit.

I would rarely need to tether but it's handy to have those times when stuck.

Does that work on an iOS device? I am not sure it is still the case but Apple used to let partner networks specify in their carrier bundles that users are not allowed to amend APNs. It is currently not a problem with Three but while I haven't tried recently I know it used to be the case with Vodafone.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Does that work on an iOS device? I am not sure it is still the case but Apple used to let partner networks specify in their carrier bundles that users are not allowed to amend APNs. It is currently not a problem with Three but while I haven't tried recently I know it used to be the case with Vodafone.

I'm an Android user so I'm not sure. If you can add/remove APNs in the settings then you can.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201699

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

I see in the T&Cs for the offer that "4G cannot be used when roaming and 4G is for mobile phone data use only".

Do I get it right that it means there is no data roaming service whatsoever available with this offer? (I might be wrong but the way this is worded, I supposed that when they write 4G they mean data service in gereral)

You get the red roaming plan as standard. That's what comes up when I login to my account on this offer and check my roaming plan.

https://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming

• Advertisement

I'm an Android user so I'm not sure. If you can add/remove APNs in the settings then you can.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201699

Yes as they say, "If your carrier allows it, you can view the APN settings on your iOS device".

Vodafone definitely used not to allow it. I'll find out soon of they have changed :-)

logically wrote: »
    You get the red roaming plan as standard. That's what comes up when I login to my account on this offer and check my roaming plan.

https://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/red-roaming

Thanks, great to hear - the wording of the T&Cs worried me a bit.

Thanks, great to hear - the wording of the T&Cs worried me a bit.

Better than nothing but 200mb isn't much to play with. Would want all app updates switched off and only switch data on when required.

Yes as they say, "If your carrier allows it, you can view the APN settings on your iOS device".

Vodafone definitely used not to allow it. I'll find out soon of they have changed :-)

Ah yes, you probably can't amend it on Vodafone so.

Better than nothing but 200mb isn't much to play with. Would want all app updates switched off and only switch data on when required.

Yes agreed. I wonder what they will do about it when new EU regulations come to play in 3 months time. In theory they would have to let us use the Irish data allowance in the EU with no additional charge (with - if I understand it right - an option for them to restrict that free roaming use to 20 euros worth of the EU wholesale data roaming rate over each 30 days period, which I think would be a bit over 2GB).

• Advertisement

Yes agreed. I wonder what they will do about it when new EU regulations come to play in 3 months time. In theory they would have to let us use the Irish data allowance in the EU with no additional charge (with - if I understand it right - an option for them to restrict that free roaming use to 20 euros worth of the EU wholesale data roaming rate every 30 days, which I think would be a bit over 2GB).
    Well hopefully they don't go the same way as 3 implying that what we get for topping up is a service benefit and not part of the core service meaning they do not need to offer it abroad. To be honest when you are away you are not on your phone much but is handy for looking up places/maps. 2gb would be plenty for the vast majority.

Well hopefully they don't go the same way as 3 implying that what we get for topping up is a service benefit and not part of the core service meaning they do not need to offer it abroad. To be honest when you are away you are not on your phone much but is handy for looking up places/maps. 2gb would be plenty for the vast majority.

I think it would be harder for Vodafone than for Three to try and make that argument. The difference is that with Vodafone your 20 euros credit gets eaten up for your to activate the offer, while with Three you can keep that credit and use it for something else (so while it is very arguable Three can attempt to say your "core service" - the one you are using your credit to pay for - is not the unlimited data service).

I suspect Vodafone's wording about roaming in the T&Cs is an escape plan to disable roaming on this plan if there is an attempt by regulators to force them to provide a large part or the full Irish data allowance while elsewhere in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I've been tethering using this offer and have had no problems, where could they charge to anyways?

Luno wrote: »
    I've been tethering using this offer and have had no problems, where could they charge to anyways?

They could take it out of your credit if you have any. If your phone tethers using the hs.vodafone.com APN then they say you will get charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I've always been a bit confused by tethering... does that include using the mobile wifi hotspot?

I've always been a bit confused by tethering... does that include using the mobile wifi hotspot?

Yes, that is wireless tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

So for someone with a different payg provider, what are the timeliness involved?
    How much time off the grid can one expect?
    This is for someone that doesn't fit the criteria (!)

Eg

1. Request new VF sim online
    1a Set port date/time when requesting
    2 Receive SIM and wait for port
    3 Do Facebook prep!
    4 Request X plan via Facebook verification
    5 Wait and pray!
    6 Hopefully get verification

So how much time can one expect on the VF network between steps 2 and 6?
    I presume during this timeframe you're on payg with no data plan in place?

What's the failure \ success rate for this process...I'm trying to gauge if it's worth the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

biebiebie wrote: »
    So for someone with a different payg provider, what are the timeliness involved?

Eg

3 Do Facebook prep!
    5 Wait and pray!

What's the failure \ success rate for this process...I'm trying to gauge if it's worth the hassle!

You can do the Facebook verification now. If you are asked to insert your mobile number, you are qualifying for plan. When you know you will qualify then proceed with sim, porting etc. I called into Vodafone store, bought sim and 20 credit, went home and did rest via PC. Up and running in no time. Sim was 10 euro but you get this back plus 50 cent when you register on Vodafone.ie

Eg

3 Do Facebook prep!
    5 Wait and pray!

Do step 3 and 4 first. Then if it validates you do the rest!

Do step 3 and 4 first. Then if it validates you do the rest!

Thanks Jim.

But you have to order SIM as a port, and you need to enter all the porting info when you order the sim.

So how can you avoid the actual porting step until after you know you've been successful?

• Advertisement

Thanks Jim.

But you have to order SIM as a port, and you need to enter all the porting info when you order the sim.

So how can you avoid the actual porting step until after you know you've been successful?

The number doesn't have to be on vodafone for them to verify you. So you can get it sent to your number while you are still on another network. I used a meteor number, not even the same one I ported in.

Interesting snippet from the terms and conditions...

Vodafone reserves the right at its absolute discretion to modify this Offer and to open this Offer to other individuals as and when Vodafone see fit.

So potentially they'll widen the offer over time.

Thanks Jim.

The Vodafone validation page will still send you a verification text message if your Facebook account is accepted, even if your current network isn't vodafone. It will fail at the next step and not actually activate the offer, but it is a way to check that your Facebook profile is acceptable before ordering a SIM (and once you have the Vodafone thing you have to go through the verification thing again, and that time it will complete to the end).

One other piece of advice for people ordering a SIM with their previous number to be ported on it: it might be a good idea to choose a porting date 1 or 2 days later than the earliest one offered by Vodafone's website. I had picked Monday as my porting day as this is what the website had offered me when I ordered the SIM and they indeed ported my number yesterday ... even though I hadn't received my new Vodafone sim, meaning I had no more service from my previous network and was unable to use Vodafone. In the end the SIM arrived this morning and I was only offline for about 18 hours so it wasn't a huge deal, but if the phone was critical to me or the wait for the sim had been one more day I would have started to get annoyed.

Edit: and btw if anyone would like to know: there is no free tethering on iOS devices as when you put in the VF simcard the phone won't let you view or amend APN settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Thanks this is good to know. But strange as the T&Cs mention: "The 20GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below Access Point Networks only: wap.vodafone.ie & live.vodafone.com. Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges."

Maybe for some reason the phone is using another APN for tethering - we can't even check as the settings are hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Doesn't ID Mobile Trump this offer with a better call package & large 30gb 4G data for 15 euro a month which you keep to buy more talktime.
    https://www.idmobile.ie/

homingbird wrote: »
    Doesn't ID Mobile Trump this offer with a better call package & large 30gb 4G data for 15 euro a month which you keep to buy more talktime.

Yes and Three also has a better deal if you only look at the price and the call/text/data allowance you get for it.

Poeple who move to the Vodafone offer will do it because of the better network coverage and faster data speeds.

That's what I'm currently on.
    I live in the city suburbs and rarely find iD 4G over 1 to 2 bars, so I dread to think what it's like elsewhere.
    Other than that I don't currently have any issues.
    Tethering is allowed AFAIK.

I'm thinking that the VF network might offer a more consistent experience in general?

Hmm or does it?
    Look at the VF terms and conditions.

This Offer is subject to a Fair Usage Policy. Vodafone has developed a threshold for the Vodafone X Service which is currently set at 5,000 text messages to any Irish network. Vodafone has also developed a threshold for the Vodafone X Weekend Service whereby from 3pm on Friday to 11.59pm on Sunday the threshold is set at 5,000 text messages to any Irish network, 5,000 minutes to national mobiles and landlines on top of the 100 minutes monthly allocation, 20GB of 4G data per weekend on top of the 20GB monthly data allocation, which in total is up to 100GB of data per 28 days.

• Advertisement

The Vodafone validation page will still send you a verification text message if your Facebook account is accepted, even if your current network isn't vodafone. It will fail at the next step and not actually activate the offer, but it is a way to check that your Facebook profile is acceptable before ordering a SIM (and once you have the Vodafone thing you have to go through the verification thing again, and that time it will complete to the end).

So I tried the above on my current non VF SIM and it reported the following... So does this mean I'll be passed to use the service when I have the VF sim ported? It's not exactly clear is it?

Looks like you're not a Vodafone Customer?
    That's no problem! Bring your student card to one of our retail stores to get signed up!

Advertisement