Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary venue at Ebrington

• 06-10-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭

I saw the new temporary venue going up at Ebrington for the City of Culture events. It's massive. I still think it's a lot of money spent on something that will be taken down again after next year though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I seen it today myself, I personally didn't think it was all that big, I mean if any semi-decent act's come to play they will have to erect a temp stage and have an outdoor concert like they have done previous. I could be wrong but it didn't look all that big capacity wise....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I could be wrong but it didn't look all that big capacity wise....

That depends on how many you think it will hold and how many you think a venue should hold! :D The capacity is 4,000 BTW.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

haven't seen it, but if the city need a 4000 seater venue for a short period, better spend a few tens of thousand now rather than spend 50 million on a hall that will never be filled again......

I remember the Harp arena on the playing fields opposite the George Best Airport in Belfast. I saw Steve Earle & Energy orchard there in about 88...... great venue INSIDE but as soundproof as a field!! the locals weren't too chuffed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Typical Derry, get everything half baked. I think its costing a few million. For that money surely something permanent that could have a legacy after the CoC year would have been wise.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Typical Derry, get everything half baked. I think its costing a few million. For that money surely something permanent that could have a legacy after the CoC year would have been wise.

I mostly agree - it's costing around four million. The thing is - they left it far too late in the day for anything permanent. There wouldn't have been enough time to secure a suitable site, purchase the site, design a venue, apply for planning, secure planning and then construct the building in the time frame available and it would have cost much more than four million.

• Advertisement

Probably right.

Shame though that Derry still won't have anything bigger than the Millennium Forum once the CoC is over. Its very limiting in the artists/bands that will visit the city.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Probably right.

Shame though that Derry still won't have anything bigger than the Millennium Forum once the CoC is over. Its very limiting in the artists/bands that will visit the city.

Indeed. The Millennium Forum has a seated capacity of around 1,000. The Nerve Centre has a standing capacity of around 600. It's woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

Its costing €5million euroto erect for the year, the tent has just been used in wembley and the olympics, I was inside it today and it is pretty impressive, I must say, ok so people saying it a waste of money at £13,000 a day to keep there, but think of the local economy when it host varies event throughout 2013 and the money that will generate, it will be far more than €5million

I'm not disputing the fact that it will serve a purpose well and may well look the part, I am only saying that its a shame that 5million couldn't have been used to provide something more permanent as a legacy of the CoC.

ok but for 5 million you wouldnt even buy the land , get the plans drawn up, many engineers it takes to survey the land and the lenghtly planning process, Im working on it at the moment and they main bulk of the money is been spent on insurance for the year, the tent itself cost £1.5 for the hire for the year, the buildings housing the bar training rooms, toilets are approx half million, ground works are 200,000 approx, and the rest is mostly insurance

• Advertisement

And very little of this money going to Derry firms ....

none of it is going to derry firms, as there is no company in derry that can do the work,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

ok but for 5 million you wouldnt even buy the land , get the plans drawn up, many engineers it takes to survey the land and the lenghtly planning process, Im working on it at the moment and they main bulk of the money is been spent on insurance for the year, the tent itself cost £1.5 for the hire for the year, the buildings housing the bar training rooms, toilets are approx half million, ground works are 200,000 approx, and the rest is mostly insurance
    how dare you come on here and confuse us with your facts and actual hands on experience of the place!!

Don't you realise that this is the internet??????:eek:

How dare i im only stated the facts, realisticly do you really think £ 5 m is going to build a perement structure in all fairness have some cop on, its creating jobs, it will attract visitors to your lovely city that will spend money, so stop crying will ya!

oh crap I taught it was a newspaper !!!

Advertisement