Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamers Refuse to Turn Off Xboxes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

However, we applaud their effort, dedication and moxie -- or insanity, depending on how you look at it
    I could think of a few more unflattering words to describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Lamposts

That's focking sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I say fair play to them. Willing and able to stick with an older game because they believe in it's quality rather than switching from game to game...and then often moaning about the state of affairs.

PC Gamers have traditionally had a luxury in a way because if you can find people who want to play a game, you usually can (look at the QuakeWorld scene for example). All comes to all, you can directly connect to people - although that situation may change.

Peaceful protest :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

fair play to them, this should show that on this occasion, M$ got this decision horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    fair play to them, this should show that on this occasion, M$ got this decision horribly wrong.

16 nutty gamers is hardly "horribly wrong"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

rizzla wrote: »
    16 nutty gamers is hardly "horribly wrong"

he ment the brilliant idea to scrap xbox live!

Tallon wrote: »
    he ment the brilliant idea to scrap xbox live!

Xbox Live will still exist, and get better once they don't have to worry about compatibility with the original console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And this, console kiddies, is why dedicated servers are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

rizzla wrote: »
    Xbox Live will still exist, and get better once they don't have to worry about compatibility with the original console.

how so? at the very least, halo fans should be able to buy halo 2 again on XBLA. halo 2 fans can play the game again and M$ can reap the profit.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    how so? at the very least, halo fans should be able to buy halo 2 again on XBLA. halo 2 fans can play the game again and M$ can reap the profit.

I'm not really into all the coding stuff but they don't have to worry about the Legacy code in the original xbox now I think (Dont even now if that makes sense, maybe a more tech savy person can help me) Which means they can really optimise Live for the 360 solely. Bigger friends lists and clan support are the 2 major things people want, so I hear, don't really care about either myself. But I'm sure MS might have a few tricks up there sleeve too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Gas cnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Eh, no... This is why dedicated servers are bad.

For example: Look at EA, and the amount of "maintenance" and closiing down of servers they've done recently. Even games such as LOTR Conquest, which is less than 2 years old, is now closed. ****ing fail.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I am one of the remaining few. Theres only 12 or 13 of us left I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

class, fair play to ye. so are all of ye just playin in one game now yea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Slugs wrote: »

For example: Look at EA, and the amount of "maintenance" and closiing down of servers they've done recently. Even games such as LOTR Conquest, which is less than 2 years old, is now closed. ****ing fail.

He meant support for dedicated servers that you can run your yourself so you are not reliant on the whims of the game development companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Rob2D wrote: »
    I am one of the remaining few. Theres only 12 or 13 of us left I think.

Get a its called progress get over it. No one is saying that everything that preceded the last is going to be better, far from it but burying your head in the sand and ignoring progress is a mugs game. If the world did what yer doing we would be stuck in caves with flints cause no one wanted to use the new fangled "metal" tools, sure the first version metal tools were probably worse but with time got better because importantly they had more potential to be better than the last.

Move out of the cave and try influence what has potential not the past.
    This just reeks of fanboys clawing at notoriety for a game they loved and want that love recognized.... big clap... hooray ... now move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

fair feics to the lads to holding out,,its an end of an era ,,if u ask me plain simple headshots at there best lol,perfect in the playability sense,campagne would take at least a day for the hardened players and not the silly 6 hour campaine we have become used to with the 360,,and to be honest heres my 2 fingers to microsoft and bill ,,,were paying for a service for wot is a popular game and there closing that down on us you bastard:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Get a its called progress get over it

This is the face of the future, people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A shameful waste of electricity and a waste of air. Just turn them off and move on you sad bastards!

I would say they're a waste of water, but I doubt they've showered recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

As much as I feel for the guys who adored Halo2 and now find themselves sat beside it's hospital bed, you might remember that the reason for shutting down the old xbox servers in the first place was due to them holding back on the latest tech advancements on XBL.

As sad as it may be to say goodbye to such an iconic title, maybe the time is right for it to join the ranks of those who died young and forever shine brightest in our memories like Dean, Morrison and Buckley. Farewell Halo2, it's time to move towards the light now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

it's time to move towards the light now...

You mean 'Reach' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Tallon wrote: »
    You mean 'Reach' ?

That would have worked so much better... damn you, damn you to editorial hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

Can't they use xlink kai?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

hightower1 wrote: »
    Get a its called progress get over it. No one is saying that everything that preceded the last is going to be better, far from it but burying your head in the sand and ignoring progress is a mugs game. If the world did what yer doing we would be stuck in caves with flints cause no one wanted to use the new fangled "metal" tools, sure the first version metal tools were probably worse but with time got better because importantly they had more potential to be better than the last.

Move out of the cave and try influence what has potential not the past.
    This just reeks of fanboys clawing at notoriety for a game they loved and want that love recognized.... big clap... hooray ... now move on.

cool-story-bro-248x300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Meh,if they were going to create a drama then they should have done it with Street fighter 3rd strike instead. Halo's a very good series,but I always found it slightly over rated tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I see you've gone offline rob... xbox die? or did MS just kick ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Slugs wrote: »

That is disgraceful.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No dedicated servers means a return of planned obsolesence....

Or did you really believe their bull about being for the good of the gamers...!

Expect 6-18 months life times for games now and anything longer will require DLC.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

thats deadly fair play to them

• Advertisement
Advertisement