Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I haven't bothered making a list because I'll be working through every branch of my tree. A list would just be everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

new 'image' link appearing on index records on IrishGenealogy - see Joe Buggy's twitter post

I was able to see an image for an 1868 Rathdown birth - full page of the register with 10 births

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

shanew wrote: »
    I was able to see an image for an 1868 Rathdown birth - full page of the register with 10 births

That is good news.
    When I first purchased certs in Joyce House in the 90's you got an image with more then one entry which was great when trying to decipher difficult handwriting.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I wonder does this mean we won't be able to browse the registers? That would be unfortunate, because there are certs I haven't been able to locate by searching the indexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

new 'image' link appearing on index records on IrishGenealogy - see Joe Buggy's twitter post

Same here, I got access to two records so far by searching by name! This could be a very unproductive day work wise!!

• Advertisement

seems to be births only at the moment - haven't found any image links for deaths or marriages. Easy enough to access a batch of records to analyse later - e.g. just downloaded all the pages with births for one surname in a single district for 10 years, including my grandfather and his siblings.

seems to be births only at the moment - haven't found any image links for deaths or marriages. Easy enough to access a batch of records to analyse later - e.g. just downloaded all the pages with births for one surname in a single district for 10 years, including my grandfather and his siblings.

I found one for a 1933 death. Haven't searched for more than that yet.

I've been able to access Marriages and Deaths in my searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

Able to access Deaths aswell as births. Will be a very busy day for me :D

Update: some of the indexes don't have any image.Its says:
    There is currently no image to display. This may be because the record was registered or amended in a later year, or there are quality issues with the original image. I wonder does that mean some havnt been uploaded yet as the official launch day still a bit off as it gives you a link where you can order a copy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm able to see my great great grandmothers sisters birth record, and she's still alive (and 101) - must get on to the DPC immediately! :pac:

(actually, there's an illegible callout on the side of her entry, think its a clarification of spelling of a middle name but not certain. She's sharp enough to still ask the question to though)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've got some marriages already. This is fantastic.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Getting this for a lot of death records between 1865 to 1900:

"There is currently no image to display. This may be because the record was registered or amended in a later year, or there are quality issues with the original image.

Photocopies or official certificates can be obtained via the following link.

If you have any further queries you can contact the General Register Office at gro@groireland.ie."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two great-great-great-grandfathers named and death date windows narrowed down already. I must remember to do some actual work today...

hjr wrote: »
    Getting this for a lot of death records between 1865 to 1900:

"There is currently no image to display. This may be because the record was registered or amended in a later year, or there are quality issues with the original image....."

that's what I'm seeing for any of the deaths or marriages of interest to me - is it just later records for these that seem to be available ?

I guess they're still putting them up - it's early stuff I'm getting that message on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Found one record going to an entirely different page - 1879 Borrisokane opening an 1879 Castledermot page.

I have a record from Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958, which I can't find at all...

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

L1011 wrote: »
    Found one record going to an entirely different page - 1879 Borrisokane opening an 1879 Castledermot page.

I'm quite worried about this, it's happened to me twice so far and I've only looked at about 5 :/

Cootehill, Cavan brought me to Mohill, Leitrim. The other one is the right district and year but wrong page.

This is very early days - they're still putting them up. No one panic!

I've a few I haven't found: all quite early. Once or twice the wrong page is the link. They'll iron these things out: I hope.

Literally haven't moved from the computer in 2 hours...need a sus beag.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just shy of 100 certs acquired. Now to process and understand the data.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Whats up and what isn't of the old stuff is very strange. Got an 1864 (so very start of the line) birth but 1878 death that's probably her father isn't there.

It seems to have reverted to the old site without images.

Genealogy Forum Mod

same here... initially got a 503 service unavailable - and was asked for catcha again, looked like a reboot back to the old. Presume well have to wait until official launch..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

same here... initially got a 503 service unavailable - and was asked for catcha again, looked like a reboot back to the old. Presume well have to wait until official launch..

Captcha not showing for me at all now. I was really enjoying dipping in and out and getting dates etc.

Still, I'm very pleased about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

And it's back..

And it's...Internal Server Error

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

It's been working fine for me since, Hermy, just had to kinda go back in again. Did you get in?

Working for me.

Lots of the older records in the old format of page/volume etc don't have images.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Images are back for me - and they include NI records

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Yes working for me too! Able to see my great grandparents marriage certificate. Of course I already paid for a photocopy many years ago... So many €4s wasted! Little did I know... ;)

Advertisement