Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo S40 - 1.8L -Timing belt or Timing Chain?

• 01-07-2010 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the Volvo s40 1.8L has a timing belt or a timing chain. I am getting conflicting reports?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Vital info missing here. what year is it? 1.8 petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1996 to 2004 original S40 had two differnet 1.8 litre engines, one was a Renault engine while the other was a Mitsubishi engine. I think both engines used a timing belt.

The newer S40 from 2004 onwards 1.8 litre is a Ford engine and has a timing chain afaik.

A quick call to a Volvo dealer with your car's VIN should give you a correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1996 to 2004 original S40 had two differnet 1.8 litre engines, one was a Renault engine while the other was a Mitsubishi engine. I think both engines used a timing belt.

Nope, the only Renault engines the original S40 used were the diesels. The petrol engines were part of the modular block that formed the five and six cylinders in bigger models.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Nope, the only Renault engines the original S40 used were the diesels. The petrol engines were part of the modular block that formed the five and six cylinders in bigger models.

Really, didn't think Volvo made any 4 pot engines under 2.0 litre back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Really, didn't think Volvo made any 4 pot engines under 2.0 litre back then.

Yeah, with the S40/V40 they did. Although its predecessor, the 400 series, used Renault engines throughout.

Volvo had up until recently a modular block of aluminium engines in 4, 5 and six cylinder called the N/RN series. The original S40/V40 used the four cylinders, the S60/V70 used the fives and the S80/XC90 used a combination of the straight fives and sixes. Over the years however, with the introduuction of new Ford based models, these engines have been and are being gradually phased out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Its a 2006 reg petrol engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

The newer S40 from 2004 onwards 1.8 litre is a Ford engine and has a timing chain afaik.

A quick call to a Volvo dealer with your car's VIN should give you a correct answer.
    VolvoMan wrote: »

I was of the same opinion as bazz for the 1.8 - that the 90's S40 used a renault engine first then the tappety Mitsubishi GDi. Swapover was about 98 I think? I've driven both or at least I thought I had!
    The 2.0 was a Volvo engine, and probably a better bet than the 1.8 mitsubishi.

All of which is OT because, just as when someone doesn't specify a location in a post you assume it's Dublin( the known universe as far as some people are concerned), when someone doesn't specify a year of a car you can be pretty sure they are not talking bangernomics...

I'd also agree with Bazz that the 2006 engine would be a Ford engine with a timing chain. But I'd be guessing/assuming. You can wait til someone else comes on here with better info, or check the VIN with a garage, or try to find the engine code and try a parts website to see if you can buy a Tbelt for that engine code?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Excuse my ignorance but what is the VIN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

factnee wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the VIN?
    chassis number, Vehicle Identification Number

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

As Bazz says all 1.8s from 04 on (new shape) have a chain on them.

As for the Renault/Mitsubishi thing--all the 1.9 diesels were Renault up to 04 change over--After that they were/are 1.6s and 2.0 Diesels.
    The 1.8s had 2 types in the old model--One the mitsubishi GDI and the other as far as I know was a Volvo engine in 4 cylinders.The GDI is a piece of crap to be honest and gives nothing but problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement