Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Nissan 200SX

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Panic mode.

20160515_162229.jpg
    20160515_164659.jpg
    20160515_181910.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Its getting there.

Fitted an exedy clutch to my ute yesterday. They are a great quality clutch going by what I've experienced so far

Cleaned plug holes and coil packs
    Fitted Clutch
    Fitted plugs and packs.
    Had the wrong sub-frame got another one this morning.
    Have to clean and spray sub-frame and make trolley.

Picked up fire sleeve for turbo lines.

Tried to fit gearbox but i'm doing something wrong with release bearing or spigot bush.
    Stress levels High but getting there.

Still have to do timing belt but need a crank puller and bigger sockets so that's Sunday.
    Wire in serial port for ECU and Ship to install location.

Collect turbo which is getting welded.

20160519_170618.jpg
    20160519_173641.jpg
    20160519_173723.jpg
    20160519_192051.jpg
    20160519_194000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Did you get the box in?

You have the alignment tool so it really can't be that thats at fault. I'm assuming you test fitted the clutch to the input shaft to make sure it was the correct one? Also check that the pilot bearing (if there is one) fits the nose of the input shaft.

Got caught years ago when i was fitting a 2nd hand gearbox to a truck and the new box had a slightly longer input shaft which was dead heading about 3 mil from home. Only realised when the bell housing cracked :(

Thanks got sorted after allot of gearbox juggling and scratches.

The issue turned out to be the Nismo clutch pivot was the wrong one and so was the slave cylinder.

The pivot was too long. So after loads of colorful language I put the box on with no fork or release bearing and saw it.

20160520_192033.jpg

Got a 90 degree elbow welded on the turbo.

20160521_105106.jpg
    20160522_164600.jpg

Had to swap the subframe for the right one a 33GTST for Syco mounts
    Engine now on sub-frame and the castor wheels are handy.

In an utter balls up I chipped the crank pulley and will be collecting a new old one.

20160522_181356.jpg

Alternator and starter got some paint.

20160522_181534.jpg

Transferred Serial port to new loom from old harness I had. Here is the old

20160522_192331.jpg

• Advertisement

9GxZOyE-JV51wqffN10ak9c7vkolWByxsTQ_lJzT66thfvJTwfJLBG5vqJmCruPCX28G0e4oILJHRGZG3vwvA3lrmaCRZ_-fALwIE7fT7Xvutn0pyVfYd45L0vsUbyvrmw_497rxw8kz-qHvlG0d06ryWA7e0I5TlJAF3gax7Oqh7OM4ird946nUTLTrgDp0h8WSwIuLCsVOnuw7CUTuwQS6T1g5OYauMNTJpxKMW667bg_UuWEjNGGCiMgDqVxVGCsAY2X6HHVpauojADxfQoFCw-X3oFzZDqyoRXk-sp1IzzxiN6zcHKg6kXwJMfCt9E0GRvrtv99g3-70mlJAmx_AoqA2LcI3uyuGBTlQ2_A6UVlJYmCT9LKYF5u3WBOAeE3utE4aNLS5tUolupALEUtioX13AORyMc-bnbIw9tjtdMWlpMwQEfUPsmf-6nrjlgeObjmaE0q2sU_kCkf0w6fVXRBULuyatSLOxxEr7n6Iw9yWZBQ30q6rEKMI7MpoPDIWkZAa015Wb_leGpH0nLfstCzY4k6pY4I7F-IjcGNn4piWjbyioYp7E0RTXnfTVRSoO-jWKGsf-DUNJeDcaq0E-1Hjrl8=s1075-no

Teaser

Need a few weeks had some issues with prop and need to get car moved to shed to finish.

So I hit burn out and had a holiday.
    Should be able to kick off again this weekend.

I have an R32 GTT gearbox not an R33 on the car.
    This means the Prop wont fit and may explain why the clutch pivot and Nismo Slave didn't fit.

In order to simplify the plumbing I have gone with a forward facing intake with a 65mm throttle body. Anyone who does this swap should just budget this in as the pipe work is just a pain.

I had to upgrade the ECU from the old E11v2 as I could not get a base map.
    Mapping from scratch may be too much for me to attempt.
    Learning to Tune is important to me.

The pusher fan I bought will not fit between between the Radiator and the Aircon Fan. I now have a 16" SPAL puller Fan.

TODO:
    1. Wireing Re-pin ECU
    2. Change CAAS Plug
    3. Extend IAT plug wiring
    4. IAC vac line to intercooler pipe
    4. Re-puropse Maf wire as trigger for Fan and Wire Electric Fan.
    5. Loosen belt on Alternator too tight
    6. Plug in remaining plugs and test.
    7. Fill coolant
    8. fill Oil
    10. Run Vac line for Maf
    11. Fill Temporary gearbox with oil
    12. Heat shield turbo plumbing
    13. Test start

-Replace Box (some time in next month)
    -Fit bigger box

So allot still todo just to start it in place and some of the above is simplified..

Medium term:

To get the car engineered I need to replace the CAT and pass an ADR240 emissions test.
    This will require Dyno time and really careful mapping. I suspect the this will be a fun problem involving Gas analyzers and a couple of attempts.

Engineer will then evaluate the car to get everything legal.

Long Term:
    Leave it alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Australia seems like a pain to work on cars in, it does make for better cars long term I guess but jaysus, they wouldn't like me. Haha

Been Slow,

20160618_164757.jpg
    20160618_164830.jpg
    20160618_165728.jpg
    20160619_152909.jpg

Got Earth leads made up and fan wiring with breaker and relay.
    So Should be able to get that sorted this weekend.

Have alternator wiring sorted with Starter + trigger but need to run through all the ecu pinouts to make sure they are correct,

Had order order a fuel rail to clear the plenum.

Hopefully I get close to starting it this weekend.

Clipped up loom and fed some of it back through the firewall so it sits neatly.

2 temper tantrums later

20160626_165826.jpg

Not as much progress as Id like but i'm feeling better about it.

• Advertisement

Finally got some shed time.

20160904_210359.jpg

Still at it

20161016_151302.jpg

Resurrection of the project. No action since about 2016.
    Car ended up in storage due to Weddings and 2 Kids a Cage fight or two and some hectic work/work/life balance.

This year I moved house and pulled the car out of storage moving it close by. Finally got some time on the tools and did some work on it.

The plan is to just get it running and avoid "While its out" or side tracks.
    Just pick away slowly and get it running.

Big Box:
    The big ticket item was the RB "big box" went in (no photos) so the engine and box is all in properly.
    I had made the mistake of fitting a 20det box making the prop not fit. This nearly killed me lifting it in solo.

Breaking the while its out rule
    -Poly bushes on Diff
    -Light flywheel
    -New crank rear main seal
    -Bonus the prop was already lightweight
    -Also the Nismo 1.5/2way diff
    -New Shiftier bush

Psychologically a huge win for me as the box swap solo was a thing of nightmares but its in.

The Car pulled out of Storage.
    TqxGbyZ-SYsWs_CBvVAZti_0ervPCccBbHWGcCCo3Zid8qfetnG7dsl5ziTHfK8ynSpFxuUD_FpoYAuQZs0pSd_3M86nm8ooddXra7kd9pQx6yLH_woLnRWBCyA1C3w3ejFDtCQL37s=w1920-h1080

3YD5WM9n6A0RlVnOojRDJ8QrdMQkSOhq12FsSzgydVctB5iUSpKGJyY-WMNdGY-ps28AnmVtJTds0ihJeQuSfyhYfHNF5-jnz_kUinXNFnE_ZTm9NewVRvk1ocOIE7wKWdFDq-kY42I=w1920-h1080

dnktSjM6DoMLGjY-gNAckTO_K1Hnv4aJUgpAG3scYg6XcMF9XayUNlCMTAZ-abT2sqQvtSaIK0s5PuRQytm2dVSCMPI4fsFXvhsMkuycDmB0kK7yQydsrkINjKKNKUpPEHh9nc3wdE4=w1920-h1080

Timing belt Re-done as I dont trust myself
    I knew less in 2016.

71Jk7_V7ufI_Vg5Lat6OBH59o-z6BjfCyYmBo883H972DtNUwVSIHiiTs0yT6JRkW78klR4_jX9dh1GAaG2vRp-BdsqOPeOTo8zAi5m8g6gijT026SD5gnYsMDAUw7wDcnx7bazU7SU=w1920-h1080

New crank pulley and Radiator in
    Crank pulley is a part of Ross trigger kit but that is another day.

The Spal fans on the radiator a monsters I can see that being too much for the alternator with the walbro but again later. It wont stop it running.

UWCAoVq7BwLvWTKbO-SzwOxfj1F8O9cO_GFKA9jKwy5Dlrlp9ixMnA_kbC9Vh1XIN1Yl97n_4LGT0oHeOfw2R9XShlitqaAxywAUyU0_vdy4-nDaUTcI0dNUnxxPzNg_ghq-AqhmoLo=w1920-h1080

t6u8j7usAJo3RIA9iBzUqfk0G4CffhgUjaNT3GPkcPcqtQjUIc1EwHBY6Z_NVq2ALqm-R8mWNaItN1SBpTGiLHCFXGxXpbKtf1CFhtYWOptvf8-7GJwCj64-PY964-51_fWiK8v32AQ=w1920-h1080

Diff: Got a Nismo 1.5 way fitted as I cant have it frying one tyre and getting me into trouble.
    0h2DIXV3Ep_c_d17AN366IcU9XiFqgUHNRlVk0i3iuQVwCfwZ0HrasHBD-tU5lRqa2JoEpOaHx810KtThgJoAvPaNQ5z3lMZ4lwPTIPxECTaX0WhKkgeey0ZVs9Z7gnN2fs6isbr4bQ=w1920-h1080

No major progress as i'm jammed up with new job and life in general.

Booking Fabricator to button up exhaust , cat , cooler pipework and new core. So that should get me a full working hot and cold side.
    Expect to have that done by mid/late march.

Bought wiring bits and tools to make up looms for sensors / bits
    -Fuel pressure
    -Oil pressure
    -Flex fuel sensor
    -Knock sensors
    -Boost control
    -Wide-band
    -Fans

So a bit to do.

Some coolant lines need sorting and that should get me to start-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You make me guilty for bailed on my projects having not touched them in a year. :D

CianRyan wrote: »
    You make me guilty for bailed on my projects having not touched them in a year. :D

I think i did 2-3 years already of not touching it.
    I need to finish this car before another year goes by.

Update:

Bought an inter-cooler core. So fab guy will be on to me monday to book in

Turbo oil Drain is off getting welded. So spent some time doing some wiring.
    Cat also arrived so Fabricator is here in one Month to do cooler pipework and exhaust.

Ok started on the Fan wiring.

The spal fans are 6amps - 7amps a piece and when I ordered kit i sized everything for 22amps as I was wiring them.
    Then went with recommendation on wiring them independent of each other so everything is way over sized but look it wont melt...

ACtC-3f3mS6CrZFtTKhCX4xus-Zg59zb2lWyHkAqR2A0T2IKEcIDpBdIVfbmKBZ-QQ1DtAaQeCUEzAw9A0qmdcXaGgI1Bxjsag8K1CBForuYXMhp-pAfSQm4bq6KNYFUNet9kSyH-Njrh2fwMxjRu6bPo_MOFQ=w933-h1244-no?authuser=0

Ill sleeve the cable and mount it properly next but loving the DTP connectors.

ACtC-3fKRlHHUdfin7j-jEDpy7S7abyT6X51e_jxpvpX5_UzVRjmhWzw_Gnx_1-ZEXD4OskcDz25caUKM9N_1d5n3LOIoCL7R3IaxGKmEdcCuhVhagYJtBR36rgHot9YIFRymmus9otnLWjtJfMmIdC7XLgHYw=w1016-h762-no?authuser=0

Not even close to perfect. But it wont burn my car down and doesn't look too bad.
    Will need to re-purpose some wires on the MAP sensor plug but job done.

On to Plumbing in Fuel lines and coolant lines.
    I also need to drain the fuel tank of whatever is in there and sort out Pump, Pump wiring, Reg, Pressure sensor.

ACtC-3dZ-nHJ4ornh-bkmiTAP5w2BmcKWEjJw19w8aNSPOzYUL2TAhKaegM_7EVafKow_ZjShRJtxEwkilG5-3SvY8dzrfiYbSKvgokHxbpm3kXCvU83bchlL6nYgFyMWLfi0EBbHppTS8UIw4oqnuB90V3-Iw=w690-h920-no?authuser=0

mopped the floor after that.

Ok Starting to look like a car again.

Spent on a fab guy to make up quality intercooler pipework. He also mounted a new plazmaman intercooler which is a better job than the china unbranded core I had on it which was fine for a stock sr20.

So now need to knock up new clamps and flush out the pipes.
    Unfortunately, he couldn't tackle the exhaust and I need to figure out that one.

Fits my I don't want it to stand out from a stock s14 (if I get the pipes painted black behind the bumper)

ACtC-3eTJNCKjVVBevuxfzwLYPeBi_o6_dlqyXAG4xbIciNc2rMjDmfljvY4hdHVmDf4MiHoq_fGEJ7keNa8_TD8O6JN-wzAoBf9meUDlx_c3BMr1B2AeDJtNhEMRY5GiCwuZyMYMvCeY1IaVRef-9bmQlOYNQ=w1280-h720-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3emkkE6Wyhd35lTerWxvAhye5NvKvjWvV_1MvrXlOd2FIW_gGDkbGR4D55i3oQsvqEJitB_RFKqalCjW37szgclfjh4kDqIUQKLLUaSY0HlucWSVEKQhBnSyF1QuNQGqQA9ua-TP9ZtQOBjlsHwCb942Q=w1654-h1240-no?authuser=0

Sump ready to go in. Again overkill for a car that will do very little. Due to covid iv been waiting on that since August.
    The current sump is dented a bit.

ACtC-3fDpsS5Pajp-aVa8B37PgpBPfAGC2-qKr-9NUHpZhAc9YfzzWMGP4aaZ_MsboiALeJC6-P-L5VFtbrU-4xXV4QJxDHg2b6OAI8FZhPOLtGoDjNb8btu1dsZYCLeQv5gZyMVrPvQMjTuFrcVl6mMGPAhkg=w1654-h1240-no?authuser=0

Bit of a struggle to keep the project moving. But its moving.

Who knew changing a sump would be a real pain.
    Nissan RTV is tough stuff.

Then I couldn't get it to clear the pickup with sub-frame in.
    -ARB off
    -Tried jacking the engine from the Box for some wiggle room.
    -Now lowered the sub-frame a little on the bolts with box jacked.

ACtC-3cItShVDzeOTk0Lx_12ACJsFAEc-aQ_KxxYjbp0FGji2F1WDmLPWldnqaTvlEKCL1oB5Z-oZDzBv-yFwWhmAzh1utSIHgI4bpg_5zhvjeeh5p-AicCnhMB-MtVqkaGCrd3nOVjntvbnF0zVWIaN4JTsnQ=w976-h1297-no?authuser=0

Will see how I go tonight but may need to lower the frame on a jack and support the engine and box.

May need to drop the rack and or frame ....

• Advertisement

Its in.

Hand tight to cure for 24 hours. What a pig.

Got it my taking an engine mount out and jacking the gearbox up.
    Hopefully the RTV didnt smudge too much and it seals. I wont get at it for another week now and bolt it up.

Had to shorten the turbo drain so that is out one more time as i confirmed the drain forward is an oil drain while sump was out.

Sump is done.. No more dents...

ChWmqjc4_NKYAurxkehYECBVJabOJphlQXnEcGAj81yNfc1B93rHX4Bck683u24BDAhaXGLK26FbIuPvxhFRSF2Jikc73yXo-C52wr2ZJqVbqkOCCTQajtkC6arZLdKuc09lNN1eiKwPqKwIKJhsacEinPhJFCwYmb9qeLN2Rpj4S5V7POeAe_rnSWEYXPDqBTJ5cMIyCKRxQJPx5oK7bYI_Hp1M9cRUUwCknAQzEoUzogMOjv4ftp1RdWixzEPhKNrd439iTG6q8XWoeeh3QIK1K9u9YZqB-2RP3YcbESF7KYSvhUn6ZuP9FPgrcVU3nUEPPZbMk4LaWxC56BySLErtTDQiB95oKIvLOKbu7ccSLCMr_2KWTO0cEFE4HRiz9RxpjETUOpQB4IUykQz8Q2KuOtt_5oc-RPaKk1egMJIiWYNqDHJnCLRAEOgqoSTj4XJonPm8S9GDgd21Y5DB4uXDAWlSDyXqMFDvQGFYqyUJVma-v6I7fxC7vliHsEsQs7au3Oc79OQqE38zscRq5gVdKycBuHhHmB4WDyJE0lBmA44J_dkDa9Z0Rl5UNridUUIHTJWU9aBbmnatwyZUlT1TFD8_nITHUr3o9GP7adBC4HUBJOMgt_b4OYJn_gsf4PCkd0XQ6YF6yJZ3enr6MCS-z4TBRdPZl53LoKjl_skuxQDxsecJZOqovhtQfqV6HV9hBIKyK23L19aRCX3S8V07=w1207-h907-no?authuser=0

Update Its been a while.

Bumper cut and re-fitted. Had the pipes powder coated black so the intercooler is less obvious.

New Clamps in place all heavy duty 18mm wide high torque clamps

Battery Relocated - Re-done.

Batter relocation was not great when I bought the car and the earth was tek screwed to the body.

Ran a new earth to the block from the boot in 0AWG/50MM2 cable and re-did all the lugs and battery terminals. So every thing is now Star Point grounded with overkill cables.

The original relocation was done by a previous owner and was sketchy. So glad this is all tidy now

The breaker is now mounted properly and is a continuous 100Amp breaker with a 200AMP or so peak load. (I think)

Fuel Tank Rust

Went to fit a new pump and the tank is not a good place. Fuel sitting created sludge and rust in the tank. This is going to be a bit more work to clean out. My own fault for leaving fuel in the tank for a few years.

Going to try and clean it out without removing the tank as its a sub-frame out to get access to the tank.

This is likely what killed the injectors.

Plan is to de-grease, vinegar clean and run e85 through it and the lines to see what comes out of the tank. I have filters to run it through.

Debating if I bite the bullet and upgrade the fuel lines since this job became a bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

As someone who has had to re-do jobs over or had to do them twice ect... I'm a big beleiver that often the "short cut" is the "long way round"

I know it'll be a pain in the arse, but I'd drop the tank out so you can clean it properly & inspect it properly once you're done, it'll be much harder to clean that tank in place & it will never be done as well as it could be out of the car. Also I'd replace the lines too, a whole new clean system end to end would mean no chasing stupid fueling issues later.

I think your right. Its a major job to get the tank out as its a sub-frame out Job to get to the tank.

It has already cost me a set of 1000cc injectors.... Could have cost me an engine.

This project has become a never ending story :)

Been reading through this build thread now. Slow progress is still progress! Great build. Hoping to get myself a s14 at some stage soon once my house is sorted. Prices at the moment are gone insane.

Reg and flex fuel .

Ticked the reg and flex fuel sensor off to the side. Just waiting on some fittings to button that up.

Fuel Tank Rust

Flushed with De-greaser, cleaning vinegar and fresh fuel. 

Scrubbed it by sticking my hand down there with rubber gloves. 

Cleaned up the old pump and bracket to use it to circulate fresh fuel through the system before dumping the fuel. 

Oil Cooler/Heater Bypass

Bypassing the factory oil cooler. To get the car going and will after it runs put in the oil-cooler and remote filter.

Access under the manifold will be a bit easier and I have less stuff to go wrong.

Trying to be brutal now on just get it running.

Fuel system at the back of the car all enclosed. Walbro 450 is wired in.Waiting on a new used pump bracket to fully close it up 

Went with an aftermarket fuel hat just to have the provision for bigger lines later and Deutsch connectors letting me run bigger wires and solid crimps.

Relays:

The relay is a TE 12V monster which is big enough i can run may more off it if I need more pumps later.

But it really went in because its neat.

Next ISSUE:

The next issue I have run into is the wiring loom is making contact at the back of the fuel rail. 

I need to remove the old coolant line brackets at the back of the block to tuck the loom out of the way of the fuel lines.

Some time spent on it over Christmas.

The clean powder coated rocker covers fitted

Breaters plumbed up

PAS is a bit of pain. 

Going to abandon rubber lines and waiting on AN adapter for Power steering reservoir. 

Advertisement