Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 Graduates: the rest of your life that happens after the marathon

• 06-11-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

Hello all, and welcome to this year’s edition of the graduates thread! :D

As many of you will know, the yearly Dublin Marathon Novices thread is one of the best things on boards.ie (and in life in general), where all of the agony, joy, heartbreak, worry and satisfaction of doing your first marathon somehow gets a community of runners together on the internet to try and help make it work out more enjoyable than it might have been otherwise, both as a member of a community and also as a runner. The graduates thread traditionally happens soon after the marathon and attempts to keep you all together in a kind of post-club 3AM “all back to my gaff” sort of way. We might lose some people along the way, and it might get messy at times but it’s where the best stuff really happens... wait, what were we talking about again?

Unfortunately for this year’s set of graduates there were no good or available candidates to run the thread and so after much angst and desperation the wise elders of Athletics & Running asked me to look after this year’s graduates :pac:

Who am I? I’m a proud 2015 Mentored Novices Graduate and somehow I’ve kept running and posting to boards since then. My own background wasn’t sporty at all, I’m a classic midlife crisis hobby jogger :) I have benefitted hugely in my life from both running and the boards.ie Athletics / Running community and am delighted to be given the opportunity to lead you astray help you grow as runners.

So what do we all want to get out of a graduate thread? Really it’s about keeping the community together and helping each other grow. After your first marathon, you’re probably as fit as you’ve ever been and slightly bitten by the running bug. There are many however many directions you can go: more marathons, ultra-marathon runner, track speedster, mountain goat, cross-country mud lover, speedy sprinter and possibly even a triathlon… person. The race announcer from the Dublin Marathon and Race Series regularly uses this quote from Dr. Seuss before most races which is a little bit corny but also totally true:

You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself
    any direction you choose.
    You're on your own. And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

Ok, there’s the inspirational quote bit done! Now, what are we going to do on this thread?

Just like Mr. Guappa so expertly did on the Novices thread, I’ll ask weekly questions of you all. I’ll also set a weekly challenge, which will be running orientated. This is a new part of the graduates thread, and hopefully it’ll work out :) The purpose of the challenge is to maybe try one or two new things out or explore areas related to running. The challenges won’t be anything too difficult and are not mandatory at all, but it should add a little bit of fun, variety and comradery to the thread. Finally, we should all be following some sort of structured plan and telling each other how it’s going. I will be recommending KSU’s 2016 graduates plan which is designed exactly for this purpose. I think it’s a great plan as it’s time based, rather than orientated around distance. The plan has an initial base building which is ideal for building back up after a marathon. There is some solid progression in it and will bring most runners along, and there are also race distance specific plans to follow after the base building phase. If it’s not for you or you have some other ideas of a plan to follow, then by all means do you want to do but do let us know what you’re up to and how it’s going. Whatever you do, it is important to retain structure and consistency, as these are the fundamentals of improving as a runner.

The graduates thread is also a good opportunity to ask questions. I won’t have all the answers, but will help out where I can. Other graduates are also very much encouraged to give their own answers and I’m sure that other folks from the boards running community will drop in with their wisdom too. I recommend taking advantage of the thread and community at large, as it’s an amazing opportunity to learn and grow as a runner, as well as contributing back to the community. There’s no such thing as a bad question, or answer, here.

Finally to kick things off, here are a couple of questions for you all to answer in the thread.

1. Do you have any goals over the next few months? What are they and why?

2. What would you like to get out of this thread?

p.s. it’s totally ok to participate in the thread if you aren’t a Dublin City Marathon 2019 graduate. No matter what your background, do feel free to participate fully. It might be a bit weird if Eliud Kipchoge showed up and started asking some questions and posting his weekly updates, but if you’re not him then it’s all good.

p.p.s congrats to skyblue46 on correctly guessing the next mentor. Who's gonna be next year's Novices mentor? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great choice of Mentor. You’ll be brilliant Singer.

Just to add, if you don’t mind, The Pace calculator used for the grads plan is: https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

The one on the notes page is not used anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nice one B, great to see you taking this on against your will for the new graduates!

To the new graduates, as Singer mentioned, you will be undoubtedly shopping around to see which plan suits you best, once you've decided what the next 12 months has in store for you.

Personally, I'd say you can't go wrong with the graduates plan. I benefitted hugely from it throughout this year as it saw me though some very satisfying PB's at 5 mile, 10 mile, half marathon (x2) and marathon distances.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress and best of luck to you all as you spread your wings, you have a superb mentor in Singer!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats Grads you are moving from the mentorship of some super safe hands to another.
    As I said in the Novices Thread let this be the beginning of your journey and not look on DCM19 as the end of it. Im looking forward to seeing loads and loads of 5k and 10k PBs in early 2020 under Singer's stewardship (should be a spike in work runmutes too!).
    All the very best in your new role B, no bother to ya.

PS. I seem to remember Kipchoge posting a Berlin Marathon race report in here before so maybe he might pop in from time to time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Correctly guessing? Not quite. It was a stonewall certainty as far as I was concerned. In terms of being able to help the grads, being a regular and positive poster and being a generally sound bloke there was only going to be one standout candidate. Congratulations and, on behalf of many, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great choice. Congrats Singer.

In fairness to skyblue he had so many candidates on the guess list he was bound to be right with one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Thanks Singer for taking us under ur wing :)
    I had a great DCM and count myself very lucky. I came in at 4:32, probably 13min under my 'wish list' time, after niggling injuries and the usual life crises leading up to a big day. Going forward, i would love to break PBs upto HM distances.
    To date my pbs (all in last few months) are
    5k 24:xx
    10k 54:xx
    HM: 2:04

Im def a mid life crises runner :) only started last year. It has changed my life. Looking forward to following the grads plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

kulekat wrote: »
    Thanks Singer for taking us under ur wing :)
    I had a great DCM and count myself very lucky. I came in at 4:32, probably 13min under my 'wish list' time, after niggling injuries and the usual life crises leading up to a big day. Going forward, i would love to break PBs upto HM distances.
    To date my pbs (all in last few months) are
    5k 24:xx
    10k 54:xx
    HM: 2:04

Im def a mid life crises runner :) only started last year. It has changed my life. Looking forward to following the grads plan !

Great stuff kulekat, and well done on coming in well under your target at DCM! It sounds like you'll really enjoy the graduates plan. Have you any races in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great choice. Congrats Singer.

In fairness to skyblue he had so many candidates on the guess list he was bound to be right with one.

1/8.... Odds on favourite! I'll say no more :D

Singer wrote: »
    Great stuff kulekat, and well done on coming in well under your target at DCM! It sounds like you'll really enjoy the graduates plan. Have you any races in mind?

Im doing run the line as a slow walk run in a few weeks, other than that possibly the jingle bells 5k. That will tell me if all the lsr's increase speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Delighted to see this thread startup and the choice of graduate mentor. Whilst I probably won't follow the graduates plan, I do want to participate and get advice from other fellow runners in the thread. Having ran DCM19 in 3.26 I'm hoping to continue on improving my times over the various distances and eventually build up to next years DCM (already entered!)

I'm going to follow a plan that my OH did 2 years ago, which will average about 40 miles a week. It involves a lot of varied runs (including a lot of easy running) which seems interesting to me. Having followed the P&D 55 mile plan for the DCM19, I should be ok for it. Next target race is Dungarvan 10 in Feb which I hope to go under 70mins. Might also do the Togher 5k around Xmas too. I still think endurance is the main weakness I need to work on so will try to average 40 plus weekly miles for 2020.

Well obviously to run a sub 3 hour marathon, let me know how to do that mr mentor (congrats btw) :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Thanks so much for taking us on, Singer :)

DCM 2019 was not my first marathon but I hadn’t raced one since 2002 so it was like beginning again. I have been running off and on and participating in races just for fun since college (I’m 43 now) but really want to focus on it this year and be more consistent. I really enjoy the gym/cardio classes and other sports but this is where my passion is and I want to be more organized in my approach. I will continue to participate in other activities (body combat, body pump, and maybe yoga if I can) but running will be my priority.

My goal this year is to improve my recent times in 5k, 10k, 10 miles, 1/2 and the full 26.2. I feel like my endurance is pretty good, I just need to work on speeding up :)

2019 PBs were 1:01:07 for 10k, 1:44:49 for 10 miles, 2:16:54 for 1/2, and 5:05:17 for the full. I haven’t done a 5k in recent memory. Parkruns unfortunately don’t suit as my kids are involved in sports on Saturday mornings all over the place.

I know I’m capable of quicker times, particularly for the marathon so looking to work on that.

So far, I’ve signed up for the Jingle Bells 5k, the Trim 10 mile, and DCM 2020. I’ll likely also do the Killary Gaelforce Bray Cliff 10k in April, Women’s Mini Marathon in May, the Bay 10k and definitely the three KBC race series races.

Right now I am following Hal Higdons post marathon recovery program, which is 5 weeks long, ending with a race which for me will be the JB 5k. After that I’ll switch to the grads plan.

Thanks again for the thread and guidance. The novices thread was invaluable to me and helped me stick to a plan instead of my usual haphazard approach to running and races. Looking forward to the year ahead and participating in this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Hello all, and welcome to this year’s edition of the graduates thread! :D

As many of you will know, the yearly Dublin Marathon Novices thread is one of the best things on boards.ie (and in life in general), where all of the agony, joy, heartbreak, worry and satisfaction of doing your first marathon somehow gets a community of runners together on the internet to try and help make it work out more enjoyable than it might have been otherwise, both as a member of a community and also as a runner. The graduates thread traditionally happens soon after the marathon and attempts to keep you all together in a kind of post-club 3AM “all back to my gaff” sort of way. We might lose some people along the way, and it might get messy at times but it’s where the best stuff really happens... wait, what were we talking about again?

Unfortunately for this year’s set of graduates there were no good or available candidates to run the thread and so after much angst and desperation the wise elders of Athletics & Running asked me to look after this year’s graduates :pac:

Who am I? I’m a proud 2015 Mentored Novices Graduate and somehow I’ve kept running and posting to boards since then. My own background wasn’t sporty at all, I’m a classic midlife crisis hobby jogger :) I have benefitted hugely in my life from both running and the boards.ie Athletics / Running community and am delighted to be given the opportunity to lead you astray help you grow as runners.

So what do we all want to get out of a graduate thread? Really it’s about keeping the community together and helping each other grow. After your first marathon, you’re probably as fit as you’ve ever been and slightly bitten by the running bug. There are many however many directions you can go: more marathons, ultra-marathon runner, track speedster, mountain goat, cross-country mud lover, speedy sprinter and possibly even a triathlon… person. The race announcer from the Dublin Marathon and Race Series regularly uses this quote from Dr. Seuss before most races which is a little bit corny but also totally true:

You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself
    any direction you choose.
    You're on your own. And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

Ok, there’s the inspirational quote bit done! Now, what are we going to do on this thread?

Just like Mr. Guappa so expertly did on the Novices thread, I’ll ask weekly questions of you all. I’ll also set a weekly challenge, which will be running orientated. This is a new part of the graduates thread, and hopefully it’ll work out :) The purpose of the challenge is to maybe try one or two new things out or explore areas related to running. The challenges won’t be anything too difficult and are not mandatory at all, but it should add a little bit of fun, variety and comradery to the thread. Finally, we should all be following some sort of structured plan and telling each other how it’s going. I will be recommending KSU’s 2016 graduates plan which is designed exactly for this purpose. I think it’s a great plan as it’s time based, rather than orientated around distance. The plan has an initial base building which is ideal for building back up after a marathon. There is some solid progression in it and will bring most runners along, and there are also race distance specific plans to follow after the base building phase. If it’s not for you or you have some other ideas of a plan to follow, then by all means do you want to do but do let us know what you’re up to and how it’s going. Whatever you do, it is important to retain structure and consistency, as these are the fundamentals of improving as a runner.

The graduates thread is also a good opportunity to ask questions. I won’t have all the answers, but will help out where I can. Other graduates are also very much encouraged to give their own answers and I’m sure that other folks from the boards running community will drop in with their wisdom too. I recommend taking advantage of the thread and community at large, as it’s an amazing opportunity to learn and grow as a runner, as well as contributing back to the community. There’s no such thing as a bad question, or answer, here.

Finally to kick things off, here are a couple of questions for you all to answer in the thread.

p.s. it’s totally ok to participate in the thread if you aren’t a Dublin City Marathon 2019 graduate. No matter what your background, do feel free to participate fully. It might be a bit weird if Eliud Kipchoge showed up and started asking some questions and posting his weekly updates, but if you’re not him then it’s all good.

p.p.s congrats to skyblue46 on correctly guessing the next mentor. Who's gonna be next year's Novices mentor? :D

Singer really appreciate you taking us on. The boards plan and mentor support were invaluable for my DCM training.
    My goals over the next few months are to work on my times from 5k to half marathon. I'm not doing a marathon next year - if I do it again I'd like to do it as a faster runner with a decent hope of getting in under my 2019 time. I have signed up for Jingle Bells (and have promised to bring flap jacks for after!) and the Trim 10 mile. I'll likely also do the Mullingar Half on Paddys Day a and maybe the Great Ireland Run for my 10k.

I run with my local club but I stepped back from it during my training for DCM and opted for the boards plan instead. I'm hoping to mix and match between the grads plan and some club sessions to keep up with the gang. I loved all the easy miles of the boards plan but my clubmates just think I've lost it running so slowly! Since DCM I've done three easy runs and a short fartlek session at the track. I'm running 10k with clubmates Sat morning which will be their version of easy rather than mine. I had a quick look at the base plan - what's a progression run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great choice, ye are in the safest of hands with Singer. Best of luck B, am sure your performance here will be every bit OMFG as DCM was.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

eabha19 wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the base plan - what's a progression run?

Nothing overly elaborate start run as easy pace and increase pace incrementally with the ones in base plan you are in around marathon effort for last 5-10 min so not a hard session at all.

Best of luck to all graduates your in safe hands with S a perfect example of discipline patience and perseverance he won’t steer you wrong and will have you all running sub 3s with him before long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

I had a quick look at the plan & it seems to be a 5 day running week.

If you had to drop a day which one would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Delighted to see this up and running. Thanks, Singer, for agreeing to take it on. You all are going to go from strength to strength under Singer's mentorship - I just know it!

Tempted to join in myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Tempted to join in myself!

You're totally welcome to and would be great to have onboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Two initial goals:
    1. Improve my physical durability through S&C 2-3 times a week, this has begun already - DCM broke me physically so I need to get stronger.
    2. Complete Donadea 50K within the 5 hour cutoff in February.

I'm not sure yet. :confused:
    should be a spike in work runmutes too

I'd be interested to get some info surrounding runmutes, it was something I wanted to do towards end of the Novice program but didn't want to change my routine prior to DCM.
    Do people do it both ways or go one way and then public transport the other? I'm leaning towards running in to Dublin City but I'm not sure the decline all the way there is going to be of benefit versus the slight incline the opposite way. I do prefer morning runs though. :confused:
    How should they be run due to the added weight of a backpack? Should pace be slower due to elevated HR? (I'm assuming elevated HR due to extra weight) I'm required by work to bring my laptop home with me so that's 1.5Kg already before adding phone/clothes/lunch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the thread Singer :)
    I'm delighted that the graduates are in such great hands.

You guys will have lots of fun with the grads plans - they are very enjoyable, interesting and effective. In the past year I have followed the base plan, 5k/10k plan and intermediate marathon plan and thoroughly enjoyed all the training, as well as seeing progress in my times across all distances.

Best of luck with your future running guys. I'll follow with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Thanks Singer for taking this on - I really have to admire the commitment of the various mentors across the threads (both past and present). Fair play to you all. I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

Goals (ish)

I've signed up for Belfast and Dublin again next year, and will have a think about targets in the in coming months. Going to round the pb year out with a crack at 10k Seeley Cup at the end of November. I set my 10k pb in the Belfast half in September so all things being equal, it should be beatable - following a narrow 3 week plan for this, with training started on Monday. After that, I will work out targets for 2020 - I haven't got a training plan yet, but that will come in good time.

What am I hoping to get out of the thread

Mainly to stay motivated, encouraged and the answers to questions that I didn't know I had - that's what I have found most valuable to date. You don't know, what you don't know. I want to improve times, but in a steady progressive way and I think this thread will help.

Thanks again to all who give up their time and energy to keep us motivated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Brilliant, great to see this get started already. I loved being part of this thread last year, it's such an exciting stage getting stuck into what's next and seeing what everyone else does too. Good luck graduates!
    Ah you wouldn't turn Kipchoge away though would you? Thought you and him go way back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

skyblue46 wrote: »
    ...In terms of being able to help the grads, being a regular and positive poster and being a generally sound bloke there was only going to be one standout candidate...

Then why didn't you accept the role? :P

Seriously though, congrats B, well deserved and I'm sure it'll be the career highlight you're hoping for.

I think that I can PB at every distance (1m up to marathon) again in 2020 (no pressure), so my target for the first half of the year is to focus on the shorter stuff, while also trying to up the overall mileage (a careful balance), as I think I need to build on my endurance.

I haven't signed up for any races yet, although I was hoping for an easy 4k/8k PB at the start of December, but they're sold out. I'm on a waiting list, but not too hopeful. Will probably start the year off with Raheny 5m (?? January) and Lusk 4m (01 March).

Beyond that, I haven't started looking for any races to target, although I'm guessing the BMS 5k and Bob Heffernan 5k will be in May, both fast races. Still need to start looking at what 10k/m & HM races I could focus on.

I've really enjoyed "virtually" training with the other novices and hopefully we can all build on our achievements as graduates. All advice and support is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Thank you Singer. No real plans yet, still in recovery mode. Want to get some speed back. Probably do 5K Dec 26th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2016 grad here. I used the grads intermediate plan for DCM 2017, Connemara 2018 and the 5-10k part too, with the base before each. Youse are in great hands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

Thank you Singer. No real plans yet, still in recovery mode. Want to get some speed back. Probably do 5K Dec 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Firstly, thanks very much for doing this. You could be tapping in your credit card details for a far inferior service.

Main goals for me is to keep up the running and develop a better base before I launch into any marathon training again.

I think this thread and the structure of a plans and support will help me get PB's at shorter distances.

2016 grad here. I used the grads intermediate plan for DCM 2017, Connemara 2018 and the 5-10k part too, with the base before each. Youse are in great hands now.

Thanks :) whats connemara half like? Def planning it next year! Not the full though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sorbet

Thanks Singer for mentoring - much appreciated.

I started running 18 months ago on a c25K plan and reasonably quickly decided to scratch that marathon itch I had always had.

Missed my target by about 7 mins coming in at 4.47 so I'm not one of life's speedsters but I enjoyed the experience so much that I've signed up for DCM 2020.

What I loved with the Boards plan was that I just had to do what the plan and my mentors told me to do. I was already beginning to wonder what I should do next when along comes this thread and I can start off with the base plan, thanks.

In terms of targets, my first ever races were the KBC race series last year so would love to improve my times at all those distances if possible. Current times are;
    10k 53.13
    10 mile 1.34.08
    Half 2.02.56
    Full 4.47.18

Will watch and learn what everyone else targets after the base and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭Charliebull

thanks for doing this, hooked already

Improve the overall fitness level and the PB, 5k in february, 10 mile in march, half marathon in june or july either achill or waterford (would both be too much) and back to DCM to improve the time

being able to tap into a good training plan with good support, I am not in a running club and train alone and its nice to be bale to bounce queries off people

would yoga or pillates count or a lunchtime 30 min spinning class

what does 10 x 100 strides ap with full recovery mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great choice of Mentor. You’ll be brilliant Singer.

Just to add, if you don’t mind, The Pace calculator used for the grads plan is: https://runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php

The one on the notes page is not used anymore.

Interested in how the training paces on that calculator translate to what we've been used to thus far. ie. is very easy a recovery pace? easy an lsr pace? etc etc.

Advertisement